Leaving gift ideas

AlexMC

• Members

I'm about to leave employment after 8 years in the same office; I was asked today for suggestions for a leaving gift and TBH am stumped for ideas. I am the sort of guy who identifies a product I want, saves intensively and purchases it, i.e. I rarely have anything on my 'wish list' for too long.

My thoughts immediately turned to music gear but even in this area I don't tend to have an extensive wish list... so I was hoping for some inspiration from the forum priced around

• Members

Fuzz!

You could probably get quite a nice pedal of some sort for that sort of money. Alternatively - as you're about to go off travelling, aren't you? Or did I confuse you with another forumite? - I'd suggest a nice little travel amp - a Vox DA5, maybe (I think they come in at about eighty quid?).

Do the folks at your job 'get' this sort of gear? Would it be worth considering / help you choose in any way if you looked towards something that somebody who'd never touched a guitar would 'get', from pov of it might be nice for them (if there's nothing you really, really need / want right now) to see you get something that they can see immediately how you'd appreciate it? I'm articulating this really badly, but you follow?

• Members

You could probably get quite a nice pedal of some sort for that sort of money. Alternatively - as you're about to go off travelling, aren't you? Or did I confuse you with another forumite? - I'd suggest a nice little travel amp - a Vox DA5, maybe (I think they come in at about eighty quid?).

Do the folks at your job 'get' this sort of gear? Would it be worth considering / help you choose in any way if you looked towards something that somebody who'd never touched a guitar would 'get', from pov of it might be nice for them (if there's nothing you really, really need / want right now) to see you get something that they can see immediately how you'd appreciate it? I'm articulating this really badly, but you follow?

Yeah, if I was in a similar position, I don't know that I'd recommend anything that would involve sending non-musicians running around looking for a specific piece of gear that they aren't the least bit familiar with. I think it would be more considerate just to tell them your favorite restaurant, favorite store, or something common enough that non-musicians could find just about anywhere.

• Members

Yeah I'm off to SE Asia in a few weeks... Which makes this even harder. I've bought all the toys and gadgets I need - waterproof camcorder, tripod, netbook, ext hdd etc - already and don't want any more stuff to put into storage.

What I DO need is a Weber Mini Mass attenuator... One has just popped up on eBay and will probably go for around

• Members

I'm about to leave employment after 8 years in the same office; I was asked today for suggestions for a leaving gift and TBH am stumped for ideas. I am the sort of guy who identifies a product I want, saves intensively and purchases it, i.e. I rarely have anything on my 'wish list' for too long.

My thoughts immediately turned to music gear but even in this area I don't tend to have an extensive wish list... so I was hoping for some inspiration from the forum priced around

Archived