So Ronnie Wood played bass in "Emotional Rescue"?

honeyiscool

• Members

Is the decline of the Stones supposed to fall on Woods? Nothing happens in the Stones without the approval of Jagger and Richards and maybe if they did not screw Mick Taylor out of his co-writer credits he would of hung around! The Stones are my #2 band behind The Beatles and I would agree that the Woods era is my least favorite period, but they also still did a hell of a lot of good music during the 70's, 80's and 90's. As far as Woods credentials the guy is also in the R&R HOF with the Faces and could stand on that work alone as the guy is an excellent guitarist, bass and slide, lap and pedal steel player. Co-wrote - Stay With Me, Every Picture Tells a Story, Gasoline Alley, and as far as the Stones go he has a writing credit on One Hit to the Body which by the way Keith and Mick worm probably means he came in with the music and 95% of the lyrics. As far back as 73 it is pretty much well know that It's Only R&R was written by Mick and Woods though it says Jagger- Richards and inspired by Ron Woods? What the f#ck does that mean lmfao. Though it is basicaly a fact that everyone knew Marianne Faithful wrote the lyrics to Sister Morphine she is not credited, though Keith admits in his book life that when he saw the lyrics he could tell Marianne wrote them. Who knows how bad Mick Taylor got screwed as he is not shy on the subject! All in all Woods has had a great and very long career.

• Members

No, the decline of the Stones doesn't fall on Woods, but nothing they did with him equaled what they did with either Jones or Taylor. There's a correlation there, which doesn't infer causality, but it is suggestive. As I've said, there's nothing I've heard Woods play that made me go 'wow' like Taylor's brilliance, or Jone's multi-instrumentalist contributions.

I was working in a warehouse when Emotional Rescue was released, and it was on the radio all the time. I loathed it the first time I heard it, and ever afterwards.

• Members

"Emotional Rescue", the album, remains a fave of mine. I bought it the day it was released in June 1980. I love the clean Fender/Mesa Boogie guitar tones and the production. The Stones have always been intelligent in trying new things.

Total agreement.

• Members

If Ron is so good, why did the Stones become almost completely irrelevant (to me, anyways) after Mick Taylor left? Wood's lead playing is, to me, workman-like, at best.

As someone who regularly bashes Ron Wood's Stones' work, I will say I was impressed with his playing on the latest live DVD, 'Some Girls'. The show was filmed and recorded pretty well though I prefer the Mick Taylor flavored 'Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones'. Taylor's Blues playing and the band's material suit me better although they do versions of Tumblin' Dice and Love in Vain on both shows. It's Love in Vain where Taylor 'cuts' Ron Wood's head. No comparison. Jagger is pretty weird on 'Some Girls' where he appears to be enjoying himself on 'Ladies and Gentlemen'. I agree with others, Ron Woods' best work was with Jeff Beck, Rod Stewart and The Faces.

• Members
"Emotional Rescue", the album, remains a fave of mine. I bought it the day it was released in June 1980. I love the clean Fender/Mesa Boogie guitar tones and the production. The Stones have always been intelligent in trying new things.

SEND HER TO ME is one one my favorite Stones songs. There is also a ballad on the album that Keef sings that is really nice. Can't think of the name of it. For me BLACK AND BLUE is a favorite album.

• Members

Is the decline of the Stones supposed to fall on Woods? Nothing happens in the Stones without the approval of Jagger and Richards and maybe if they did not screw Mick Taylor out of his co-writer credits he would of hung around! The Stones are my #2 band behind The Beatles and I would agree that the Woods era is my least favorite period, but they also still did a hell of a lot of good music during the 70's, 80's and 90's. As far as Woods credentials the guy is also in the R&R HOF with the Faces and could stand on that work alone as the guy is an excellent guitarist, bass and slide, lap and pedal steel player. Co-wrote - Stay With Me, Every Picture Tells a Story, Gasoline Alley, and as far as the Stones go he has a writing credit on One Hit to the Body which by the way Keith and Mick worm probably means he came in with the music and 95% of the lyrics. As far back as 73 it is pretty much well know that It's Only R&R was written by Mick and Woods though it says Jagger- Richards and inspired by Ron Woods? What the f#ck does that mean lmfao. Though it is basicaly a fact that everyone knew Marianne Faithful wrote the lyrics to Sister Morphine she is not credited, though Keith admits in his book life that when he saw the lyrics he could tell Marianne wrote them. Who knows how bad Mick Taylor got screwed as he is not shy on the subject! All in all Woods has had a great and very long career.

There's only one Ron Wood.

• Members

For me BLACK AND BLUE is a favorite album.

It's probably my favorite Stone's album. There is some very Mick Taylor-esque playing on there, such as the lead work on Hand Of Fate.

I know this is a little off topic, but I've always thought that Jagger was in his vocal prime from 1975 to 1981 regardless of the song quality. I remember being bummed out when I first saw the Let's Spend the Night Together concert. I haven't liked his vocals as much from that point onward. csb.

• Members
It's probably my favorite Stone's album. There is some very Mick Taylor-esque playing on there, such as the lead work on Hand Of Fate.

I know this is a little off topic, but I've always thought that Jagger was in his vocal prime from 1975 to 1981 regardless of the song quality. I remember being bummed out when I first saw the Let's Spend the Night Together concert. I haven't liked his vocals as much from that point onward. csb.

I used to listen to Melody and Hey Negrita over and over and over!

• Members

No, the decline of the Stones doesn't fall on Woods, but nothing they did with him equaled what they did with either Jones or Taylor. There's a correlation there, which doesn't infer causality, but it is suggestive.
As I've said, there's nothing I've heard Woods play that made me go 'wow' like Taylor's brilliance
, or Jone's multi-instrumentalist contributions.

I was working in a warehouse when Emotional Rescue was released, and it was on the radio all the time. I loathed it the first time I heard it, and ever afterwards.

With Taylor they had lead and rhythm guitarists because he is a straight-up blues lead virtuoso guy.

With Woody they went back to weaving two guitars.

Different styles, formats and sounds......and different jobs

• Members

With Taylor they had lead and rhythm guitarists because he is a straight-up blues lead virtuoso guy.

With Woody they went back to weaving two guitars.

Different styles, formats and sounds......and different jobs

I dunno. Listening to 'Get Yer Ya-Yas Out,' Keef plays a lot of lead and there's a good bit of weaving.

As for Black and Blue, the only track on that I really dug was Hand of Fate. The rest is all over the place, trying to be contemporary with disco and reggae, although I could tolerate Memory Motel occasionally.

• Members

Ronnie also played bass on Maggie May, I believe

Yes, and it's a great example of how not to play bass. I never noticed it until I was asked to cover it for an audition, and thought it was complete crap. Or would be even if it was played sober. I told the band this, and they said that a couple other bass players they auditioned said the same thing.

• Members

Yes, and it's a great example of how not to play bass. I never noticed it until I was asked to cover it for an audition, and thought it was complete crap.

A classic bass line that is memorable and enhances the song. But you can't play it so you say it is crap.

:facepalm::lol:

• Members
Yes, and it's a great example of how not to play bass. I never noticed it until I was asked to cover it for an audition, and thought it was complete crap. Or would be even if it was played sober. I told the band this, and they said that a couple other bass players they auditioned said the same thing.

perhaps it would have been a big hit had you been able to add your bass parts to it instead. I love the bass stuff in the song (even the "one" note)

Archived