The Gibson Bass going the way of the Do Do Bird?

kulardenu

• Members

I think the main thing is Gibson basses have never come close to the brilliant tone of a Ric or an american Fender or any number of other popular bass manufacturers. It is a shame because Gibson have created some excellent bass designs but they don't ever seem to put much thought in how they sound. A few people have used them and managed to get great tone from them such as the above stated players but if you took any of them and put them on a Ric their tone would improve 10 fold.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gorebreath

View Post

I think the main thing is Gibson basses have never come close to the brilliant tone of a Ric or an american Fender or any number of other popular bass manufacturers. It is a shame because Gibson have created some excellent bass designs but they don't ever seem to put much thought in how they sound. A few people have used them and managed to get great tone from them such as the above stated players but if you took any of them and put them on a Ric their tone would improve 10 fold.

Not true either.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gorebreath

View Post

That's true, but it's more true that until relatively recently Gibson basses, with the exception of the Thunderbird, were nearly all 30" scale. A lot of people's ideas of what a Gibson sounded like were formed by the EB series; short scale, massively hot muddy pickup in the neck position, skinny neck - a "guitar player's bass."

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum View Post
If he'd have included ES3XX he'd be close
If you include Epiphones, I guess they've probably sold more SGs than (semi)hollow models, but LPs would outnumber either by 10:1.

If you exlude Epis then maybe ES models would outnumber SGs, but would still be a fraction of the LP number.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
That's true, but it's more true that until relatively recently Gibson basses, with the exception of the Thunderbird, were nearly all 30" scale. A lot of people's ideas of what a Gibson sounded like were formed by the EB series; short scale, massively hot muddy pickup in the neck position, skinny neck - a "guitar player's bass."
So are you saying that Gibson basses have improved but ppl seem to associate the old Gibson bass sound with the current stuff? There for not giving them a chance? I could see this happening.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesnapper View Post
They don't sound so good... Jack Bruce doesn't use one now! Fender won this one...

But nevertheless, I think this thread would definitely be improved by the inclusion of this video:

GOD DAMN! I love FREE.

• Members

I see them regularly. It really depends on the style of music. I see way more Gibsons (and humbucker basses in general) in the music styles that use heavily distorted bass sounds.

I'd love an SG bass, due to my love of SG's but I've never had much luck getting the bass tone I like from them, so that's why I play a 50's style P (still cool in my eyes though).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by PrawnHeed View Post
If you include Epiphones, I guess they've probably sold more SGs than (semi)hollow models, but LPs would outnumber either by 10:1.

If you exlude Epis then maybe ES models would outnumber SGs, but would still be a fraction of the LP number.
For a long time the '335 and its cousins were Gibson's best selling electrics. Its telling that the design has been in continuois production since 1958.

Archived