Cherry Sunburst Les Paul Custom

fuzztone

• Members

To the OP, I have a 1970 LPC in cherry sunburst. It's the pancake and IMO is the best sounding, best playing LP I have ever played and I'm not just saying that because I own it. I've played many and constantly try them out when I go to the stores. I love the neck on these early LPC's, much thinner, less chunk which works best for me. I had it refretted last year with Dunlop jumbo's. My tech also planned the fret board and replaced the bridge which has a tendency to bow over time. Plays like a dream now!!!
Mine had all gold hardware. I just replaced the tuners last week and had to buy Kluson wafflebacks for a direct replacement fit. Looking at your photo of the control cavity , the foil doesn't not look original. Neither do the tuners. I paid $450 used for mine back in 1974. I was pricing new and used LP's back then and I remember even used the LP's were up around $500 - $800+. I doubt yours sold for $450 new? Maybe used yes.
Good luck with it!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by AXEL276 View Post
To the OP, I have a 1970 LPC in cherry sunburst. It's the pancake and IMO is the best sounding, best playing LP I have ever played and I'm not just saying that because I own it. I've played many and constantly try them out when I go to the stores. I love the neck on these early LPC's, much thinner, less chunk which works best for me. I had it refretted last year with Dunlop jumbo's. My tech also planned the fret board and replaced the bridge which has a tendency to bow over time. Plays like a dream now!!!
Mine had all gold hardware. I just replaced the tuners last week and had to buy Kluson wafflebacks for a direct replacement fit. Looking at your photo of the control cavity , the foil doesn't not look original. Neither do the tuners. I paid $450 used for mine back in 1974. I was pricing new and used LP's back then and I remember even used the LP's were up around $500 - $800+. I doubt yours sold for $450 new? Maybe used yes.
Good luck with it!
Thanks AXEL! I'd love to see a photo of you guitar if you could post one. You right the foil in the control plate was added but I think the tuners are original.Here is another 1981 Les Paul Custom with all the same tuners:

IMG_8330.jpg

IMG_8390.jpg

IMG_8360.jpg

IMG_7031.jpg

IMG_7021.jpg

• Members
Thanks AXEL! I'd love to see a photo of you guitar if you could post one. You right the foil in the control plate was added but I think the tuners are original.Here is another 1981 Les Paul Custom with all the same tuners:QUOTE]

Here's all I have at the moment, the one in the middle obviously. It's an old pic, I have aquired several more guitars since this photo including PRS Custom 22 and a couple of Ibanez Prestige's. The LPC looks much better up close. The best thing I did was have it refretted with jumbo's. The original frets were very small to begin with, and worn. For a while it was unplayable. I own 2 guitars, strats that are scalloped. I love the big frets!
PS, I've owned this LPC since 1974. Somewhere along the line I took off the pickup covers and of course lost them since, dumb. I also switched the knobs from the original top hats to speed knobs.

guitar10.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bluesnapper View Post
...and it's a nice-looking one! HNGD etc!

My only problem with cherry sunburst guitars is they clash when you're wearing blue jeans. Other than that, they can look sweet.
Whaaaaaat!/!eek.gif U must be one of 'them'
Go ahead and keep wearing your dresses: the ones that match the geetar.cop.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by catalinagoose View Post
Nice Custom! Not to sure about the $450 price on that sales slip. In the eighties, a new Standard was over $800.00. Maybe a used Custom went that cheap in '87.
Yeah,I think was used because they didn't put the serial number on the receipt like they did for the Crate amp.

DSCF3857_zpsc39eb3d6.jpg

Archived