Sub. Ebmm. Yea or nah? For. The ax3

MorganB

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Yeah, stays in tune even with the stock strings and dives smooth !Best import pickups too to date no swap needed goes from EVH sound to a nice jangle....I like the way it feels like a floating trem but you can rest your hand on it and it does not move the note at all ..checked when on a tuning machine.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MorganB View Post
Got one...Best Import Axis I have played!

red.jpg
Could be my favourite guitar. And it's the cheapest too. I could never buy an Axis, when I've never used that shape before. This was like a trial (could always sell it) but NO WAY am I selling it. The neck is AMAZING.

It's just a really well put together guitar for silly money. I sort of want to buy a second one and hide it in the attic still in it's box in case of emergency or something.

I'm putting a Norton and Air Classic in it.. but the stock pickups are fine. Overall.. it's just ridiculous what you can get for the money these days. The trem is fine.. I am glad it's vintage. I have some problems with it but guess what? The high end Axis supersports have the same problems. It's the design.. that I don't prefer as much as the strat that I have. Still a fine trem in it's own right..

The biggest problem I have is the body shape.. but that's just the nature of these guitars. The neck is worth putting up with the body shape.. the neck is amazing. Thick, chunky, easy to play.. satin finish.. and a very thick sounding guitar overall. Like a thick sounding strat but with dual humbuckers. 5 way switch for inbetween tones..

You know those high end Pacifica's that you guys can't buy in the USA? You see the Pacifica 611 in the Yamaha THR videos with Soren Anderson. I've only had that guitar 2-3 weeks and it's been ignored because I like this guitar more.

• Members

Just to follow up.. I was going to get an Ibanez S.. especially for the ZR trem.. but thought I'd try this Sterling first.. for the more strattish neck and the vintage trem (sick of locking nuts).

I've never rated Sterling before.. I would never believe the guitar could be so good. I read good reports about these new ones online.. so I thought it was worth a try and could always send it back. It'll be even better with Dimarzio's, push pull pot and new Graphtech tusq nut. It keeps tuning fine as it is. The only two minor complaints I have.. is when the trem is set to flush (for easier downtuning).. it bangs a bit against the body.. unlike my strat which has smoother action (hi end Axis Supersport do this as well) and I find the body shape uncomfortable compared to Strat/Ibanez/Yamaha bodyshape.

• Members

But then other probelms occur.. the bridge starts floating.. or to the very least.. the bridge raises when bending (similar to with a floyd).. especially double stops. According to the music man forums.. this is the same thing as on Axis Supersports (which this AX3 copies). It's a balancing act but hard to find an optimum solution.

Somehow my CP 60's strat doesn't have any of these issues. It's flush with the body.. yet it has smooth play and no banging on body.. yet no raised pitch during bends.

Archived