Incredible Homemade Les Pauls

GuitarNoobie

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan1143 View Post
Let me know if you want a mahogany body blank, Ive got a few in my shop and i will beat the hell out of stewmacs prices, they are one piece bodies as well.
hell yea, one piece blanks for a better price, who wouldn't want that...?

Got any pictures ????

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DaveAronow View Post
I thought this was going to be a thread about wax people confused.gif
icon_lol.gif

btw, if anyone is interested in what they call the Catto plan over at MLP, here it is....

it's a to scale drawing of the 58-60 Les Paul body, body routes, inlays, headstock, neck mortise and bridge and stop tail holes. Can use it for measurement or templates.

I got this first, but opted for the more detailed plans, especially for help on the neck...

• Members

meant to post these measurements as well, they supposedly go with the drawing...

All measured with the usual digital caliper.

Body binding: height 5.96mm thickness ranged from 1.58mm to 1.91mm (for instance in the cutaway).

Neck binding: height 3.91mm thickness .84mm

Exposed body depth (from bottom of binding to back 42.9mm (1.688")

Headstock thickness top: 15.37mm bottom: (nearest nut) 15.58mm

Neck width: At nut 42.91mm At body Joint 54.82mm at fingerboard end 56.92mm

Gap between heel and guitar back 13.24mm (.52")
Depth of heel from bottom of binding (body top edge) to base 37.56mm (1.478")

One more for all those you wonder about toggle switch placement.
Level with 21st fret and 40.32mm from the edge.

ALSO

50's Humbucker Cavity depths

Bridge PU cavity legs: 1.384" deep
Bridge PU cavity depth: Angled from 1.015-.971(bridge side deepest)

Neck PU cavity legs: 1.463" deep
Neck PU cavity depth: 1.097"

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GuitarNoobie View Post

here is what i have ordered thus far:

http://www.bartlettwoodworking.com/AAAAA.html

http://www.bartlettwoodworking.com/body/Templates.html

Headstock veneer made out of holly...

And some of the best build plans available...
http://www.bartlettwoodworking.com/body/plans.html

are those templates really worth $140?
i mean couldn't you just make your own with the full size plans?

(great thread)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan1143 View Post
uhhh, i made this guitar out of one :
whats the price? one piece khaya like your body goes for about $45-$50 cdn up here thickness sanded.

the stew mac stuff is honduran (or it was anyway), which sells for about $75-$80 now in 1 piece form. still kicks the crap out of stew macs prices of course.

should be plenty of us suppliers with prices similar methinks. id love to see anything cheaper if you got smile.gif

anyhow, that pre carved top is great looking. i never knew anyone offered that at all. price is higher than id have expected, but if it gets you what you want, thats a great resource. not enough of that stuff around.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
anyhow, that pre carved top is great looking. i never knew anyone offered that at all. price is higher than id have expected, but if it gets you what you want, thats a great resource. not enough of that stuff around.
the carved tops have not been available to terribly long. came out earlier this year.

two guys from MLP forum teamed up and started a business... A Canadian and a Swede I believe. Two very cool, friendly and helpful guys. And yea they are a little pricey, but i gotta start somewhere. baby steps before i sprint, lol !!!

those guys will also carve your maple for a little over $200. of course you have to ship it to Canada...

• Members
the carved tops have not been available to terribly long. came out earlier this year.

two guys from MLP forum teamed up and started a business... A Canadian and a Swede I believe. Two very cool, friendly and helpful guys. And yea they are a little pricey, but i gotta start somewhere. baby steps before i sprint, lol !!!

those guys will also carve your maple for a little over $200. of course you have to ship it to Canada...

Customs in Canada=ohs noeseek.gifmad.gif

• Members

cool. hand carving maple is.. not my favourite sport. mahogany is nice. the poplar one i did with a chisel wasnt bad either.

$200 for the carving, and i guess $100ish for the wood. if i was cnc milling them to the smooth finish state i see on the site, i guess i would have to charge about the same too.

good luck.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by dimmypage View Post
Customs in Canada=ohs noeseek.gifmad.gif
icon_lol.gif

Quote Originally Posted by diceman1000 View Post
westbury067.jpg

i don't know if it qualifies for incredible...but i like it...
very nice thumb.giflove.gif

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
cool. hand carving maple is.. not my favourite sport. mahogany is nice. the poplar one i did with a chisel wasnt bad either.

$200 for the carving, and i guess $100ish for the wood. if i was cnc milling them to the smooth finish state i see on the site, i guess i would have to charge about the same too.

good luck.
thanks brother, should be an adventure... wave.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSaulnier View Post
I know from your other build threads... you'll probably make something eye popping and jaw dropping...

Remembering your "water drop" V... I know an LP with that kind of finish was be especially cool, but maybe you don't want to duplicate yourself.

Good luck with whatever you do!

M
thanks man, i appreciate the nice comments....

this is gonna be an actual build and much more challenging than the water drop V refinish...

i just really enjoy playing guitars and working on them tongue.gif

Archived