How old we're you when

realtree71

• Members

Even lately some groups have a sense of humor about it. Rush on their current tour has Alex playing thru what looks like two giant old hi-fi radios and Geddy plays thru what looks like a Steampunk popcorn machine.

I saw Neil Young about a month ago and they had these four huge pseudo-amps, each maybe eight feet tall and six feet wide, set up on stage. What was really funny is that at some point they showed him from a rear camera angle on the video screens adjusting his tweed deluxe by reaching over the top of the huge cab.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

About 15 years ago. Right about the first time I heard a full Marshall stack turned up to about half volume. I quickly realized that unless I was outdoors in front of 50,000 people, I would never, ever need that much volume. Fortunately, bleeding through your ears is not considered a sign of virility in Western cultures. I went to a Replacements show in the 90's. The chords to Alex Chilton still echo in my head from time to time.

• Members

I'm old enough to remember the Beach Boys playing backyard crash parties in the Hollywood Hills, Jefferson Airplane free and unannounced at Griffith park on a Saturday afternoon, and The Mamas and Papas playing to a walk in crown of 50 people at Pandoras Box, no cover charge. Most everything back then was 2X12 combo amps and Sure PA's with a 4X10 column speaker on each side of the stage. So, I have no idea what you people are talking about. Come to think of it, what year is this anyway?

P.S. A couple of years ago I went to see the Beach Boys at a baseball stadium. They had a wall of amps behind them and with binoculars I could make out that they were actually mostly the Beach Boys. After 45 years of playing in bands I also could make out with my ears that none of those amps were operational and that I was listening to a very good high tech stereo system of pre-recorded BS. Lord if I could only go back in time and once again hear them for real.

• Members

On the opposite end though...I recently saw a Bon Jovi cover band (I hate BJ but it's a long story)....they did not have ANY amplifiers, everything direct and they did not hide the fact. I felt cheated and it just was hard to believe. BUT they actually sounded very good. SO I guess I can't complain because they were honest.

• Members

14 at an Avenged Sevenfold show. They had 20 foot walls of Marshall cabs stacked up but when they were setting up you could see they were not the real deal. I was recently thinking about this the other day. My other guitarist and I just use effect processors plugged straight into our PA and forgot about amps completely but if we play a show we are going to look really strange..

Archived