NOT A Strat Lover

Steadfastly

• Members

The other condiment I find is a either-love-or-hate thing are olives.

I think this is true. For instance, my niece loves them, and I just don't like them at all.

On to Strats - I like them, as evidenced by my buying habits. I've come across many Strats that I really like, but I totally see why some people don't like them. Their sound is unique enough that it can turn off some people.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never got into strats myself. For some reason I just prefer the feel of a lp style guitar in my hand.I prefer both the shorter scale neck and the look and feel of an lp over a strat. I do own one superstrat guitar and while it plays well and sounds good, it just doesn't feel right in my hands.

There are lots of players who can make a steer sing and I admire there playing. But a strat just isn't me.

Man, strats are just the ergonomic balls!!! I love sliding my hands around the smooth, curved contours of a strat just before I go to position 2 and cry a sweet blues ballad to my wife who can only simmer in jealousy as I caress my strat and lose myself in her textures... while she watches through tear stained eyes....

• Members

I couldn't get on with strats at all until I picked up a Mex Classic player 50s Strat, and since then it's pretty much been my go to guitar for playing at home, though my Rickenbacker 360 will, at least for the foreseeable future, be on the top spot for band work.

• Moderators

Man, strats are just the ergonomic balls!!! I love sliding my hands around the smooth, curved contours of a strat just before I go to position 2 and cry a sweet blues ballad to my wife who can only simmer in jealousy as I caress my strat and lose myself in her textures... while she watches through tear stained eyes....

This post scares even me:)

• Members
Don't give me that BS. You really would bet your life on being able to distinguish between a Strat and one of these?

Fender+Cyclone+II+guitarz.jpg

That's more Strat than not. The only difference is the body shape, really.

Guess it depends on what you consider more deserving of the name "Strat", the body shape or the components. Is it more a Strat if it's a Strat body with Mustang electronics and hardware, or is it more a Strat if it's a Mustang body with Strat electronics and hardware?

• Members

The Stratocaster requires its own playing technique. I guess its a combination of the long scale, the trem, and the single coil pickups. Chords on the first 4 frets never sound as good as on a 24.75 scale guitar IMO. However, above the 5th fret and in the proper hands, it's an awesome instrument.

I have a 1989 E Series MIJ Strat that I'll never give up. My #1 go to guitar.

• Members

I like how flexible the strat is. Tired of a certain sound? Pop in a new loaded pickguard. Don't like certain aspects of the strat (eg knob placement)? You can customize it to suit your needs (eg order custom pickguard).

Comfort is an added bonus.

• Members

I love the concept of the Strat. However, it is safe to say that guitar technology has evolved since the 1960's and 70's. I really enjoy the newer evolution of the strat with all the updates, i.e. better access to upper frets, more stable trem systems, lighter bodies and HSH pickup configuration. Strats are fun and nostalgic, but I find fussing with them (trems, weak pickups, not the best ergos) becomes a distraction to playing.

• Members

I'm more of a Tele or Les Paul guy. I've had cheap Teles and LPs that've made me want to get nicer versions, which I've done. With Strats, I almost always have one cheap Strat, in case I occasionally need those particular sounds, but don't feel the need to go further.

I did go through a period of a couple years where a Strat was my main axe, but that was about 20 years ago.

bkleathers.jpg

• Members

One thing I am noticing with some that are pretty vocal about not liking strats. Their playing doesn't lend

itself to the subtleties of what makes strats an guitar that lots of pros like. Those people could indeed

play any guitar and it wouldnt matter but its not due to any shortcomings of the guitar but the player.

You must have seen or heard my playing. I have nothing against the single coil or wiring configuration but it's the look of them that turn me off.

• Members

One thing I am noticing with some that are pretty vocal about not liking strats. Their playing doesn't lend

itself to the subtleties of what makes strats an guitar that lots of pros like.

Sort of a dick thing to say, isn't it? It's one thing to talk {censored} about a guitar. It's another thing to talk {censored} about a group of people whose only common point is not liking a guitar.

• Members

My tech hates Strats, believes Gibsons are a more sofisticated machine, he's probably right but I still find myself making a b-line for the Fenders when I'm at GC. More sexy, did I say that already?
That bitch Leo Hit it dead on, he created an instant classic, the golden rule of Guitarology. I like playing a tele better, but it doesn't have the "it factor" like the Strat. Sometimes even if I'm not playing I like just holding it, I have a 72' stripped down to sealer coat ( don't ask, it involved to much weed in the 70's and what seemed like a good idea). Did I mention sexy? No other guitar has been copied as much by a long shot.

Archived