Do you want an Agile model with Stainless Steel frets?

TaZMaNiO

• Members

Originally posted by Ancient Mariner

As frets wear the feel and tone of an instrument changes (you may even need to raise the action to compensate).

Yup, I had to do just that a week or two ago. I don't know about the tone changing, though...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Stainless steel frets don't cost all that more (maybe $20-40 at the most) and they certainly won't have the continuing costs of relevel/redressings and refrets. Even with some additional cost in labor its worth it. Of course you can choose to ignore the freatwear but the frets don't play as good, keep getting worse, and develop buzzing, grooves that strings catch on, etc.

If you own hundreds or thousands of guitars the fretwear won't happen as fast if you not just playing a few of those. Of course if you own that many guitars, you can easily afford tons of refets and re-level/dress frets or just start playing some of your other guitars more or buy more.

Anyway, stainless steel frets rock, play great, cost only a little more, and last a long long time. cool.gif

• Members

yes, stainless frets please, but PLEASE PUT THE STAINLESS FRETS ON SOMETHING OTHER THAN A LESS PAUL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND ON A 25.5 SCALE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

and also, how about building an Agile shredder axe ala the sx ones you've got. make it like an st1000 but with a floyd and some better color options, especially green. and no bling colors, just a solid color, i would rather pay for better components than 'purty' looks. all that fancy inlay stuff is just bull{censored}, i'd rather have no inlays at all. don't care about bindings either.

plus, one thing that should be on every guitar: satin finish on the neck!!!

• Members

I have two Agile AL's...a 3000 and a 2800-Bigsby, and they're both excellent but along with ss frets, I think, equally important, is changing the necks from 1 5/8" to 1 11/16" like on all gibbys...

I have other guitars that have 1 11/16" necks and I definitely notice the difference even though it only 1/16 of an inch..it makes it slightly easier to avoid deadening string notes out tougher chords like a Bbdim7 for example...esp for all of us with slightly bigger fingers.

My dream Agile repro whould be one of the Gibson Custom Shop Johnny A hollow body bigsby's with pickups very closely speced out to the Gibson '57 classics.

ja029a.jpg

I'm tempted on the cool cat prestige but I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat!

See HERE!!!!!

• Members

Hey if Kurt is chiming in on the idea, I'll say I'm all for stainless as well.

Oddly enough I wonder about the frets on this SX strat style I got - sems like the frets are a bit harder than the agiles?

Anyway, I's critical that if you implement stainless frets that #1 a lot of detail goes into the dressing.

The Lp styles I've gotten have been adequate but not pristine in that regard.

Could you pretty please do a run with a plain maple top, on a light mahogany body (chambered/relived if it must be). Clear grain, nothing fancy.

A Nice reddish honey burst.

Klusen style tuners

A slip-stone (another area where I find I've been less than enthused)

Strap lock buttons

Aluminum tailpiece (nickel hardware)

Rosewood board with warm but not green of overly flashy inlays.

Push/push on the tone controls wired for series parallel on the rhythm, and phase on the bridge.

Any nice pups will do, Duncan's or stock.

And a bit more horn, just a bit - I think it's safe!

Relief cut on the back

Single ply binding

Small posts on the bridge

Case included!

Have them take 1/16 off the end of the fret-board by the nut.. umm.. to fight "buzz".

Compound radius going from 10"-16" at the end

Medium wide frets but tall.

3 piece maple neck (the long way), carbon rod reinforced with a dual action rod and a long tenon.

Recessed jack-plate moved towards the strap button.

Lacquer finnish on the top, poly for the rest

No switchplate or pickguard

Barrel knobs w/pointers in gold, not amber

-maybe insert knobs in black

Eh, I can dream!

$875 out the door, $925 w/deluxe case, strap and a rondo hat! :D

And "MC Special" in script inlaid at the 12th fret.

• Members
Originally posted by Mighty Coogna!

Hey if Kurt is chiming in on the idea, I'll say I'm all for stainless as well.

Oddly enough I wonder about the frets on this SX strat style I got - sems like the frets are a bit harder than the agiles?

Anyway, I's critical that if you implement stainless frets that #1 a lot of detail goes into the dressing.

The Lp styles I've gotten have been adequate but not pristine in that regard.

Could you pretty please do a run with a plain maple top, on a light mahogany body (chambered/relived if it must be). Clear grain, nothing fancy.

A Nice reddish honey burst.

Klusen style tuners

A slip-stone (another area where I find I've been less than enthused)

Strap lock buttons

Aluminum tailpiece (nickel hardware)

Rosewood board with warm but not green of overly flashy inlays.

Push/push on the tone controls wired for series parallel on the rhythm, and phase on the bridge.

Any nice pups will do, Duncan's or stock.

And a bit more horn, just a bit - I think it's safe!

Relief cut on the back

Single ply binding

Small posts on the bridge

Case included!

Have them take 1/16 off the end of the fret-board by the nut.. umm.. to fight "buzz".

Compound radius going from 10"-16" at the end

Medium wide frets but tall.

3 piece maple neck (the long way), carbon rod reinforced with a dual action rod and a long tenon.

Recessed jack-plate moved towards the strap button.

Lacquer finnish on the top, poly for the rest

No switchplate or pickguard

Barrel knobs w/pointers in gold, not amber

-maybe insert knobs in black

Eh, I can dream!

$875 out the door, $925 w/deluxe case, strap and a rondo hat!
:D

And "MC Special" in script inlaid at the 12th fret.

Kind of self-defeating putting up prices like that for a LP copy, isn't it?

I could be a *mint* condition LP for that much & get SS frets put in myself & retain the resale value if not watch it increase ;)

I think it's a better idea to let Kurt know what we like & let him sweat the price. Personally I wouldn't spend more than $500 for ANY copy, unless it was MIA Custom ordered with killer wood & electronics.

Just my 2 cents...

• 3 months later...
  • Members
Originally posted by Mistersuperfly

1. Chambered mahogany back EDIT: And I don't like the red finish on the back, I want to see something like the natural mahogany color like on a Goldtop.

2. Two piece solid
PLAIN MAPLE TOP
with vintage burst, Gold top, and Honey burst. Maybe even some other crazier colors.

3. Mahogany neck.

4. Ebony board

5. Stainless frets

6. All the 3000 hardware, but with factory installed Graphtech saddles.

Charge 399 and I'm there. And bring back the CNB case that looks like the brown leather LP cases.

ANOTHER EDIT: Oh, and if you really really want to do it right... Finish it in Nitro
:D

Yeah I'd like one of those too. Also upgraded pots, tone cap, and wiring; push pull pots for coil split and phase, with a pair of sd alnico 2 pros or 59 neck and jb bridge. :eek:

• 2 years later...
  • Members
*POOF* and it's gone!
:wave:

Looks like another company got TGP to remove a thread and cover their asses...

:cop:

Did you really feel the need to bump TWO threads from three years ago about the same topic?

Why not just e-mail Kurt?

• Members
Did you really feel the need to bump TWO threads from three years ago about the same topic?

Why not just e-mail Kurt?

Actually I did feel the need, thanks for asking :thu:

Oh, and several emails went unanswered about the status of offering SS frets :rolleyes:

• 4 years later...
  • Members

SS frets are a cool idea in general. For a korean/chinease made guitar line i'm kind of at odds with the idea.
Offering boutique options for a demographic who are likely not a advanced/serious player type seems like sort of a waste.
It would be interesting if they manage to pull this off with minimum inconsistancys and price increase. It might be worth it. Maybe they'll set a new standard for other Import line guitar manufactures.

• Members

SS frets are a cool idea in general. For a korean/chinease made guitar line i'm kind of at odds with the idea.

Offering boutique options for a demographic who are likely not a advanced/serious player type seems like sort of a waste.

It would be interesting if they manage to pull this off with minimum inconsistancys and price increase. It might be worth it. Maybe they'll set a new standard for other Import line guitar manufactures.

There are many advanced players who play Agiles.

Archived