Lifted wrap-around bridge concerns!!

KevinTJH

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Into Nation View Post
I'd like to see the nut on this guitar.
I don't have the guitar with me at the moment, but I did manage to find a photo I took a while ago of the headstock.
Not sure if you'll be able to see the nut properly, but here it goes:
28786_10151157369453925_878447737_n.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by KevinTJH View Post
Not sure...I actually started this thread with the idea of getting a "Yes/No" answer, because I flew overseas the day after I started the thread so I won't be seeing my Les Paul for the next 2 weeks or so.

The only thing I can do now is to take note of all the advice given here.

Aren't LP Juniors notorious for intonation problems? I was prepared to accept that mine would be no exception. In fact my first choice was actually the Billy Joe Signature version with a completely non adjustable bridge (in which I would've imagined to be much worse).

As far as I can remember, the notes on the first fret are pretty close to being spot on except for the G-string which is a tiny bit sharp. Overall it's decent enough that I wouldn't notice without playing through a tuner.
The old one are yes as they have a straight non-compensated bridge , it was a tradeoff , you can still get them close enough for rock n roll . There are bridges that fix that like what I used on my LP build , for "offset" post the mojoaxe bridge is a fix for those old ones , yours is already compensated , but it doesn't mean it is correctly compensated . Many have a different "saddle" position for the string , perhaps a different bridge like a Faber or an adjustable one is the way to go . If it were mine I would use some locking posts and depending on how well it intonated I might swap the bridge . I have straight posts on my Heritage and with the Faber "lightning bar" bridge it's right on . I still doubt Gibby screwed up the post location but it can be checked and ruled out which would take you to the next step of swapping bridges if you thought you needed to . I would also suggest you look into how to set up a Gibson , so you can check your techs work . And yeah get some locking posts icon_lol.gif

• Members

Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by fretless View Post
I would also suggest you look into how to set up a Gibson , so you can check your techs work . And yeah get some locking posts icon_lol.gif
Ironically the Billie Joe Signature model is actually angled further away on the bass side:
http://www.google.com.my/imgres?q=bi...w=1280&bih=621

Mine, however, is slightly angled further away on the treble side. I can't explain why at all.

As for the locking posts, were you referring to something like this?
http://www.google.com.my/imgres?q=lo...w=1280&bih=621
I can imagine the number of problems it'll solve, but geee these are expensive as hell!

• Members
Thanks for the tip!

Ironically the Billie Joe Signature model is actually angled further away on the bass side:

Mine, however, is slightly angled further away on the treble side. I can't explain why at all.

I can imagine the number of problems it'll solve, but geee these are expensive as hell!
I don't know what is going on, but I don't think I've ever seen that before...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Into Nation View Post
I don't know what is going on, but I don't think I've ever seen that before...
I'm assuming all standard LP Juniors have the bridges parallel to the neck of the guitar. Mine is just slightly angled (further away) on the treble side as that was the only way to intonate the guitar properly. It's only very slight and not very noticeable but I'm guessing that's uncommon?
I'm not sure if I'm making any sense here.

• Members
I'm assuming all standard LP Juniors have the bridges parallel to the neck of the guitar. Mine is just slightly angled (further away) on the treble side as that was the only way to intonate the guitar properly. It's only very slight and not very noticeable but I'm guessing that's uncommon?
I'm not sure if I'm making any sense here.
Right handed wrap over non compensated bridges are always angled with the bass side lower. Like this:

Gibson+Les+Paul+junior.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by dabbler View Post
NO! DO NOT set your intonation by numbers, set it by the 12th fret tuning. Three string type and mass affect where the saddles need to be to intonate, and if you do it by measuring, I guarantee it will be off!
In my humble opinion the 12th fret intonation is only a place to start for best intonation of a guitar. Intonation on ALL guitars is a tradeoff. The string that is in perfect tune at open note and at the 12th fret may not be in such perfect tune at the 1st, 2nd and 3rd fret.

Myself, I am far more concerned with correct intonation closer to the nut. When I am playing at the 12th fret I am doing lead guitar solo work which is mostly single string notes and has frequent string bends. Perfect intonation is absolutely impossible on every fret for every string up and down the entire neck. I am the most concerned that all strings in my chords sound in good tune with each other.

Again, it's my humble opinion. I'm not calling anybody wrong, just bringing my opinion to the discussion hoping that it may help or expand the subject a bit.

• Members
Thanks for the tip!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tone-Pros-SN...item460a4413ba

just the studs , though that bridge would be an upgrade and probably solve your intonation woes

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Spudro View Post
Again, it's my humble opinion. I'm not calling anybody wrong, just bringing my opinion to the discussion hoping that it may help or expand the subject a bit.
Yea I truly agree with what you're saying.

I actually purchased one of the S.O.S compensated nuts to test its effectiveness, though I haven't got around to using it yet.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Compensat...1#ht_525wt_956

Quote Originally Posted by fretless View Post
though that bridge would be an upgrade and probably solve your intonation woes
That would be nice, but considering I only paid $700 for this guitar (I got a steal), I can't quite justify paying $120 for a bridge upgrade yet.
I guess I'll probably consider that upgrade when I start playing this guitar a little more.

• Members
I've got no idea how the mechanics of a wrap-around work. Does the grip get weaker the further it is moved back?
weaker.. not so much.. but can it be overstressed? yes, it can..

the point of no return is when the front edges of the bridge are pulled back far enough to be even with the middle of the bridge posts. then the ear tabs are in danger of being broken off from the twisting stress.

• Members

I cannot get my Les Pauls to intonate properly with certain types of strings--especially Elixers. D'Adarrio 10--46 give me no problems on my wraptail Les Paul R4. I get excellent intonation up and down the neck, especially considering that the bridge is not compensated. If you want the best, go with Thomastik Infelds.

juststrings_2238_1182702653

You can thank me later for being able to hear every nuance of your cool LP.

Archived