Learning Hendrix songs is such a chore...

bluesnapper

• Members

a few year ago i used to have the same prob but nowadays with the music program cubase i can change Eb up to E without altering the speed and i can also reverse the audio to see what he was actualy playing. there must be a few free programs out there what can do this ...... REAPER might be capable

HIGHLY recommended for learning music. It is awesome and free:

http://bestpractice.sourceforge.net/

• Members
Unless he hits a low Eb, you don't really have to tune down...

thats not the point , if hendrix was tuned to Eb and you want to copy the way he plays for e.g. crosstown traffic ,hendrix played it on the detuned guitar in Db which is actualy the key of C in concert pitch , it is best you tune down if you want to play along with the recording because he used open strings even in the key of Db .other songs he did in this key was Freedom , Spanish Castle Magic and All Along the Watchtower all incorporating open strings ,Red House was in B cause you can hear him play an open low E at times when he changes up to the 4 chord which is E .Van Halen also tuned down which also was a problem when trying to learn one of their tunes or just copy a lick, i think it`s best if you have a couple of guitars is to have one tuned down to Eb all the time if you are into copying bands like this . nowadays bands are tuning down to basically anything that sounds ok.

• Members

Well the Beatles made me want to play guitar and Hendrix made me want to play lead, though the deeper I got into him I found his rhythm playing even more fascinating. You have to learn and think in triads and then figure out where the the major pentatonic embelishments are which once you have a handle on it is not as difficult as it sounds.This way of rhythm playing really goes back to Curtis Mayfield who was one of Jimi's big influences. No transcribes Hendrix like Andy Aledort and two must have instructionals of his to own would be the double DVD set -learn to play songs from-Are You Experienced with Velvet Turner and Jimi Hendrix-Signature Licks- http://www.andyaledort.com/andy-aledort-books-cds-dvds.html

These work great hand in hand as the DVD ({censored} I owned the VHS tape lol) has no tab and plays everything at full speed and then half. But since he also wrote the Signature Licks book with CD I put two and two together and could run Jimi's rhythm and leads -well just like Jimi lol. I got so hung up on his rhythm playing that my bandmates would want to learn a new song and on many occasions I would hear -Not how Hendrix would play it lol.

Archived