MF/M123 online or GC in store, which is worse to deal with?

guitarman3001

• Members

Which one of their storefronts do you think tries to weasel out of honoring their own coupons and policies more often?

Which leads me to my GC experience today. I go into the San Diego GC to pick up one of the Mitchell MD100 acoustics they have for $99. I tell the salesguy what I want, he grabs the box and takes it to the register and as he starts to ring it up I tell him that I would like to apply the HLDY15 code for an extra $15 off.

Much to my surprise, he tells me that he can't apply the code because the guitar is at a discounted price and the code doesn't apply to any items that are already discounted. Well, pretty much every single item in their store is "discounted" so that's a bunch of crap.

Anyway, I politely ask him to check with a manager. Manager comes over and says the same thing -- nope, the item is on sale in the store so you can't use a coupon for it. Well I look it up on their website and it's at $99 there too so it's not just an instore special.

By this time I was getting pissed off so I got on my smartphone, went to their website, put the item in my cart and selected instore pickup at that store, applied the coupon code, and it came back with a price of $84.99. I stood there for a few minutes wondering what to do..... the manager never came back and neither did the first sales guy I talked to but another guy came up and asked me if I needed help.

I explained the situation to him, showed him my phone with the item in my cart and at the checkout page for $84.99 + tax, told him that the other salesguy refused to honor their own coupon and asked him if he wanted to ring up the sale or if he'd rather I just place the order online and have them give me the exact same freakin guitar for the $84.99 price anyway.

He was sensible and said he'd take care of it and I got the guitar for the $84.99 price.

Now I ask you, why in the hell did they make me jump through all those hoops and try to avoid honoring their own coupon? I wonder how many people they'd dicked over like that because not everyone has the patience to do whatever it takes to force them to honor their own coupons and sale prices.

I'd say that about 75% of the time I walk into a GC, it's the same kind of hassle. I really despise going in there. And M123/MF seems to be just as bad with their own things like price match policies, with the exception of when you deal directly with their rep who posts on this site.

But just submitting a pricematch online or even calling in, it seems like their policy is to first find whatever excuse they can to avoid honoring their own sales and coupons and policies.

So, which one do you think is worse when it comes to this, GC in store or MF/M123 online?

• Members

Technically, they are correct (assuming the guitar was actually on sale). Any GC coupons I've seen say that items already on sale are excluded. MF/M123 also no longer let you use coupons for items already on sale. Makes no sense to me since pretty much anywhere else I shop lets you use coupons for items already on sale.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jhorne View Post
Technically, they are correct (assuming the guitar was actually on sale). Any GC coupons I've seen say that items already on sale are excluded. MF/M123 also no longer let you use coupons for items already on sale. Makes no sense to me since pretty much anywhere else I shop lets you use coupons for items already on sale.
I was able to apply the coupon online without a problem. All I'd have had to do was place the order online, wait about 30 seconds for it to go through, show them the pickup receipt, and walk out with my $84.99 guitar. The way they went about it was beyond retarded.

And again, technically, every item that is not sold at MSRP is considered "discounted."

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarman3001 View Post
I was able to apply the coupon online without a problem. All I'd have had to do was place the order online, wait about 30 seconds for it to go through, show them the pickup receipt, and walk out with my $84.99 guitar. The way they went about it was beyond retarded.

And again, technically, every item that is not sold at MSRP is considered "discounted."
I didn't say I agreed with them, and if it really was 'on sale', the coupon should not have worked online. I'm sure you know this wouldn't be the first glitch in one of their online stores...

'Discounted', 'on sale', etc. means below MAP, not MSRP.

• Members

It must be the GC you went to. I went to one of my local GCs Saturday to buy a mixer and powered speakers. The mixer was listed online for $104.95 and was $139.99 in the store. They looked it up at GC.com and matched the price. The problem I had was they couldn't apply the $50 off coupon because of the price match. The sales guy called the manager and he discounted the speakers to match the price it would have been online. Really no hassle at all and they couldn't have been more pleasant. I have had nothing but good dealings with my local GCs. It seems some of the stores aren't so great. I guess I'm lucky that all 4 of the stores in my area are really good.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by harold heckuba

View Post

I have great service at MF, great service at GC, and so-so service from M123.

Interesting. I think the difference in service between MF and M123 is just luck of the draw because when you call either of those places, you speak to the same exact reps. They answer the phone MF or M123 based on which number you called in on. But they are the same reps, they use the same computer system, and can place orders under either company's name.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn

View Post

It must be the GC you went to. I went to one of my local GCs Saturday to buy a mixer and powered speakers. The mixer was listed online for $104.95 and was $139.99 in the store. They looked it up at GC.com and matched the price. The problem I had was they couldn't apply the $50 off coupon because of the price match. The sales guy called the manager and he discounted the speakers to match the price it would have been online. Really no hassle at all and they couldn't have been more pleasant. I have had nothing but good dealings with my local GCs. It seems some of the stores aren't so great. I guess I'm lucky that all 4 of the stores in my area are really good.

Hrmm...I don't know....maybe it's just me then. I frequent GCs on both coasts (FL and CA) and both are hit or miss, mostly miss.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman3001

View Post

Hrmm...I don't know....maybe it's just me then. I frequent GCs on both coasts (FL and CA) and both are hit or miss, mostly miss.

Maybe try sending an email through GC.com next time you have a problem at a local store. The first GC opened here locally in the early-mid 80s now there are four here. I have been shopping there since they opened and only had a problem once. I sent a email through the online form and got a reply back in less than an hour. The manager at the store called me the next day. He not only took care of the problem he also gave me a box of strings. There are some really good guys working at the local stores here.

• Members

Now I ask you, why in the hell did they make me jump through all those hoops and try to avoid honoring their own coupon? I wonder how many people they'd dicked over like that because not everyone has the patience to do whatever it takes to force them to honor their own coupons and sale prices.
What you should really ask YOURSELF...why are they on the verge of bankruptcy and possibly gonna be shuttering the doors before 2014?

Guess you already answered that question in your own rant biggrin.gif

I agree with Harold Heckuba about MF being ok and M123 being the WORST, but I'm personally bitter because I remember a time when it seemed like GC wanted your business(prior to the Bain Capital buyout in '07). Then things changed, the salespeople I used to love seeing all quit and their replacements started acting like they were doing you a favor by letting you shop there.

I think I've heard every excuse in the book for not honoring coupons/price matching policies, etc...a couple of weeks ago, I had a very refreshing(albeit strangely so) experience when I tried to get my local GC to match a blowout price on a Gibson 70's tribute LP...the salesguy said(after I showed him the price on the website via smartphone)..."Wow...that's a great price. Unfortunately, we really can't beat that and if it were me, I'd buy it from them". They didn't do the match, but hearing this was a lot better than getting some BS runaround.

Fortunately, we have other options biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by arrowhen

View Post

Was your time and frustration worth the fifteen bucks?

Where this particular principle was concerned, absolutely. My question is why would they make me go through that frustration in the first place? Had I known that was going to happen, I would have simply placed the order online in the first place and avoided the hassle. But yes, 15 bucks is 15 bucks. To some people 15 bucks may be a measly amount that's not worth fighting for but to me, combine the 15 bucks with the whole principle of the matter and it's definitely something worth fighting for.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman3001

View Post

Where this particular principle was concerned, absolutely. My question is why would they make me go through that frustration in the first place? Had I known that was going to happen, I would have simply placed the order online in the first place and avoided the hassle. But yes, 15 bucks is 15 bucks. To some people 15 bucks may be a measly amount that's not worth fighting for but to me, combine the 15 bucks with the whole principle of the matter and it's definitely something worth fighting for.

I can eat breakfest for two weeks with $15 so I would say it's a lot of money if you could eat 1 meal a day for that period of time. So that's a little over $1.00 a day. It doesn't sound like much, but if you make $7.50 an hour that would be two hours worth of work. Money's value is in the eye of the beholder.

• Members

I won't buy from M123 based on what iveseen posted here. And while I had terrific service from the guys at the Boston area GCs, in Albuquerque they just won't give good prices. I know it's not just me - I get AMAZING service as well as good pricing from the sizable mom and pop in ABQ, and a couple of boutique guys have been more than kind to me.

It seems to me that GC's willingness to discount has a lot to do with how much they see you spend there. Which, since their prices suck, now isn't very much for me. Chicken egg.

And that's really okay with me, they are pleasant enough people and their prices are their prices; I haven't had coupon issues the one time I almost bought a bass there. The one thing I won't put up with is sleaziness or wasting my time, and I don't feel they've done that.

FWIW I also had a guy who I knew at GC once do the same re: a good online price (say we can't do that, and that's a great deal, I'd buy it from them).

I have the feeling GC salespeople have an "at risk" amount on each item, and get commission based on how much they preserve.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Danhedonia View Post
I have the feeling GC salespeople have an "at risk" amount on each item, and get commission based on how much they preserve.
I think they stopped commission back in '07, which is why they suck so bad now...I had a regular salesguy at my local GC(excellent guitarist, still a good friend) who would always do 20%...not only was he the only guy I saw for purchases, but he was LEGENDARY locally and everyone referred all their friends to him. Whatever commission he was trimming off of his sales with discounts was more than made up for in volume.

As for $15---it's ALWAYS worth it...if I had the $15 to spare, I'd sooo much rather give it to charity or someone more deserving than the jerkoffs down at GC who created this problem in the first place wave.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Kuz929 View Post
This. It's 15 freakin' bucks! Quit whining about spending your money and just play your new guitar
Let me ask you a question, if you went to the store to buy a shirt, the price tag on the shirt was $50, you got to the register and they rang up the shirt at $50 but the cashier told you you owed him $65, would you simply donate the extra $15 to him without even raising an eyebrow? After all, it's only 15 bucks, right? So paying $15 more for something than the marked price should not bother you, right?

I doubt that any one of you would happily fork over $15 more than the advertised price of anything just to avoid the "hassle." I'm sorry but I am not in the business of donating money to businesses for nothing in return. I will not pay them a penny more than the advertised price for something, especially when I know that they are simply trying to find a way of screwing me for that $15.

• Members
Let me ask you a question, if you went to the store to buy a shirt, the price tag on the shirt was $50, you got to the register and they rang up the shirt at $50 but the cashier told you you owed him $65, would you simply donate the extra $15 to him without even raising an eyebrow? After all, it's only 15 bucks, right? So paying $15 more for something than the marked price should not bother you, right?

I doubt that any one of you would happily fork over $15 more than the advertised price of anything just to avoid the "hassle." I'm sorry but I am not in the business of donating money to businesses for nothing in return. I will not pay them a penny more than the advertised price for something, especially when I know that they are simply trying to find a way of screwing me for that $15.
I wouldn't pay $50 for a shirt, and the price tag on your guitar was $99.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by arrowhen

View Post

I wouldn't pay $50 for a shirt, and the price tag on your guitar was $99.

$99 - $15 = 84. Either way you look at it, they wanted to charge me $15 more than the selling price. But hey, since $15 isn't that big of a deal to you, why don't you and everyone else who thinks $15 is nothing just paypal me $15 and we'll call it even? The net result is the same - you send me $15 and get nothing in return. Same net result as if I give GC $99 for an item that should cost me $84. I have given them $15 and gotten nothing in return. If you think that's not an amount worth arguing about, then let's not argue and you just send me $15. Deal?

• Members

The item you bought is known in the industry as a 'loss leader.' The company loses money selling that $99 guitar. They advertise it hoping you'll walk in the door and purchase something else that's profitable. Taking another $15 off means they lost even more profit. Chances are, the extra $15 off online was a mistake.

You probably think you're an important customer because you've spent a lot of money with them. But, if you always tend to purchase their deep discounted merchandise, they may have never made any profit from your purchases. The industry calls that type clientele 'bottom feeders.' If a business has nothing but bottom feeder clientele, they'll be out of business in the blink of an eye.

Try to look at it from their point of view. They have rent, utilities and salaries to pay. The non-profitable business is not their top priority. Online business with low overhead make it very difficult for a brick and mortar business to compete.

I've seen a lot of good brick and mortar companies go out of business in my area in the last few years. The low overhead internet pricing pressure has been one of the main reasons.

On one hand, the lower pricing is good for us as consumers. But, as more physical stores disappear, I can't help but think we consumers are paying a different kind of price. Every year I read about another music store going out of business. Every year, it's getting harder for me to go out and find a music store near me where I can physically play guitars and amps. I wonder how long it will be before I can ONLY purchase gear online?

• Members

I get the occasional hassle at the two Guitar Centers here, but for the most part, they are great guys. Musician's Friend isn't really an issue, most of the time, either. Music 123, has been seriously hit or miss. Sweetwater is amazing, except their turnover rate on employees seems to be rather frequent. Seems like every time I call, they have given me a new associate.

• Members

I realize their the exact same company, with the exact same employees and stock(in fact, their used gear crosses over from site to site) but of the three, MF is the easiest to deal with, for some reason.

And for the record, I give my mom and pops a fair amount of business...especially when it comes to buying and trading in used gear. One of them even has a very good price match policy on new gear, but I never take advantage of it because it's a mom and pop.

Case in point: I was in the market for a Laney a couple of years ago and could've bought it online for $75 cheaper...I decided to buy the amp in-store without any haggle simply because I know the owner and he's a decent guy. I think the whole key is customer service...that's what ultimately prevails in retail when the economy is hurting like it is now...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jrockbridge View Post
The item you bought is known in the industry as a 'loss leader.' The company loses money selling that $99 guitar. They advertise it hoping you'll walk in the door and purchase something else that's profitable. Taking another $15 off means they lost even more profit. Chances are, the extra $15 off online was a mistake.

You probably think you're an important customer because you've spent a lot of money with them. But, if you always tend to purchase their deep discounted merchandise, they may have never made any profit from your purchases. The industry calls that type clientele 'bottom feeders.' If a business has nothing but bottom feeder clientele, they'll be out of business in the blink of an eye.

Try to look at it from their point of view. They have rent, utilities and salaries to pay. The non-profitable business is not their top priority. Online business with low overhead make it very difficult for a brick and mortar business to compete.

I've seen a lot of good brick and mortar companies go out of business in my area in the last few years. The low overhead internet pricing pressure has been one of the main reasons.

On one hand, the lower pricing is good for us as consumers. But, as more physical stores disappear, I can't help but think we consumers are paying a different kind of price. Every year I read about another music store going out of business. Every year, it's getting harder for me to go out and find a music store near me where I can physically play guitars and amps. I wonder how long it will be before I can ONLY purchase gear online?
I know what a loss leader is. This particular guitar was not a loss leader. The loss leader was the acoustic they advertised in their TV commercial for $69. When I went into the store, I initially asked for that one and was of course told that they were sold out. I asked what else they had close to that price and they pointed me to that one and a Rogue for $79. I never saw the one I bought advertised anywhere, it was just another product they had in store and on their website like all their other products, nothing special about it and it wasn't advertised like loss leaders usually are. Again, the loss leader was the $69 acoustic that they were sold out of.

• Members
I know what a loss leader is. This particular guitar was not a loss leader. The loss leader was the acoustic they advertised in their TV commercial for $69. When I went into the store, I initially asked for that one and was of course told that they were sold out. I asked what else they had close to that price and they pointed me to that one and a Rogue for $79. I never saw the one I bought advertised anywhere, it was just another product they had in store and on their website like all their other products, nothing special about it and it wasn't advertised like loss leaders usually are. Again, the loss leader was the $69 acoustic that they were sold out of.
How much margin do you think is in a $99 guitar? After a $15 discount, it's most certainly a loss...especially when you add in the costs for shipping, rent, utilities, employees, etc. There are very few $99 instruments in any music stores that have any margin.

There are some items that cost a store $1500 and are priced at $2000. If they end up putting the item on sale for $1299 it's a loss for the store. It happens all the time with all kinds of merchandise.

I've been reading your complaint threads for years on this forum. I don't think you have to worry much about getting the shaft. You are winning in terms of getting killer deals on gear at ultra low prices. I doubt there are many retailers out there making a dime from you. The fact that you don't know or believe it is typical. But, stores really do operate on very low margins on a lot of merchandise.

Archived