Silverburst Gibson 335-S (1980s or 2011 re-issue), who's got one?

Fusion1

• Members

From the 80s with the chrome / nickel tulip Schaller keys and TP-6 Fine-tuning tailpiece and Dirty Finger pickups:

81GibsonES335SSilverburst.jpg

To the 2011 re-issue with Granadillo fretboard, bog standard chrome Grovers, straight stopbar, and Burstbucker Pros:

Gibson-335-S.jpg

Seems like these are no where to be found. Weird as these came and went in 2011 and I don't even remember seeing a press release for these. I was looking for a wine red 80s standard for some time now right before the re-issues came out.

Looking for a re-issue one online is still hard to come by, and in Silverburst almost non-existent.

Anyone here have one and how does it compare to the 80s original? Looks like the 80s model had better swag with the TP-6 and Schallers. If you have a newer Silverburst model, where did you buy it?

• Members

I actually noticed the different burst shape between the 80s model and the 2011 model when I posted the pictures in the OP. It is weird that the Silverburst has the new burst pattern where the natural sunburst has the older egg shaped burst. I actually prefer the newer style burst pattern. I wonder why Gibson chose to do 2 separate burst patterns depending on color?

Quote Originally Posted by Hand Amputation View Post
I wish Gibson/Epiphone would do silverburst the way they used to... The 'egg shape' and not 'perimeter shape'.

• Members

sorry if I provided yet some more GAS for you...

my first sighting of this model was years ago on the Seymour Duncan forum when someone posted a pic of the guitar they installed the just introduced P-Rails pickups into. It was Wine Red and I still lust after that 335-S

Just found a picture of this beauty:

100_0491.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man View Post
Those really are kinda interesting. And I must admit, I don't remember seeing that model. confused.gif

With all my years of GAS'n that one has flown under my radar..

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Fusion1 View Post
sorry if I provided yet some more GAS for you...

my first sighting of this model was years ago on the Seymour Duncan forum when someone posted a pic of the guitar they installed the just introduced P-Rails pickups into. It was Wine Red and I still lust after that 335-S
Nice! I first saw them in some pawn shops for next to nothing in the early 90's. I played them many times while out scouting for deals to flip. I loved the look of the Silverburst on that body shape. I just never picked one up until I found this one a little while back, and remembered how cool I thought they were. I'm glad I picked one of the old ones up. It's a great sounding & playing guitar. Pretty comfy too.

Archived