Baked maple & shoddy build quality: A tale of two Gibbies (sound clip within)

Deadbeat Son

• Members

I'm guilty of picking up more blowout Gibsons than I needed this holiday season. I always hear stories of horrible build quality on current production Gibsons, but I just haven't seen it. These two guitars are as flawless as your average off the rack import so many people gush over. The biding is done well, the fretwork is nice, and there are not finish flaws that I can see. Bonus? They're built using domestic labor.

I'll be the first to admit, after the wood raid, I was pretty skeptical of the baked maple switch. It's not because I think it's an "inferior" product, but I just don't care for maple fretboards on any of my guitars. I really prefer the feel of rosewood underneath my fretting fingers. I don't know why that is, but it's been a common theme in my 25+ years of playing. I have never had a maple boarded guitar that I could seriously bond with. I think it has something to do with the finish.

The baked maple has an advantage for me in that it is unfinished. It is definitely a lot slicker and more polished feeling than rosewood, but it's not nearly as strange feeling as finished maple to me. After spending some time with these two guitars, I still prefer rosewood, but I wouldn't let a BM spec stop me from buying a guitar I was otherwise enthralled with. idn_smilie.gif

Enough of the gibberish, on with the pics! (I didn't do a NGD for either of these guitars, but I got them both within the past week. Also, they're a deeper shade of cherry than the photo would suggest. Maybe I should have used some post-processing. I'm a photography idiot.)

photo-1.jpg

Even better, here's a clip using these two guitars and an old Peavey bass I have. I rarely record, but I'm going to resolve to try to improve my recording skills for the new year. I used my THR10 into Garageband on my MacBook Pro via USB to record. It's a very simple setup, and even I could figure it out. For the rhythm tracks, I used the HB equipped guitar into a Marshall model. For the lead, I used the P90 guitar into a Vox model. I kind of suck at programming drums, playing bass, and mixing. I hope I'll get better if I keep this up.

http://soundcloud.com/deadbeat_son/alright

Feedback is definitely appreciated.

• Members

Do you actually feel the fretboard under your fingers? When I push down a fret I almost never touch the fingerboard... Just because frets aren't scalloped doesn't mean you actually feel the fretboard unless you press really hard.

• Members

Do you actually feel the fretboard under your fingers? When I push down a fret I almost never touch the fingerboard... Just because frets aren't scalloped doesn't mean you actually feel the fretboard unless you press really hard.

• Members

I'm kicking myself for not buying any of the blowout guitars. I went for a dream Gibby of mine that was quite a bit more instead. And turns out, it may have baked maple unlike rosewood as advertised. Glad to hear you enjoy it though, gives me hope! Those are beautiful twins by the way.

• Members

I'm kicking myself for not buying any of the blowout guitars. I went for a dream Gibby of mine that was quite a bit more instead. And turns out, it may have baked maple unlike rosewood as advertised. Glad to hear you enjoy it though, gives me hope! Those are beautiful twins by the way.

• Members

I have run into some QC issues with Gibsons, so they do exist, but I'm still a Gibson fan because by and large they sound better to my ears than most of my humboogie imports.

I ended up acquiring just 2 Gibsons during the end-o-year blowouts, but still that brought my BM fretboarded Gibsons up to a total of 6.

SG Jr
MM Special
SG '70s Tribute (mini-hums)

The best deals:
LP Junior Special HB (tobacco burst) $549
SG Standard $820

Oh, and correction - number 6 was actually the Richlite. Feels a lot like ebony
Gibson Midtown Custom. - I missed the Sam Ash deal on that one, but still $1,099 seemed like a bargain from Zz.

thumb.gif

It was a fun run but possibly knocked a point or two off of my credit ratio scores cop.gifredface.gif

• Members

I have run into some QC issues with Gibsons, so they do exist, but I'm still a Gibson fan because by and large they sound better to my ears than most of my humboogie imports.

I ended up acquiring just 2 Gibsons during the end-o-year blowouts, but still that brought my BM fretboarded Gibsons up to a total of 6.

SG Jr
MM Special

The best deals:
SG Standard $820

Gibson Midtown Custom. - I missed the Sam Ash deal on that one, but still $1,099 seemed like a bargain from Zz.

thumb.gif

It was a fun run but possibly knocked a point or two off of my credit ratio scores cop.gifredface.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaModder

View Post

Don't kick yourself. These guitars will come and go. The dream Gibby will likely be a keeper. I predict I will play these for 6 - 12 mos. and move them along. They really don't have anything that stands out about them as compared to my other guitars. If I was seriously looking for a new guitar and wasn't already satisfied with what I have, I would likely keep them. They're both stellar guitars for the money. They were both level 2 used at MF, so that made them very affordable. I always buy used there. If there's something I really want, I'll hold out until someone else returns it. To me, it's no different than buying off the rack at the local shop, but I get a substantial discount for it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaModder

View Post

Don't kick yourself. These guitars will come and go. The dream Gibby will likely be a keeper. I predict I will play these for 6 - 12 mos. and move them along. They really don't have anything that stands out about them as compared to my other guitars. If I was seriously looking for a new guitar and wasn't already satisfied with what I have, I would likely keep them. They're both stellar guitars for the money. They were both level 2 used at MF, so that made them very affordable. I always buy used there. If there's something I really want, I'll hold out until someone else returns it. To me, it's no different than buying off the rack at the local shop, but I get a substantial discount for it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JVH

View Post

Those of us with slightly pudgy fingers get regular wood.

• Members

View Post

Those of us with slightly pudgy fingers get regular wood.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man View Post

SG Jr
MM Special

The best deals:
SG Standard $820

thumb.gif

I believe there are Gibson QC issues, but I don't believe they're as rampant as the internet folklore may lead one to believe.

My ES-137 has kind of crappy binding scraping on the fretboard and a run in the paint. Those things don't matter to me in the slightest though. They allowed me to pick up the guitar for $1130 new!

Quote Originally Posted by wagdog View Post
Nice guitars.

Recording sounds great! Nice job and nice playing. Very impressed w/the tones of the guitars.
Thanks WD! They're solid, toneful, well-built guitars. And priced quite well too. thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man View Post

SG Jr
MM Special

The best deals:
SG Standard $820

thumb.gif

I believe there are Gibson QC issues, but I don't believe they're as rampant as the internet folklore may lead one to believe.

My ES-137 has kind of crappy binding scraping on the fretboard and a run in the paint. Those things don't matter to me in the slightest though. They allowed me to pick up the guitar for $1130 new!

Quote Originally Posted by wagdog View Post
Nice guitars.

Recording sounds great! Nice job and nice playing. Very impressed w/the tones of the guitars.
Thanks WD! They're solid, toneful, well-built guitars. And priced quite well too. thumb.gif

• Members

View Post

I can "feel" the wood when I do bends. I have a rosewood board that feels a bit rough when I push a string over it.

• Members

View Post

I can "feel" the wood when I do bends. I have a rosewood board that feels a bit rough when I push a string over it.

Archived