Boost pedal recommendations

cokekolev

• Members

Never played much with a 900. Had an 800 for a while back in the day. I ended up preferring an original GuvNor into the 800 with 'just enough' dirt on the 800, then I'd kick the GuvNor for real dirt. I definitely preferred that to anything I could get out of the 800 by itself.

I basically dialed the amp and pedal so it sounded nice and crunchy with my guitar volume on about 7, then just rolled the volume up when I needed a boost.

Today, my main amp is basically a tweaked 18W Marshall and I like the Crunchbox or the Lovepedal Superlead in front of it, but I'm not going for super gainy tones... just a little boost and some thickening.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cokekolev

View Post

I don't need a "volume boost", I'm just looking for a pedal with huge volume increase to push the front end of the amp as hard as possible smile.gif

Make yourself a BYOC FET Preamp. Does magic stuff, has tone controls so you can scoop the mids, boost the top or whatever. Has a theoretical 26 db boost, which on the front end can really kick an amp running clean into OD territory. Love mine working out front of my twin reverb.

• Members

Sometimes when I see folks looking for LOTS of dB of boost, I have to wonder... I know a lot of that gets lost and turned into compression but man... I have a number of pedals with 20+ dB of boost... That's an insane amount of boost. Again, since with most rigs, that gets turn into compression and breakup, how many times does one actually need 20dB of clean boost?

idn_smilie.gif

Archived