Phil Collins vs. Neil Peart?

Taylorman

• Members

Originally posted by gcdrummer

I don't believe the Neil is 100% prog. He has progness, but he's not prog.

Listen to Rush from 1980 and before. If you don't consider the Hemispheres & Farewell to Kings albums to be prog rock then you have a seriously different definition of prog rock than I and most other people do.

Both are great drummers, I prefer Peart's style over Collins, personally.

• Members

Originally posted by Scheming Demon

Listen to Rush from 1980 and before. If you don't consider the Hemispheres & Farewell to Kings albums to be prog rock then you have a seriously different definition of prog rock than I and most other people do.

Both are great drummers, I prefer Peart's style over Collins, personally.

Hemispheres is my fav Rush CD and La Villa Strangiatto is my all time fav song. But over all I don't conisder Neil a prog drummer. Is he prog because of the time sigs and the fact that he has percussion? He has progness in his playing, but I don't think he's prog in my book.

Ever heard Phil in his prog band before Genesis? Brand X I think. That's more prog than Rush. Portnoy, Virgil, those guys are more prog than Neil.

The title of this thread is Phil Collins vs. Neil Peart. But then goes on to say they are both prog drummers. I don't really consider either of them prog. Phil's pre-Genesis stuff was, and some early Rush stuff was a little. Perhaps I can say that they both can play prog, but they aren't prog drummers. How's that?

• Members

If you don't consider Neil and Phil progressive, what is your definition of progressive?

They play songs that use various time signatures, go through multiple changes and incorporate complicated beats and song structures. That is the very definition of prog in my book.

Certainly Portnoy is more progressive at the moment. Rush hasn't been progressive in close to 20 years but they still do incorporate elements of progressiveness in the newer stuff.

To oversimplify it, beats that stay mainly in 4/4, in-the-pocket if you will = non-progressive.

Complicated, varied time signature beats = progressive.

• Members

I was referring to the early Genesis albums; Foxtrot and Selling England By The Pound-time Genesis. If you listen to the drumming on that, you would have to:

1)Admit Collins WAS a prog drummer(the 80s and 90s stuff was horrible)

2)Agree that he is one of the most underrated drummers of all time.

I always thought Peart was a little too mechanical; not enough feel. I've heard him echo this in interviews too; that he might be little too technical.

• Members

Originally posted by agogobill

both are great drummers ... both win!

BUT ... Mr. Collins is a much better singer ...

Thats about right,both guys are fine drummers & both guys have a style you can recognise,I think a finger print is important,to many drummers sounds exactly the same,you can always tell a Peart riff & in many ways Collins is very interesting.B.T.W both are progressive drummers,& both have fine chops.

• Members

Neil can't write a grammy award winning song, major pop tune or carry a hit solo career and a cult band following at the same time...He is NOT a rock 'n roll drummer. Max Weinberg is a rock 'n roll drummer. Ringo Starr is a rock 'n roll drummer. Neil is a machine. If Neil and Phil had a baby it would have been Carl Palmer - the best of both - Feel and Speed, Technique and Talent!

'nuf said.

drumt

• 17 years later...

Archived