Epiphone 50th Anniversary 1961 SG Special (P-90)

GAS Man

• Members

I got mine back in November at the local Guitar Center (even though it's 2 hours away) and I love it. I was wondering why I went with this over the Epiphone SGs with humbuckers, but I bet it's because of the neck binding, because it's the only Epiphone SG they make now that has the binding (excluding the Custom). Binding looks authentic, if that makes any sense. I will definitely switch out the "lightning" tailpiece for a fully adjustable wraparound first, then I might switch out the saddles with rollers and put a Bigsby B-50 on it. Pickups sound great for the price of the guitar, I might switch them out for some P90-shaped humbuckers before long. The tuners are surprisingly good for what they are, I think it almost tunes better than the Grovers that were on my other Epiphone. I love the fact that it has position marker things under the knobs, it lets you know exactly what number you're on. BTW, I took off the back control cover, and it had a thin piece of metal on the back, for shielding, and I think I saw that it was, in fact, a laminate top. Why? I don't know. Wiring was tied up with a zip tie. Everything looks clean on it (except under the pickguard, where there was pieces of wood they weren't paid to dust off) and I actually believe that they spent a little bit more time with these, hence "Custom Shop" on the back of the headstock. Bought an SKB molded case to go with mine, and after the modifications, it should be one sweet guitar.

• Members

I kinda wish my wife and I held out a while for something like this '61. Sorta.

Instead, after a bone nut, new pickguard, Kent Armstrongs, used Grovers and a little patience, we now have a plywood, bolt-on neck G310 that cost about the same as the above.

namufull.jpg

• Members

I kinda wish my wife and I held out a while for something like this '61. Sorta.

Instead, after a bone nut, new pickguard, Kent Armstrongs, used Grovers and a little patience, we now have a plywood, bolt-on neck G310 that cost about the same as the above.

namufull.jpg

What's that Rauchabzug thing?

• 11 months later...
  • Members

I've got one of the ugly **bleep** TV Yellow ones.  By far the fugliest color I've ever seen on an Epiphone that I can remember.  The finish is weird, semi translucuent on the top and opauqe on the german carve (suspect it was done to hide it's laminate top).  I'll take a plastic dipped finish over the "faded or worn" finish.  It plays nicer than any of the P90 equipped guitars in the 700 dollar price range I've found and it sounds pretty **bleep** good. 

Archived