Your first guitar?

batotman

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

IMG_1583.jpg<br>>

I've got a lifted fret at the 14th on the high e side. Thinkin about replacin the whole friggin neck as a fret job would be price. The downside is the neck is worn in and very comfy. Profile is exact same as a protone.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by batotman

LP Custom eh?

I think I speak for all of us when i say "{censored} YOU"!

Bastard!
:D

Want to hear something funny? Well, you're going to anyways. :p

When I first got it, I was initially disappointed because it wasn't Cherry Sunburst like Ace Frehley's.

Seven months later, I went to see KISS in concert and Ace was playing a black LP Custom.

Believe it or not, my parents paid $900 for that guitar brand new...still wish I had it...I got tired of it getting stolen, so I eventually sold it for an amount of money I'm too embarrased to admit here. :(

On another negative note...that LP must have weighed 12+ pounds.

• Members

Originally posted by Dean Medlock

Want to hear something funny? Well, you're going to anyways.
:p

When I first got it, I was initially disappointed because it wasn't Cherry Sunburst like Ace Frehley's.

Seven months later, I went to see KISS in concert and Ace was playing a black LP Custom.

Believe it or not, my parents paid $900 for that guitar brand new...still wish I had it...I got tired of it getting stolen, so I eventually sold it for an amount of money I'm too embarrased to admit here.
:(

On another negative note...that LP must have weighed 12+ pounds.

How depressing! I would never pay the money they go for today but still wouldn't mind owning one! :(

• Members

First acoustic: 60's ish checkmate. Pretty, but the thing would go out of tune if you glanced wrong at the same floor of the house it was on. Still have it, though.

First electric: Saturday Night Special. Blue. Stratish body, 1 humbucker, I think. Came with an amp of the same name with the warning "Do not expose to moisture or PAIN" Sold the guitar to a friend in high school. Gave the amp away, um, last week.

First bass: 70's ish teisco del ray. Fun, but the neck was a bit warped, leading to very very high action. Sunburst back, someone spraypainted the front black and carved "Jay" into it. I'll find some pictures later.

• Members

A nothing special about it Sqiuer strat - still have it - still covered in Sepultura and Emperor stickers.

first bass was an old Zelinka solid body. Still have that too, though the neck has long since done the sit-down dance at sing-sing!

• Members

My first guitar and amp. A Teisco that I got from a yardsale for $7.50. The amp is a Gorilla I got for $15.

EDIT: I forgot I tried putting a humbucker out of a Lori LP copy. I also duct taped it. Woo for 8th grade.

• Members

My first guitar was a Yamaha FG-seires acoutsic,my first electric was a Harmony strat copy-which I eventually modified the heck out of-with Bill Lawrence h.b. in the bridge,a Floyd (1st kid in my town with one, since they'd just come out!).A real hatchet-job. But one which I am planning to re-store soon,with new pups, locking tuners on a new neck and and re-finish in Deep Purple. Get this -the body is plywood lmao.

• Members

Originally posted by jmartin

My first guitar was a Yamaha FG-seires acoutsic,my first electric was a Harmony strat copy-which I eventually modified the heck out of-with Bill Lawrence h.b. in the bridge,a Floyd (1st kid in my town with one, since they'd just come out!).A real hatchet-job. But one which I am planning to re-store soon,with new pups, locking tuners on a new neck and and re-finish in Deep Purple. Get this -the body is plywood lmao.

I've got a late 70's Harmony Strat copy. I refin'd it, reshaped the headstock to make it look more "stratish", put in new electronics, and put on a custom logo. When I stripped it down, I expected plywood too. But it is actually solid. Here's a pic.

HarmonyStratfull1.jpg

• Members

bottom of the line Alvarez dread!

$160 new in 1984. I loved that guitar and played it to death for eight years when it finally fell apart, I played my first gig with that guitar.

I got laid because of that guitar, I loved it.

then I played a Martin one day and realized what a guitar could be, like night and day.

I still can't afford the Martin, but I'll always remember being blown away by the rich sound it had!

• Members

A lefty sunburst Johnson Strat. I eventually modded it all to hell. I changed all the pickups, coil taps on the bridge and neck, made a diamond plate metal pickguard and scratchplate, installed a new neck with locking tuners and graphite nut, and scalloped the new neck. It was a freaky guitar that sounded pretty good and held it's tune even after divebombs.

I eventually parted it out on eBay a few months after I got my Charvel Model 3.

• Members

A Sears catalog 'western style' acoustic was my first guitar. I sold it at a garage sale about 15 years ago. It had a high action where it couldn't be played much beyond the 5th fret and barre chords were strength building exercises.

• Members

it's a Yamaha F310 with crappy lam. top.

but it sounds exceptionally good and loud. i still have it.

my first electric was an Ibanez RG450, i sold it after 3 months since i hated the too flat neck, i couldn't not play "Little Wing" on it too easily.

• Members

Originally posted by snake eyes

Fender MIM strat from Guitar center.

Damn! I played for 15 years before I felt worthy of a MIM strat!

My first guitar was the archetypal nylon strung Spanish with mile-high action. I used to dream of owning a real Squier!

I feel a Monty Python sketch coming on...

"Squier??? You were lucky. When I were a lad, I had to play a cricket bat with razor wire stretched across it for strings, corned-beef-tin keys for tuners, and a scratchplate made out of me dad's old chewed-up tobacco!"

"Tobacco you say?"

"Aye."

"Golden Virginia?"

"Aye."

"You were lucky..."

;)

Archived