Does more gear equal more talent?

Skyforger

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...
  • Members

It sounds to me that your friend has a lack of confidence and his outward cockiness is just bravado.

If he has to use tons of effects and is reluctant to play in jams and has to hide behind expensive gear- that doesn't sound like someone who really rates themselves.

I think your 'friend' would probably be crushed if he read what you have written about him on a public forum.

• Members

I know way too many people in a variety of hobbies and disciplines who collect gear, but don't really know how to use it.  For some, collecting gear becomes the hobby instead of doing whatever the hobby is.  That's fine, but it doesn't make them better at what they do.

New gear can inspire playing, but from experience, that type of inspiration to play fades over time and the increase of skill gained during that time is often minimal and can be lost before the next piece of inspirational gear arrives.

You do need a certain quality level of gear to play well.  An entry level guitar is only going to get you so far.  However, you can excel playing with good quality, mid-priced gear.  A 300 or 400 dollar guitar may not sound as good as a more expensive guitar, but it should be just as playable as a more expensive guitar.  

• Members

Frist talent does not exist.  There is no such thing.  There's certainly love of music or a specific instrument, which can translate to skill, but nobody is born with an innate ability to play great music.  Let's just substitute "skill" for "talent."

Second, better gear might make you sound better if you're good enough to take advantage of it, or I'll even give you that maybe in some specific cases it could make you play better, but it's not related to talent (or skill, or whatever you want to call it).

He believes that he only needs to see the technique once or see the tab once before he's ready to practice it for about fifteen minutes, then he's "mastered it"

He is deluding himself.

For example, speedy, accurate lead work can be sloppy so long as there's enough distortion to hide it.

Um, no... it will sound sloppy with distortion.  Maybe some folks' (i.e. his) ears can't hear it, but it's still sloppy.

• Members

Absolutely not. I love gear and love wasting my money and time on eBay searching for and buying various pedals and amps and I'm a terrible guitarist. I've been playing for years and don't do much beyond strumming and raking power chords. But goddamn if I don't love running those power chords thru a new stomp box or amp every so often I get a bug up my ass.

• Members

I was at my peak twenty years ago as far as playing abilities go and I had only two guitars then (albeit very good ones). Now I own lots of stuff and twelve guitars and it's all going down playing wise. I guess that's one answer. But as it's been said, at least one good instrument is important to give the best chance for skills development. My french horn was gathering dust lately because I was fed up with the way it played and sounded. I finally brought it to a good repair shop and he did a complete overhaul and reconditioning. Took it all apart, cleaned and fitted and adjusted everything. Wow. like a new horn and I can't stop playing it these days. And I treated myself to a new mouthpiece. French horn GAS...

Archived