In the shop

meandi

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nice looking guitar!

Gonna leave it natural...that's a good look on a tele with the black pg?

What's coming with UPS?

thanks.

new (cheap) pattern bit so i can get this neck shaped..

this being the practice tele i was planning on just using what i had around.. what i have around is ebony minwax stain that I'll probably top w/ tru-oil.

• Members
a clean shop is an unused shop
;)

yeah. I do hoard wood scraps
:(

Yep!
Especially nice hardwood scraps
Now that I've got the tools for inlay work, I'm thinking some of may get used for decorative purposes from time to time...diamond shaped marker dots for fretboards, etc.

• Members
I have a question that determines if you are a hoarder...what is the biggest piece of wood that you have thrown out?

I'm still hanging on to 6" long 3/4" pieces of warped pine
:facepalm:

You never know when you will need some little piece of ash to make some wood/epoxy filler :facepalm:

guilty

• Members

I was thinking about change this morning.
I was born in 1947.
My dad was farming 40 acres with a 3 horse hitch.
He was a WWII vet, North Africa.
They didn't get electricity in the house till 2 yrs before I was born.
I was 5 or 6 yrs old when they got their first hanging on the wall crank telephone.
There are persons who will read this, who live on the other side of the planet from where I live...
I'm both amazed & intrigued by this fact.
Happy saturday, all.

• Members

I was thinking about change this morning.

I was born in 1947.

My dad was farming 40 acres with a 3 horse hitch.

He was a WWII vet, North Africa.

They didn't get electricity in the house till 2 yrs before I was born.

I was 5 or 6 yrs old when they got their first hanging on the wall crank telephone.

There are persons who will read this, who live on the other side of the planet from where I live...

I'm both amazed & intrigued by this fact.

Happy saturday, all.

dude, you are old. you do realize it isn't Saturday, right?

:lol:;)

just kidding with you.

• Members

In studying this photo, I thinking that I need to increase the angle of the pedestal somewhat, thereby dropping the headstock relative to the body.
The plane of the neck itself does not visually match the slope of the top profile as it moves down to the front of the body.
The time invested in prototyping projects frequently is time well spent.
ma38.jpg

• Members
In studying this photo, I thinking that I need to increase the angle of the pedestal somewhat, thereby dropping the headstock relative to the body.

The plane of the neck itself does not visually match the slope of the top profile as it moves down to the front of the body.

The time invested in prototyping projects frequently is time well spent.

ma38.jpg

It's a bit difficult to judge from the photo as the neck looks HUGE!

I wish I had the patience to prototype things...

If the nail is in at right angles to the top, don't you need the neck to be at right angles to the bridge? You could put a piece of string around the nail and then pull it tight to the fretboard, that would help to visualise how the strings would sit and also how high they would be above the top. It would also mean you could see the break angle over the bridge (which I guess is pretty important to the sound of an archtop?).

• Members
It's a bit difficult to judge from the photo as the neck looks HUGE!

I wish I had the patience to prototype things...

If the nail is in at right angles to the top, don't you need the neck to be at right angles to the bridge? You could put a piece of string around the nail and then pull it tight to the fretboard, that would help to visualise how the strings would sit and also how high they would be above the top. It would also mean you could see the break angle over the bridge (which I guess is pretty important to the sound of an archtop?).

The dummy neck dimensionally includes the height of the fingerboard for accuracy in the prototype.
The large appearance of the neck is a proportional thing brought about by the small size of the block used.
When held in proximity to the top blank for the guitar, it becomes much less imposing.
ma61.jpg

ma62.jpg

Increasing the neck angle will necessitate seating the pedestal deeper into the neck block, in order to regain the intersection of the neck plane with the saddle top...this will increase the break angle of the strings off of the front of the saddle, which I see as a positive.
More break angle = more down force on the bridge into the top = theoretically more driving of the top for sound = a crisper attack/better sustain.

• Members
The dummy neck dimensionally includes the height of the fingerboard for accuracy in the prototype.

The large appearane of the neck is a proportional thing brought about by the small size of the block used.

When held in proximity to the top blank for the guitar, it becomes much less imposing.

ma61.jpg

Increasing the neck angle will necessitate seating the pedestal deeper into the neck block, in order to regain the intersection of the neck plane with the saddle top...this will increase the break angle of the strings off of the front of the saddle, which I see as a positive.

More break angle = more down force on the bridge into the top = theoretically more driving of the top for sound = a crisper attack/better sustain.

Do you mind me asking a couple of questions?

No?

OK!..I'm not aware of this type of neck joint, is your own idea, or is it inspired by existing guitars? What do you see as the advantages to this construction, or is it aesthetic? Is the tenon tapered or square? Do you foresee any problems squeezing the glue out of the joint when the guitar is assembled?...done!

• Members
Do you mind me asking a couple of questions?

No?

OK!..I'm not aware of this type of neck joint, is your own idea, or is it inspired by existing guitars? What do you see as the advantages to this construction, or is it aesthetic? Is the tenon tapered or square? Do you foresee any problems squeezing the glue out of the joint when the guitar is assembled?...done!

It is an asthetic motivation, inspired by this guitar, built by Ken Parker.
It has a certain elegance that I like, with the visual cleanness of the front of the body, with the radiused corner coming out of the cutaway.
One thing that seems out of place, to me, is that the pedestal itself if built from a material other than wood.
Another is that the pedestal joins the neck abruptly, whereas I prefer the look when pedestal radiuses out into the shape of the neck.
pedestal1.jpg

Both the neck tennon & the mortise in the neck block, on my prototype, are tapered.
The tapered aspects of a conventional dovetail join allows for a press fit of the neck into the body, in it's final position.
This same press fit will be achieved in this design as well.
My thoughts, are at this time, that the neck will set in the body dry, with an anchor bolt that will come down through the pedestal & the back of the body to hold it's position, with the bolt head being recessed & hidden behind a small cover plug.
Much of this is still theory in my mind at this time...hence the extensive prototyping.
But this is where the "juice" is at for me in all of this...working out the problems & logistics involved in a new design!
pedestal2.jpg

• Members
It is an asthetic motivation, inspired by this guitar, built by Ken Parker.

It has a certain elegance that I like, with the visual cleanness of the front of the body, with the radiused corner coming out of the cutaway.

One thing that seems out of place is that the pedestal itself if built from a material other than wood.

Another is that the pedestal joins the neck abruptly, whereas I prefer the look when pedestal radiuses out into the shape of the neck.

pedestal1.jpg

Both the neck tennon & the mortise in the neck block are tapered.

The tapered aspects of a conventional dovetail join allows for a press fit of the neck into the body, in it's final position.

This same press fit will be achieved in this design as well.

My thoughts, are at this time, that the neck will set in the body dry, with an anchor bolt that will come down through the pedestal & the back of the body to hold it's position, with the bolt head being recessed & hidden behind a small cover plug.

Much of this is still theory in my mind at this time.

But this is where the "juice" is at for me in all of this...working out the problems & logistics involved in a new design!

pedestal2.jpg

Wow! That's beautiful. Is that a brass pedestal in the photo?

It's only by biting off more than we (think we) can chew that we ever really learn something. I would love to see this idea become reality.

Archived