In the shop

meandi

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The dremel is a very versatile tool.

I worked for years without one, but with the large variety of attachments available...I now wonder how I ever got along without it

Just watch for wear on the bearings. But yeah, it's pretty damn useful for a lot of things, especially polishing.

• Members

The work on the charvell turned out well.
It had set for several years without strings, so I was uncertain, going in, as to what to expect reguarding how it would carry the string loads.
charvellbridge2.jpg

charvellbridge3.jpg

charvellbridge4.jpg

Have some work on the blacktop to finish from last evening, shoot it & do the writing for the blacktop thread.

Major practice session this evening in preparation for my thursday lesson.

• Members
Just watch for wear on the bearings. But yeah, it's pretty damn useful for a lot of things, especially polishing.

Takes a big dog to weigh a ton...I like that:)

Know what an 800 lb cannary says as it's walking down an alley after dark...
heeeeeeere kitty, kitty, kitty.:lol:

• Members

Bet GD is pooped from all that birthing stuff, eh?

It's almost as bad as waiting for a guitar rebuild. :poke:

i sure was tuckered out last night, but got a great night's sleep and feel all recharged. My wife also did pretty good with sleep as well. i started another thread for it, if anyone's interested in pics and more info.

• Members

Great idea! These are all your own guitars I presume? I do repairs for other people and I've done a few paint jobs for $$ as well. I won't post pics of a customer's guitar. It's an ethics issue. It would be like a gynecologist posting pics of all the diseased vaginae encountered in a day's work.

I would think most people would be proud to show off their goods, especially if it's a job well done.

meandi - great idea for a thread. thanks for sharing, and for everyone else for chiming in with tips, too.

• Members

i sure was tuckered out last night, but got a great night's sleep and feel all recharged. My wife also did pretty good with sleep as well. i started another thread for it, if anyone's interested in pics and more info.

Glad you're feeling rested.

What an exhausting ordeal for all concerned.

I saw the pics, GD, what a beautiful child!!

Congrats again.

• Members

I would think most people would be proud to show off their goods, especially if it's a job well done.

meandi - great idea for a thread. thanks for sharing, and for everyone else for chiming in with tips, too.

They've all been real receptive to my showing their work on line.

Thanks for saying that.

I wondered that it might be considered a bit presumptious to do this thread around the day to day of my shop, when actually my core motivation is to start & maintain an on-going dialogue with a bunch of most interesting individuals, located in diverse locations globally, who all share a common interest.

• Members

A few things that are stuck in the closet & on shelves.
Maple & chocolate colored brazilian ebony, with a nice tight grained Alaskan sitka spruce top blank, for a blond, progressively styled jazz archtop, as outlined here.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2273955

ma57.jpg

Neck, fingerboard & tailpiece blanks.
ma58.jpg

Fingerboard & tailpiece have an ebony slab glued to the bottom.
On the fingerboard, it will provide an accent line between itself & the neck itself
ma59.jpg

ma60.jpg

• Members

I'm taking a different approach with this archtop.
Instead of the neck mounting the front of the body with dovetails, as we're all familiar with...

at256.jpg

at257.jpg

...it will be a pedestal mount that will join the body through the top into the neck block.
The pine mockup I'm using for sorting out the angles & building techniques has the actual top profile, so that as I fit the dummy neck to it I get an accurare representation of the real thing.
ma36.jpg

The nail at the bridge position is 1" tall representing bridge/saddle height.
This is the critical aspect, in that the precise angle & depth of set of the pedestal itself controlls whether or not the straight edge laid on the neck top intersects the top of the saddle.
ma37.jpg

This is the project that I was working on when I began GDs blacktop project.
Haven't touched it in the interum, but it's my main motivator to get the blacktop done.
So I've been going through my engineering drawings to refresh my mind on this...the hungrier I am for this, the more I'm pushed mentally to satisfactorially conclued the other.
ma38.jpg

• Members

Well, that black guitar I posted before with my custom shape is a clients, but it's pretty much the most comfortable body I have played to date. Soooo. I'm taking all the parts off my Mahogany Strat that I built. and making a new body for it in my custom shape. It will be a natural finish. Basically, just like my Strat now, but with the new shape.

So basically This....

3-1-10.jpg

will have this body (this is the black one before dye)

DCP_0112.jpg

Archived