USA! USA! Show us yer 'Mericans!

Angry Tele

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Aren't the White Falcons made in Japan?

Oh, come on, now. How technical are we going to get?

It's a GRETSCH! A true iconic American guitar company! A Brooklyn, New York company! Brooklyn is nowhere near Japan.

Alright, yes, my White Falcon was made in Japan. But everyone at that Japanese factory has American citizenship, has a Chet Atkins painting hanging in their living room, and rooted for King Kong while watching the movie KING KONG VS. GODZILLA.

• Members

That's a Ric 481, right?

1. Can't tell if it has slanted frets. Does it and if it does are they difficult to play?

2. What exactly does the switch above the pickup selector switch do?

Yes it is a 481.

Yea it does have slant frets and no they are not difficult to play. They may actually be easier

The switch above the pickup selector is a coil tap.

• Members

P1000637.jpg

Lessee...

1975 Peavey Pacer

1990s? Fender BXR 200

2004 Reverend Goblin

???? Roland Cube 60

...Plus a couple of kitchy amplification prototype devices I devised somewhere 'round a decade ago when I was more into that stuff.

What's that thing top-right?

• Members

I'm not going to and I'm sure that you are wondering why the biggest pic whore on HCEG would pass up this opportunity. Well, the truth is that most of my supposedly USA made guitars are comprised of gorgeous tonewoods that come, by and large, from third world countries, harvested by poor laborers who live in subhuman conditions.

Nah, I'm just playin' wit' ya. But I have too many of them so I'm gonna randomly pick some that were assembled almost completely by machine, with very little human intervention whatsoever (I'm not {censored}tin' you on this one). Yet they are marketed as handcrafted, boutique instruments. Go figure.

rick360b.jpg

rick620b.jpg

rick650d.jpg

ric36012.jpg

• Members
what's this one wagdog?

That is an all maple tele that built for me by a good friend. The wood was cut about 15 miles from my house (it's Vermont maple). When we picked it up, there was a nice block of flamed maple (the top), and a nice piece of birdseye (the neck). I took the top over to a neighbors who has a mill and we split it and planed it down (that was about the extent of my involvement in the build).

My friend then built the guitar over a period over of about 5 months or so. The neck is hand carved w/finger planes. The fingerboard is ebony. It weighs about 15 lbs. He kept telling me that we should weight relieve it before he put the top on, but I insisted on leaving it solid. It has incredible sustain, more then any other guitar I own. The neck is pretty chunky as well.

The finish on the body was put on by another buddy who owns an auto body shop. It has my name in black on the back, and the back and sides are painted with this dark, dark purple paint that color shifts into black/purple as you move around. It was then sprayed w/poly and buffed.

IMG_20111228_230102.jpg
rcaster10.jpg
rcaster14.jpg

• Members

Coming up soon at H-C: A "Show Us Yer MIMers" thread, followed by a "Show Us Yer MIJies" thread, then a "Show Us Yer MIKers" thread, and lastly a "Show Us Yer MIIies" thread.

These will be the threads for the rest of us whom are members of the unwashed proletariat.

• Members

Coming up soon at H-C: A "Show Us Yer MIMers" thread, followed by a "Show Us Yer MIJies" thread, then a "Show Us Yer MIKers" thread, and lastly a "Show Us Yer MIIies" thread.

These will be the threads for the rest of us whom are members of the unwashed proletariat.

Well whomever starts the MIJ thread needs to wait til tomorrow afternoon. Working on a deal for a MIJ Squier Strat w/hsc for $120, if my seller doesn't flake!

• Members

Well whomever starts the MIJ thread needs to wait til tomorrow afternoon. Working on a deal for a MIJ Sqier Strat w/hsc for $120, if my seller doesn't flake!

Good luck! I personally ran into (figuratively speaking) a blue early 80s MIJ Squier a while back and it was really very nice, but a wee bit expensive at the time some 8 years ago -- definitely more than $120, more like $399 and without a case.

Hopefully, the one you'll look at has not been unduly modified and is a "closet classic" without much fret wear. The hardshell case will be icing upon the proverbial cake.

• Members

Well whomever starts the MIJ thread needs to wait til tomorrow afternoon. Working on a deal for a MIJ Squier Strat w/hsc for $120, if my seller doesn't flake!

I volunteer! At what time should I strat the thread, Krash?

• Members
That is an all maple tele that built for me by a good friend. The wood was cut about 15 miles from my house (it's Vermont maple). When we picked it up, there was a nice block of flamed maple (the top), and a nice piece of birdseye (the neck). I took the top over to a neighbors who has a mill and we split it and planed it down (that was about the extent of my involvement in the build).

My friend then built the guitar over a period over of about 5 months or so. The neck is hand carved w/finger planes. The fingerboard is ebony. It weighs about 15 lbs. He kept telling me that we should weight relieve it before he put the top on, but I insisted on leaving it solid. It has incredible sustain, more then any other guitar I own. The neck is pretty chunky as well.

The finish on the body was put on by another buddy who owns an auto body shop. It has my name in black on the back, and the back and sides are painted with this dark, dark purple paint that color shifts into black/purple as you move around. It was then sprayed w/poly and buffed.

IMG_20111228_230102.jpg
rcaster10.jpg
rcaster14.jpg

Wow, just wow. :love:

Archived