Anyone Else Read Don Felder's Book, "Heaven & Hell/My Life In The Eagles (1974-2001)"

Bbreaker

• Members

I had always liked the Eagles music on Hotel California, and Felder's guitar playing as well.

It just seems to me that Henley, and Frey are very greedy when there is no need to be that way with all the money that group has made and continues to make from residuals, etc..

Who the hell can spend $100million+ on anything in a sane way, and they obviously have more moeny then that.

To me, that is just pure out-and-out greed.

Regardless of who is right and who is wrong here, the greed shows through and makes me lose respect for Henley and Frey. They are not that big of a deal in the entire scheme of things on this planet, except maybe in their own minds.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Interesting facts, thanks. In the end, money is the great divider, sadly.

I don't think it's the money... it's what the money stands for... value. Getting less than his fair share isn't going to put him in a welfare line, but it sends a very clear message: You're not as important. When all things are going to be equal, then that changes, it's hard to swallow, regardless of what the item in question is. It's not greed, it's about your value in the role you play.

• Members

Felder was a member of one of the most successful bands of all time. He is far luckier than most. I'm sorry things didn't work out for him as an Eagle, but he comes across as nothing more than a whiner. He's a fine guitarist, but The Eagles were always the Henley and Frey show.

You don't know, you wern't there, Felder started out giving lessons for [not cash] store credit at mom & pop music store's.

Felder is a musical GENIUS and contributed greatly to the success of the Eagles, and should be compesated as such.

Unfortunately, Ego's, $$$, & Badblood/differences, all got in the way of the music.:idea:

If I was getting screwed out of Millions of $$$ that were mine I'd bitch too.:cop:

• Members

Don was on Howard Stern last year. He did a rendition of Hotel California (which he wrote) that was just incredible. What a guitar player. I don't think it's any secret that Henley is one of the world's biggest assholes. I'm sure Felder did some things that kept him out of the band, but Henley is such a dick that he has to have absolute control over everything remotely related to The Eagles.

• Members

Don is poor for at least 5 chapters.

The rest of the Eagles make money too but not as much as The Gods (Henley & Fry) and mgr Irving Azoff.

Don complains.

The end.

BTW....... Henley; Fry and Azoff (mgr) must {censored} $'s.

I wish I was poor like Don.

• Members

From Wikipedia:

On February 6, 2001, Don Felder was fired from the Eagles. Felder responded by filing two lawsuits against "Eagles, Ltd., a California corporation; Don Henley, an individual; Glenn Frey, an individual; and "Does 1-50", alleging wrongful termination, breach of implied-in-fact contract, and breach of fiduciary duty, reportedly seeking $50 million in damages.

In his complaint, Felder alleged that from the 1994 Hell Freezes Over tour onward, Henley and Frey had "... insisted that they each receive a higher percentage of the band's profits ...", whereas the money had previously been split in five equal portions. Felder also accused them of coercing him into signing an agreement under which Henley and Frey would receive three times as much of the Selected Works: 1972-1999 proceeds than Felder.

On behalf of his clients Henley and Frey, attorney Daniel M. Petrocelli stated:

[Henley and Frey] felt

• Members

I guess the "lack of fun" aspect has always been the thing about The Eagles that kinda turned me off of them. Apart from Joe Walsh, who always seems to have a good time, the rest of the band seemed sullen and withdrawn.

yeah.........Joe dropped a grand piano out the widow of a hotel....the piano landed onto the hotel manager's car...........Joe then locked the front hotel doors and wouldn't let the manager in because he wasn't wearing a tie.

Jow Walsh for president:cool:

• Members

In 1977, I turned 14. I remember "Hotel California" was all over that year. "Star Wars" and "Hotel California". Of course, I had the LP (who didn't?!). I haven't listened to it in years, the entire album. I need to revisit it and The Eagles, in general. In the '80s and '90s, I wasn't in a place to listen to them, as I always felt they ripped off Gram Parsons. I'm over that now, and I appreciate their musicianship, at least.

• Members

I enjoyed the book. What really struck me, confirmed by most of the concert footage I've seen, is that Frey and particularly Henley never seem to be having any fun.

they are two of the most boring performers ever - in actual fact that Hell Freezers Over DVD just shows how the Eagles are an extremely boring live band. Henley and Frey just seem like two incredible spiteful pricks and Joe Walsh is a goose, the bass player a non event. Felder though is a great guitarist - The Eagles were finished after "one of these night" when Bernie Leadon left anyway.

• Members

The Eagles were the epitome of the professional '70s Arena Rock band. Slick production, perfect harmonies, well-crafted instrumental parts. Pure entertainment. Nothing wrong with any of that, but it was a major shift away from what bands represented in the '60s. Someone I knew once called The Eagles the "Country Monkees". I actually like The Monkees and Country, so I don't see that as being a bad thing. More than anything, it speaks to the manufactured quality many '70s bands had. In the '60s, there was more immediacy in much of Popular music, by the '70s, a lot of the music seemed studied and calculated in comparison.

• Members

The Eagles were the epitome of the professional '70s Arena Rock band. Slick production, perfect harmonies, well-crafted instrumental parts. Pure entertainment. Nothing wrong with any of that, but it was a major shift away from what bands represented in the '60s. Someone I knew once called The Eagles the "Country Monkees". I actually like The Monkees and Country, so I don't see that as being a bad thing. More than anything, it speaks to the manufactured quality many '70s bands had. In the '60s, there was more immediacy in much of Popular music, by the '70s, a lot of the music seemed studied and calculated in comparison.

a band being slick doesn't mean they are entertaining. Yeah sure their musicanship was excellent, but my god would it hurt them to actually move their bodies when they play live. So many {censored} songs they had -'lyin eyes' the most revolting song ever and they play it live! - it's just so booooooring live.

Archived