Are We in a State of Deconstruction?

kayd_mon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

kayd_mon wrote:

As an SE owner myself, I can vouch for them being pretty great. I love picking them up at shops, because they always sound good.

Maybe USA PRS is worlds better. It's been a while since I've played on a Custom 24. The most recent one I played was a Mira.

One thing I found interesting was that Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth played his SE sig for most of the last show I saw, and his other guitar was a sweet USA one. From an audience member's standpoint, it had basically the same functionality. His USA one might br nicer, but I couldn't tell in the audience, and he seemed to like his SE better. To each his/her own.

For me, I'd certainly like a USA PRS, but I'm happy with my SE.

What makes you think that just because Akerfeldt was playing an SE Sig that it was the same shelf model that you or I could buy?  It's pretty standard practice for guys with sponsorship deals to get custom shop models of the guitars they endorse.

PS  To Knotty: Never played a Blade but I have played Andersons and the like that didn't stand up to a good Fender in my mind.  See at least I qualified my position. 

The only Blade endorser I've ever seen live was Bernard Allison.  I notice that endorsing Blade didn't make him get rid of his Fenders though.   http://www.bernardallison.com/html/6,0,0,0,0_en.html

• Members

Akerfeldt's guitar still said SE on the headstock, so I assumed it was the import. But I really don't think it was a custom shop - USA PRS have more impressive tops, and his sig didn't have the same level of top figuring as his other guitar. I do know that some guys do that, but I didn't think it was the case here.

I saw them in a small club, so I did have a good look at their gear the whole night.

• Members

@bucksstudent

Does PRS make stuff for other companies? Interesting. I didn't know that. I thought that people's "better than production line" sig models were just out of that company's custom shop. Like, guys don't usually use their off the shelf sig Strat, since they actually play the custom shop prototype or whatever.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Akerfeldt's guitar still said SE on the headstock, so I assumed it was the import. But I really don't think it was a custom shop - USA PRS have more impressive tops, and his sig didn't have the same level of top figuring as his other guitar. I do know that some guys do that, but I didn't think it was the case here.

I saw them in a small club, so I did have a good look at their gear the whole night.

OK, I guess seeing is believing.  I guess the Sig guitars Clapton uses are the same ones we can get off the shelf, etc., etc.  The point is that Akerfeldt's Sig model is an SE, otherwise I'm 100% sure that he wouldn't be using it.

• Members

Paul Reed Smith ghostbuilt, and probably still does, for players like Ted Nugent. The Gibson Byrdland that Nugent uses live is the one Smith made him in the seventies, at least to my knowledge. It was defeat the purpose if everyone knew that Smith made guitars under the Gibson or Fender names for famous artists and call him a ghostbuilder, though. The 245 SE is definitely a better guitar than I've ever played from Gibson.

• Members

About the amps, I did know that.

One of my favorites, Porcupine Tree, uses a Line 6 Pod 2.0 for some sounds (you can see it sitting on the soundboard). According to Steven Wilson, he does use his Bad Cat that's onstage, but who knows how much or little.

You can get Pods to sound so good through PAs that I wouldn't be surprised that bands who don't rely on getting from-the-amp feedback would use them.

And about the ghost building, that's pretty crazy. It's cool, though.

Archived