Guitar Identification: Marvel

Ilikepoison

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Reviving an old thread- I still haven't been able to identify her, but have been playing her for two years now.

This CM Marvel, whatever the heck that is, is my main axe. Gigging live a fair bit, no backup ever needed. Rock solid and rocks hard- stays in tune forever. Sustains forever.

As far as I can tell, it's all original but the trem arm, which it didn't have when I bought it. I thought it might make sense to change the pups, but frankly the ones it came with are pretty sweet. Lot of range between the bridge (ROCK), the middle (classic rock, think tele) and the neck (really mellow.)

Great action, really smooth. The trem took getting used to, but I love it now.

I'm only bringing this thread up again cause a guy recently asked when it was made, and of course I have no idea!

Anyone?

All the best,

Ande

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I have the same guitar that I bought in South Korea in 2006. The shop owner told me that it was made in Vietnam. Now, whether or not that's true is anybody's guess. I couldn't put it down, though. Had to get it! I paid $225 for mine. Not a bad deal! I put a Tremel-No on mine, replaced the tuners, new pickups and now it's a great guitar! Funny that I spent more on the replacement parts than I did for the guitar itself :-) Still a fun guitar to play. I thought the bridge was to cheap too leave floating, though. Not to mention I thought it would be better served as a fixed bridge guitar.

• Members

Welcome, seizethedave-

Looks like you, me, and ilikepoison are forming a little club- owners of the cm marvel mystery-

Wanna show us some pics of yours?

And I'm curious about what model of tremel-no you put on it- I've been thinking about one as well. (Mine's still stock, and playin great- but it takes FOREVER to retune to drop d, so I'm thinking a tremel-no might do the trick...)

Best,

Ande

• Members

One more thought- the guy who sold mine to me said it was made in Korea, but since it was second hand with no markings, I figured he might not know much. Was yours new, by any chance?

Best,

Ande

• Members

Here's my little beauty!

I know, there's a string missing. Unfortunately it doesn't get much attention, partly because I mismatched the bridge with the rest of the pups. WWWAAAAYYYY too hot. Rocks like hell, though!

I like the idea that we're starting a club here. Perhaps we should start a website dedicated to this. We'll make everyone want one BAD then we'll sell them for $14,000 each. I like where this is headed :-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]330013[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]330011[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]330012[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]330008[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]330010[/ATTACH]

• Members

Nice axe, seizethedave. Looks VERY familiar. ;-)

I went through a phase of trying to identify it, but...it rocks, whatever it is, wherever it was made.

Mines just gone back on the stand after an early morning session- good stuff.

That hollowbody is sharp, too- I'm wondering if it's any relation, though. Headstock totally not the same shape. Thoughts about the logo?

Best,

ANde

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've had mine for a couple of years now and have had the same results regarding where and when it was made.  Quite a nice guitar, considering it was a pawn shop find.  Found mine in northern Illinois, so, how it made its way here I don't know but it is a sweet piece.  Mine too was missing the trem arm and a knob insert but it is in incredible condition other than that.  I just took off the other two covers from the knobs and bagged them hoping to find or make a new matching set.  Will try to figure out how to post pics so you all will see my sweet find.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Hi, this is Brandon, the one who started the thread to get my guitar identified.. I had to create a new account, having forgot my password.. but sadly I sold the Marvel when I was in dire times and regret it everytime I think about it... does anyone have one they would like to sell or know where they can be purchased? I checked ebay yesterday and nothing... please if you want to sell one contact me thru my email at BrandonAEEA@gmail.com I don't use forums too much. 

Hope you all are doing well, and the two on here who have Marvels, sorry I'm not in the club anymore, but if you want to sell that would be amazing..

• Members

Interesting as when I saw the body style, and thru neck I thought it looked like a Royce bass I owned for a while several years ago.. Never found much info on "Royce" except a catalog link, no longer there. There is a pic of a Royce 6 string. I owned the bass version of this. Was a nice bass guitar 

royce 

• Members

Even though I sold my Marvel and regret it so much, today I just picked up a used Mustang reissue.. white with tortise pickguard.. thinking of dropping some lace sensors in it, blue in neck, and red in bridge, I dont have any amp right now but tomrrow a friend of mine is selling me a Crate 3112 V 30 watt for $200. I'm excited after reading the reviews for the Crate, I had written them off as a cheap/beginner brand. Apparently the V series sounds amazing... ZZ Top used them! ha

• Members

Also, if someone could help me out with a good distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedal.. I've been looking into either the Red Witch Fuzz God or the Electro Harmonix Hot Tubes.. anyone ever play either over those.. Also gonna need a nice reverb pedal... hope you guys can gimme some advice.. I'm just getting back into the game, haven't played in years, literally! Wish the best to all of you, I'll check back tomorrow!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Members

Have you found out anything new about these basses I have a 4 string that I picked up in Buffalo,NY 8 years ago and I have yet to find any info on it. I picked it up for $200 because the back plate is warped and it needed new strings.

• Members

First, welcome to the Forum. Second, this thread is about guitars, not basses. The folks in the Bass Forum might be able to help if you start a new thread. Finally, this thread is three years old and I doubt there's any news.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Looking for a REVIVAL!!!!!! Ever hear of that story where you're at your grandparents house and tucked away, in a closet, in a case is a guitar? Yeah, that happened. These Marvel guitars just don't seem to want any attention. Mine only has a volume, and tone knob, unlike the ones I've seen. Plays really well, HEAVY AS HELL, and is in dead mint condition. Sounds like a strat in the neck position, and a gibson in the neck. Really versatile. I would NEVER sell it, but I am interested in the value of these guitars.

09169228eeeb1be01220482f356e21ea.thumb.JPG.3f917c0516b36013596975bd7f1f7d53.JPG

989b69f87e903b9ccbe809c04edbdb58.thumb.JPG.368a70718af36996cef30c5f470fc1a1.JPG

Archived