Should I have gotten a trussrod tool?

papaschtroumpf

• Members

Long time Acoustic player, I just bought my first Electric Guitar, an Epiphone Dot, at Guitar Center and they basically took it off the rack, and put it in the case. A friend of mine tells me I should have gottens manuals and a trussrod tool and possibly some warranty paperwork.

The manuals are available online, but are you supposed to get a trussrod tool for your guitar? are they different from one model to another? I'd like to learn to do my own setups.

• Members

Unless they gave you a discount as a demo/open box as-is guitar or it was a used guitar, you got hosed. Take it back to the store and request a refund and purchase a new guitar, in box with full factory pack including warranty cards and manual. The truss rod key is nothing more than an hex allen head wrench but it and the rest should have come with your puchase. 

• Members

This is apparently pretty much how Guitar Center sells guitars: You pick one, take it down, and they sell it to you. You don't get a warranty card, manual, etc. When I bought a Mexi Jazz Bass for our church, I had to ask the salesman to replace a missing tone knob. Apparently, they had taken it off to replace one on another bass because that's how he replaced the one on our bass--he simply took a knob off another bass.

• Members

Go to the hardware store and get the allen key to fit your truss rod. Unless you are desperate for the tiny free cable that comes with the guitar, then it's probably not worth the trouble. Guitar warranties don't actually cover much, and if you called Epiphone anyway, I'm sure they'd let you register the guitar same as if you mailed in a card.

So, HNGD! I love Dots. Pics!

• Members

I ordered an epi es-295 with case from musician's friend several years ago.  It came with paperwork and a cheap molded guitar cord in the case, but no truss rod wrench.  As a matter of fact the guitar wasn't in the case.  It came in a huge box that had the guitar and case side by side.

Archived