Any surf garage horror rock lovers? Soundclip content..

voneville

• Members

Most of the time when you hear this sort of music it's a bunch of high fashion fella's playing on "period correct" gear. I'm actually playing an Ibanez super strat with a floyd rose through a JCM 900 in this clip.

I think I'm doing this right. This is a little something my side project recorded at a practice.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=611338

We're recording more. It's definatley got a 60's garage vibe, with some influences as mentioned above. Tell me what you think. For the record, the guitar intro is supposed to sound like a really feable attempt at Chuck Berry. I know this isn't everyone's thing, but I love this kind of stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

:thu:
no clips either but i did just get a clone of the Mosrite Fuzzrite which Davie Allan and the Arrows used on Blues Theme!

Cool, does it live up to your expectations? I've heard the clips on the guys website (if it's the same guy) and they weren't that stellar. But I hear they're actually really nice sounding. I've got the Guyatone, it does okay, but it doesn't sound anything like Univox Superfuzz like it promises.

• Members

Originally posted by voneville

Cool, does it live up to your expectations? I've heard the clips on the guys website (if it's the same guy) and they weren't that stellar. But I hear they're actually really nice sounding. I've got the Guyatone, it does okay, but it doesn't sound anything like Univox Superfuzz like it promises.

mine is a "Fuzz Fog." the maker sells em on ebay--no real maker name for whatever reason. good build, quality parts: switchcraft, alpha, etc.

i've never heard a "live" Fuzzrite so i can only judge by clips. it sounds pretty close to me but i'm Mosrite no expert. it definitely has that raspy 60s sound i wanted and--to my surprise--lots of sustain. kinda weird. sometimes sounds like the note's trying to die because it's gated but a compressor won't let it. really simple circuit in a much smaller box than a Mosrite or Ashbrite.

you can hear it on "SHAVE" on my myspace page (sig). comes in about halfway in.

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

mine is a "Fuzz Fog." the maker sells em on ebay--no real maker name for whatever reason. good build, quality parts: switchcraft, alpha, etc.

i've never heard a "live" Fuzzrite so i can only judge by clips. it sounds pretty close to me but i'm Mosrite no expert. it definitely has that raspy 60s sound i wanted and--to my surprise--lots of sustain. kinda weird. sometimes sounds like the note's trying to die because it's gated but a compressor won't let it. really simple circuit in a much smaller box than a Mosrite or Ashbrite.

you can hear it on "SHAVE" on my myspace page (sig). comes in about halfway in.

That's pretty cool. I'm still searching for that nasty garagey sound that it seems only vintage pedals that cost more then my truck make. Ala 5678's.

• Members

Most of the time when you hear this sort of music it's a bunch of high fashion fella's playing on "period correct" gear. I'm actually playing an Ibanez super strat with a floyd rose through a JCM 900 in this clip.

I think I'm doing this right. This is a little something my side project recorded at a practice.

We're recording more. It's definatley got a 60's garage vibe, with some influences as mentioned above. Tell me what you think. For the record, the guitar intro is supposed to sound like a really feable attempt at Chuck Berry. I know this isn't everyone's thing, but I love this kind of stuff.

I liked the ending. Or should I say the outro? I love that kind of music. It's fun to play and people seem to really enjoy it.

Mmmm...Ibanez superstrats are pretty versitile. We used to do "Wipe out", "Apache" in my old band. I was sporting an Ibanez RG570 at the time. Worked great. It's fun to whammy and still be in tune.

• Members

Originally posted by Burningleaves

I liked the ending. Or should I say the outro? I love that kind of music. It's fun to play and people seem to really enjoy it.

Mmmm...Ibanez superstrats are pretty versitile. We used to do "Wipe out", "Apache" in my old band. I was sporting an Ibanez RG570 at the time. Worked great. It's fun to whammy and still be in tune.

My other band is called zombie surf camp and our guitarist uses that set up exclusively with great results. It's funny because people that play "retro" music are really into the image aspect, but the modern gear really does work better (doesn't exactly get the right sound though, but it doesn't sound bad either). His ibanez never goes out of tune, where as the other guitar players Jag goes out a lot (in comparison).

• Members

That's good stuff, like a million times tighter then what we're doing. But we're intentionally playing loose, so I guess that makes it okay.

Thanks! Your tune sounds tight enough to me!

We were a buch of 20-somethings pulling as many bong hits as we humanly could when we recorded that song(and others). I have been doing some gigs recently with a new band playing all of my old originals(like the clip), and it sounds heaps better to me now. In retrospect, weed was bad for tempo IMO.

• Members

My other band is called zombie surf camp and our guitarist uses that set up exclusively with great results. It's funny because people that play "retro" music are really into the image aspect, but the modern gear really does work better (doesn't exactly get the right sound though, but it doesn't sound bad either). His ibanez never goes out of tune, where as the other guitar players Jag goes out a lot (in comparison).

I used a G&L Legacy, and ASAT Special, back then. Now I use those, plus a Gibson ES135(Bigsby pending), and an SG Junior. I am not a retro snob, but an old tube Fender amp/reverb sounds best to me for the surf vibe, though I have also used an Ampeg V4 half stack.

• Members

Mmmm.... Mabye bands like yours will make Ibanez type guitars a new kind of "hip" for playing surfy/inst' type stuff.

I think my RG770 in lazer blue/ matching headstock, rosewood board would make a great looking guitar for that kind of stuff. I mean it does have "sharktooth" inlays!:D

• Members

Originally posted by 23miles

I am going to have to challenge you to come up with just a few more adjectives. I don't think you have exactly pinpointed this genre.

It's actually Surf, Garage, Horror Rock, which is 3 subgenre's that intermingle from time to time, but are generally seperate atonomous entities, sorry I can't come up with a more original name for this genre.

• Members

It's actually Surf, Garage, Horror Rock, which is 3 subgenre's that intermingle from time to time, but are generally seperate atonomous entities, sorry I can't come up with a more original name for this genre.

File it under "surf trash", that's what I like to call it. :cool:

Archived