Any surf garage horror rock lovers? Soundclip content..

voneville

• Members

Can anyone recommend me some of the garage surf bands, or surf trash bands?

I really like this sound as well, I gotta strat and an Epiphone Blues Custom, any suggestions how to get this sort of tone?

Also any tips on writing music like this, anything in particular I should know?

• Members

Originally posted by Devinstation

I really like this sound as well, I gotta strat and an Epiphone Blues Custom, any suggestions how to get this sort of tone?

I recommend: Voodoo Rythm Records and Norton Records as a starting point. Also listen to some Hasil Adkins; he is the godfather of this kind of music, been doing it since the fifties.

Guitar sound tips: Fender tube amp, reverb, slap echo, ping pong delay, tremolo (on the amp that is).

• Members

Originally posted by Devinstation

The "ray charles" part is actually played on a strat (g&l) through a fender tube amp with a fender reverb unit (although I don't think he has the reverb up on this song). The cheesey intro and chord parts were on an Ibanez through a JCM 900 Combo 1x12 with the reverb up, as well as the single note melody with tremelo picking.

Playing style for this style if music is almost completely blues based. I'm inspired by rock instrumentalists like the Ventures and the Shadows, as well as bands like The Cramps, Link Wray and Hasil Adkins. But The Grand Daddy's of Surf Music are really Chuck Berry and Duane Eddy, almost all of the early surf and rock instrumental guys were trying to emulate those guys in one way or another.

For a nice introduction to this type of music (more garagey and less polished then "Surf") go on myspace music and do a search for "Garage Horror Surf" and a ton of bands will pop up. And Join www.myspace.com/zombiesurfcamp while you're at it!

• 7 years later...

Archived