UPC Code Information Please

elbow

• Members

UPC codes... I know a redundant statement, but...

If I were doing a DIY CD with my own packaging and artwork, what about a UPC?

Where do I get one? Are they unique to my product? Is there some entity that I need to apply to so that I can get one? Do I just make up a number? What is the standard? Can I get the fonts/software to print them myself? Is there anything else that I should know?

• Members

The way I understand it, you have to register with some massive organization that creates and distributes UPC codes, and the buy-in price is something in the thousands of dollars. For that, you get your own code that you can alter for each release (they have static parts to identify the owner, and then the rest is product info). And you get to use it for evah!

Oooorrr you can get a code from a manufacturing plant, where those static numbers are theirs and the rest is product-related. This is usually free with the manufacturing process or very cheap. You could also just not include it, since if it's completely DIY (self made package and everything), the odds are you won't be needing to track sales and stuff at stores (which is really all they are good for).

Hope that helped to some degree, I wish I knew more specifics off hand (like the name of that organization).

• Members

Originally posted by elbow

UPC codes... I know a redundant statement, but...

If I were doing a DIY CD with my own packaging and artwork, what about a UPC?

Where do I get one? Are they unique to my product? Is there some entity that I need to apply to so that I can get one? Do I just make up a number? What is the standard? Can I get the fonts/software to print them myself? Is there anything else that I should know?

I know CdBaby will take care of it for you, but it isn't "technically" your own number.

Read more here: http://cdbaby.net/barcode

-J.P. LUX

• Members

Originally posted by jplux1

I know CdBaby will take care of it for you, but it isn't "technically" your own number.

Read more here:

-J.P. LUX

Right, but it doesn't matter as far as the retailer is concerned, you could clip a barcode off a cereal box and use that, because the store will enter it in as the code for your CD as long as they don't sell that brand of cereal.

Now as far as sales tracking, that's a different thing, but unless you're selling CDs by the thousands, you don't need to worry about it anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by BlueStrat

Right, but it doesn't matter as far as the retailer is concerned, you could clip a barcode off a cereal box and use that, because the store will enter it in as the code for your CD as long as they don't sell that brand of cereal.

Now as far as sales tracking, that's a different thing, but unless you're selling CDs by the thousands, you don't need to worry about it anyway.

That's sorta how I saw it. I have already talked to some local retailers about selling our CD, and they will if it has a bar code. I seriously doubt we will sell thousands or anything even close to that. I guess we just need a unique UPC is all. I like the CDBaby suggestion. That seems pretty straightforward, pretty cheap at $20, and should prevent me from getting into any hassles by just making up something. :D

• Members

Originally posted by guitarsjb

www.kunaki.com

I use them for our CD duplication. They package them and it includes the UPC code. No minimum to order and fast service.

I just checked out their site and $1.60 per with no minimum is a great price. I can assume that you like their product and service then?

• Members

I used to develop barcoding software... until I burned out and went back into audio.

Anyway, the American UPC (as opposed to the European EIN) has 10 digits*, of the which the first 5 are assigned to companies by the UCC (Uniform Code Council). The last 5 digits are then whatever that company wants to use. Getting a number from the UCC is kind of pricey, so you'll almost certainly want to deal with a company that's able to assign you one of their numbers.

By the way, you don't need to buy a roll of stickers unless you've already got your CDs created. The barcode is just a graphic which you can include in your package design. But please make the barcode appear in a nice crisp black on white background, and leave a bit of whitespace around it.

*actually 12 digits, but the very first digit doesn't really count, since it's used as a "packaging code", whatever that means. And the very last digit is a checksum.

• Members

Originally posted by elbow

I just checked out their site and $1.60 per with no minimum is a great price. I can assume that you like their product and service then?

High quality product, great replication of our artwork. No minimum is what really sold me. Pretty fast turnaround, usually shipped by next day. They also provide a link so people can buy from them and they ship them for you and send you a check every month. I got my checks no later than the 15th of the month each time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Check this page about the UPC barcode,

http://www.newcyberian.com/faq.html#barcode

You can create your own UPC barcode by going to http://www.unibar.com/ebarz/free-barcode.asp

The barcode is not yours but the chance for the barcode to be in the same store with other product of the same barcode is too small to be concerned.

BTW, New Cyberian does have very good prices on both CD replication and DVD replication

Archived