drum arrangements? how do i do this?

Walters9515

• Members

I'm not too sure about a specific drummer that plays anything w/o snare, kick and ride/hi-hats. I suggest maybe getting a book or something with some latin drum beats and rudiments. They will incorporate a lot of toms more so than anything else really.

• Members

I asume when you say "Rock Beats" You mean straight up. No funky patterns or anything. Everything isnt a Rock beat who ever said that. There is the straight up rock style, but you have jazz, funk, swing, etc. all these styles are different. Personally i think that if you are tired of playing the repititious rock beats you should try some jazz, or my favorite funk. And as far as not using ride, bass, or hats you might as well join the marching band. Well i guess you could just ride on your cymbal but still. Why dont you do some research on jazz, funk, and swing then come back and ask if that dosnt fit what you want. And if nothing else you can throw your whole kit away except for your bass and snare and pla some rap!

• Members

hey guys, this is my first post, and even if this guy is a troll or not I would like to just try and help a little.

I in no way think the drums as a kit are purely limited to rock beats. The drums were invented a long time before 'rock' - what d you think they did all that time?!

I personally like playing rock beats, but with a nice funky overtone to spice things up a little. theres nothing like putting in a strangely accented fill over three bars or so jsut to put the bass player off - or a well timed open hi-hat to just round off a pattern. but of course, there are whole other styles that do not fit with the rock - swing and funk as already mentioned, but also samba which allows you to bring in other parts of the wide range of persussion instruments if youwish.

I would reccomend listening tosome music and finding out which things you like - then either find some tabs or books to learn how it is acheived or simpy pay around till you find what you like. Creativity is NOT something you either have or dont - everyone is different and so they have the ability to do something someone else cant. Just keep playing til you find what you like to hear - then wow someone!

• Members
Originally posted by Bazanaius2

hey guys, this is my first post, and even if this guy is a troll or not I would like to just try and help a little.

His questions don't even have answers, so he keeps asking the same {censored} over and over.

• Members

Originally posted by Chao

His questions don't even have answers, so he keeps asking the same {censored} over and over.

Not to pick on you, Chao, but this post hasn't been replied to for 3 days. If you leave it alone, it will drop off page 1, and out of our collective memories forever.

Look at the date stamps on this thing...it seems like once the thread has gone cold for a few days, somebody feels the need to drag it back up to the surface. I also realize that by responding to it again, I'm essentially bumping it back to the top...that's why I did it on the same day somebody else responded.

Let's all just ignore this thread and it will go away on it's own. If you think this is a good idea, show me by NOT responding to it. If you NEED to respond, feel free to send me an e-mail or start a new thread on dealing with trolls.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Originally posted by magooly

Walters- it is impossible to play anything other than rock beats on drums. More specifically, rock beats that groove. It is just outside of the scope of the instrument, it can't be done. Perhaps the folks at open jam will know of an instrument that is capable of not playing rock beats

um ever heard of funk and jazz and blues?? they dont use rock beats last time i checked...

• 2 years later...
  • Members

There are really only two limiting factors: 1) your imagination and 2) the bounds of good taste.

Since the second one is extremely subjective, you better focus on the first. If you like what your imagination comes up with, then at least one person thinks your creative output fits limitation number 2. If you then record it and try to distribute it and/or go play in public, you'll find out if anybody shares your subjective belief.

Now stop asking us what will make you creative and different, and go create!

(BTW, the Terry Bozio reference is a good one.)

Archived