Stage Volume: Drummer too loud

flip333

• Members
However, a solid powerful and loud drummer can also be an asset... Grohl, Bonham etc.
:)

This is exactly what I thought as I read through this thread. I guess in my opinion, the louder the drummer, the better the band. If the rest of the band can't keep up, you're either playing the wrong venues, have the wrong style of drummer for your band, or your equipment (amps/PA) really sucks. It really sucks as an audience member to see a band whose drummer plays wimpy to accommodate the vocals/guitars. Get louder amps and a louder singing voice.

• Members

This is exactly what I thought as I read through this thread. I guess in my opinion, the louder the drummer, the better the band. If the rest of the band can't keep up, you're either playing the wrong venues, have the wrong style of drummer for your band, or your equipment (amps/PA) really sucks. It really sucks as an audience member to see a band whose drummer plays wimpy to accommodate the vocals/guitars. Get louder amps and a louder singing voice.

Wrong! And believe me, I was a hitter at one time. There's a difference between being a forceful agressive drummer and just being a loud drummer. Bonham was loud but so was the whole band...I know...I saw them in their hey day.

When I started in bands, they never mic'ed up drummers. We had to play loud to be heard over the amps. That's no longer the norm any more. Most bands in the live venue situation put some kind of micing up, not because of volume, but because of front mix blend. I used to listen to some of the mixes from my early Second Coming days and was real disspointed. I could never hear enough drums IMO, but that was because my stage volume was so loud. I learned control and discipline and to play like part of the band, and not like being in a drum solo all night long...and believe you me, I had more whittled piles of wood and cracked cymbals that I care to admit.

Solution: The band plays louder to meet the drummer---WRONG...it produces the one upmanship we can go to "11" atmosphere. You can do it but you'll have no audience left to play to.

Solution: The band plays softer to try and force the drummer to come down in volume---WRONG. He's probably playing loud cause he's into it and is channeling a bunch of energy. You playing softer does nothing to him but hurts your performance as a group.

Solution: Fire him cause he won't conform---Wrong...he could be a good player so why throw the baby out with the bath water.

Solution: Find out why he blasting out and give him incentives---RIGHT! If he's playing loud cause he can't hear himself effectively, give him monitor or even better, a set of closed phones with the live mix int it. If he says he can't hear himself in the mix, tell him to bring his volume down so you can bring him up in the fronts. You have to be working for a BAND SOUND and not just his own sound. Mixes can be a very effective tool to show who's sticking out and who's not

Also inform him that playing just a tadd softer will help his endurance and make him more articulate. Show the positive side of playing softer. He can still rock out but as myron grombacher once said, "drumming is controlled mayhem" which means more like 10% perspiration and 90% conservation. With all that non expelled energy, he can play faster, more articulate, more complicated, and can really make the band as well as him shine brighter.

And if all else has failed and the problem still has not changed, then the group has to hammer it down. Ya wanna work with us or against cause we're just trying to get something going TOGETHER! We love your playing , but if it's all about you, then we'll have no other choice than to part company...it's about professionalism and not ego.

There's a reason he's playing like that....and I mean a REAL reason. Find out what it is and deal with THAT issue and not all the pseudo others...JMO:thu:

• Members

I agree with Carmine, find out why he's playing loud. Having a monitor beside him or in his ear very well may be the solution....or if you have a monitor beside him already, maybe it's too loud!

I don't think I'd approach him with the conservation of energy thing, because that may come across as you're telling him how to play his instrument, maybe make you look like you're trying to be a smart ass (especially if you're not a drummer, or not a drummer he respects as such).

I would however, tell him, either the band leader or the whole band, that you guys really like his playing, but you have been getting complaints about the drum level from your venues. If he has no real reason for playing loud, that can be fixed, or if he refuses to work on it....time to find a new time keeper!

• Members

Flip---several things to consider here. You mentioned this was his first real paying gig experience, so his obvious inexperience and immaturity is showing. Secondly, he sounds young by the way you describe him. Maybe it's just youth and adrenaline taking over. Whatever the case may be, he needs to seriously take into consideration what you are telling him. If you have to repeatedly tell him he's too loud and he refuses to change, or can't change, then don't hesitate to replace him. He will learn by corrective measures at some point or he'll be playing in his basement alone. Do not let one person in your band create an unhealthy atmosphere for everyone else. It is not worth it. Best of luck in your band and with your decision. BTW...I'm going to need the name of your cleaning company that is advertised in your avatar.

• Members

The fact that this thread is old really doesn't make much of a difference, as it is a common theme.

I have this issue, except I am on the other end of things. My guitarist is always pissing and moaning that I'm too loud on stage, so then he cranks his amp and people complain we're too loud.

What you may be failing to consider - I am certain that my guitarist is - is that (at least in our situation) the drums are not mic'd up and have crap for projection, while the guitars are blaring into the crowd. The drums are relying on their acoustic properties to try and keep up with everyone else. Of course they are going to be loud on stage.

We were doing a sound check for a recent show and were told by the owner that we were too loud and needed to turn down. I adjusted my playing and we played a few songs like that. At some point my singer went into the crowd to check our sound. She came back and told me that I was too quiet in the mix and needed to come up. I adjusted my playing again, and my guitarist instantly turned his amp up.

It really boggles my mind, because the guy is knowledgeable about music, but seems to be completely oblivious to the fact that there is a vast difference between the sound on stage and the sound that the crowd is hearing. Obviously the other answer would be to mic my kit, but generally we're not playing shows that require a setup like that, nor do I want to add any more gear to haul/set-up/break down. Of course an E-kit would solve the issue... and I am working on it.

I'd say that before you crucify your drummer, you really try to fully consider the scenario.

• Members

Hello Drummers of the world,

Tell me what would help our band. I am a guitar player in a new band. Our drummer is the newest guy. He hits hard.

I CANNOT STAND IT.

Our stage volume is too loud. This hurts our band because:

1) we put out more mush than music. Good PA system can't get vocals over the drums well.

2) my PA gets clipped because everyone starts to scream to be heard, even with 950W of monitors.

3) My ears were ringing this morning after last night's gig.

4) If everyone turns up to get over the drums, wierd room acoustics bring out irritating frequencies. I don't want to hire a soundman for $300 bar gigs.

He is a good player and is trying, but after discussing this over 10 times, I would say he cannot turn down. The last two drummers (in the last 5 years) were not this loud.

I want him to put a limit on his drum volume with some kind of physical device. Also for practice in my studio with my drums he is too loud. He is pounding a hole through my snare drum head, and just recently replaced his own. I would put the same limiter on my drums too.

We have a good band. We are asked to come back. But we will be better when we get our stage volume down. This summer for outside gigs on a big stage, his full volume will be fine.... but crimony tits.....

Help please!

$300 soundman? You're getting assraped.

That, and I bet you're complaining too much. You're new to the band, but he's new to them - are they complaining? If not, then it's just you. If they are, then it's an easy decision.

Tapping drummers are for the limp-wristed.

• Members

The fact that this thread is old really doesn't make much of a difference, as it is a common theme.

I have this issue, except I am on the other end of things. My guitarist is always pissing and moaning that I'm too loud on stage, so then he cranks his amp and people complain we're too loud.

What you may be failing to consider - I am certain that my guitarist is - is that (at least in our situation) the drums are not mic'd up and have crap for projection, while the guitars are blaring into the crowd. The drums are relying on their acoustic properties to try and keep up with everyone else. Of course they are going to be loud on stage.

We were doing a sound check for a recent show and were told by the owner that we were too loud and needed to turn down. I adjusted my playing and we played a few songs like that. At some point my singer went into the crowd to check our sound. She came back and told me that I was too quiet in the mix and needed to come up. I adjusted my playing again, and my guitarist instantly turned his amp up.

It really boggles my mind, because the guy is knowledgeable about music, but seems to be completely oblivious to the fact that there is a vast difference between the sound on stage and the sound that the crowd is hearing. Obviously the other answer would be to mic my kit, but generally we're not playing shows that require a setup like that, nor do I want to add any more gear to haul/set-up/break down. Of course an E-kit would solve the issue... and I am working on it.

I'd say that before you crucify your drummer, you really try to fully consider the scenario.

Proximity has a lot to do with it. Guitar player near drums = loud amp.

Move him further away, and he won't do that...at least, if he's that aware.

• Members

Hey Slide...check out the new Yamaha DTXs...man did they feel good with those new pads!

Yeah, I was actually looking at picking some up. I had my TD-10 kit, and I wish I didn't have to get rid of it... but what can you do? I'd REALLY like to try out the Yamaha DTXtreme IIS kits. I've seen them for sale for ~$1000, which isn't bad. I actually just contacted a guy the other day about a DTXpress IV that was for sale on Craigslist here in Maine for $400... which included a double kick pedal and amp. Never heard back from him though, unfortunately.

Archived