How much do you think they mark up cymbals?

MattACaster

• Members

That depends completely on the cost of the cymbal, the brand, hell the day of the week since prices fluctuate so often. Find a salesperson, be nice, and you'll find out.

I was toying with the idea of opening a music store locally, and had pretty much all the paperwork in order. Trust me when I say they're not making a ton of money on them. Keep in mind lower lines tend to have the most profit in their pricing. I'm not at liberty to post any prices, and they'd be out of date anyway since they're a few months old.

• Members

Originally posted by Zeromus-X

I was toying with the idea of opening a music store locally, and had pretty much all the paperwork in order. Trust me when I say they're not making a ton of money on them. Keep in mind lower lines tend to have the most profit in their pricing. I'm not at liberty to post any prices, and they'd be out of date anyway since they're a few months old.

Uh, that's not what I heard. I understand that there's regularly 50-100% markup in the MSRP. I know a shop that does 50% off MSRP ALL THE TIME on cymbals. The guy that runs it is good, and makes most of his money on rentals ("I can get more for a drumset per night than I would playing the gig!"). Now, if there wasn't at least that much mark-up, they'd be LOSING money.

/w

• Members

Originally posted by WillyRay

Uh, that's not what I heard. I understand that there's regularly 50-100% markup in the MSRP. I know a shop that does 50% off MSRP ALL THE TIME on cymbals. The guy that runs it is good, and makes most of his money on rentals ("I can get more for a drumset per night than I would playing the gig!"). Now, if there wasn't at least that much mark-up, they'd be LOSING money.

/w

There's a big difference between cost and MSRP. I can put out a drum and say that the list price is $500, the MSRP is $300, and the cost is only $50 bucks.

Manufacturer sets the MSRP. That's why it's the MSRP. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. If your store is selling things at MSRP, then yeah, there's going to be some flex room. But I can pretty much personally guarantee you there's not "50-100% markup in the MSRP" unless he's just gouging people in the first place.

• Members

There's a big difference between cost and MSRP. I can put out a drum and say that the list price is $500, the MSRP is $300, and the cost is only $50 bucks.

Manufacturer sets the MSRP. That's why it's the MSRP. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. If your store is selling things at MSRP, then yeah, there's going to be some flex room. But I can pretty much personally guarantee you there's not "50-100% markup in the MSRP" unless he's just gouging people in the first place.

It's more than that...

Figure a drum set...the shells cost in terms of wood and labor no more than $500.

Same kit sells for $3500, with a MSRP of $4500. That's a 700% markup.

Just sayin...

I mean, we're playing with plywood. Granted, it's plywood that has been formed, but it's still plywood. Thin layers glued together under pressure. Insert whatever wood you want, the cost differences between types of wood are pretty small.

But the price differences on the retail end is tremendous.

Given all that, what stores pay is probably 40-60% what they sell it for.

• Members

Um... here's what I'm saying. I know a guy who can take the BOOK value (MSRP... yeah, I know what the acronym means, thanks), and sell you the instrument at book value - .5book value and still make money, and he's a retailer, not a wholesaler. He's not selling things at MSPR, he uses half-MSRP to set his actual prices. I beg your pardon, but -IMO- MSRP contains a tremendous amount of mark up, your personal guarantee notwithstanding. I'll bet you lunch that the wholesale price is typically less than half of the MSRP.

If the question is "How much do you think they mark up cymbals?" my answer is, "a lot." Sounds like yours is "not much."

Maybe it's a question of semantics. Who's "THEY"? How much does the manufacturer mark up cymbals? Or how much does the retailer mark up cymbals? Obviously the manufacturer marks them up a lot, and anyone who sells them at MSRP is preying on the naive. With a retailer, it's more a question of "how much will they come DOWN from MSRP?", right?

/w

• Members

Well, here is the deal.

As you all know, not many other industries have a MSRP that means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Try going to your local grocery store and haggling over grocery prices!

But, I digress.

Most large chains do not make much on drum heads or cymbals. They are simply "lost leaders" that help you keep coming back and hopefully buying a bigger ticket item.

Most larger stores get 66 and 2/3rds Percent off the MSRP. It is not the same as 66 2/3 % off.

It is a formula that is a break down based on 50% off.

Anyhoo, that is what the larger stores get.

Just sayin'

DJ

• Members

Originally posted by Dendy Jarrett

Most larger stores get 66 and 2/3rds Percent off the MSRP. It is not the same as 66 2/3 % off.

It is a formula that is a break down based on 50% off.

[...]

Just sayin'

DJ

Hey DJ,

I'm confused by the word "get" and "off" in your sentence (no snickers, you tools, I'm being serious!). Do you mean that wholesale price is one third of MSRP?

/w

Archived