Mapex Pro-M Year Made???

jacarual

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jacarual: So you are getting the Stage Customs when?? You said GC had them as old stock?? If they said "Stage Customs" only and the tom holder rods go through the tom shells, they are pre-2002. If they are

"Stage Custom Advantages" they are newer.

Since then then they have also come out with "Stage Custom Nouvous" with plastic lug housings made for quick head changes. Some people have had problems with the plastic lug housings.

My only big problem with my set has been stripped out screws on the underside of the ball clamp tom mounts. But that is because I was WAY OVERTIGHTING the top wingscrew!! They still didn't go bad until 5 years later!

I use my hands a lot at my work as well so I have very strong hands. I was always cranking down on them whenever I heard a ring or buzz.

Up until about 5 years ago, the cheapest set Yamaha made was the Stage Custom and even then it was the pro's entry level set. I think they have tried to make the Customs more affordable while still keeping the Yamaha sound.

I too am floored by the Stage Customs. I did change the stock batter heads, but am still using the same reso and both stock kick heads.

I hope this helps.......

• Members

Thank you twosticks. They are old stock (just last years) but they are the Stage Custom Advantage. But they too have the plastic lug housings, although I did ask them for quite a few extra because I had already heard about the complaints. I've got them in Lay-a-way right now. They're kind of a Family Christmas Gift but not sure if we'll make it that far. There are two of us that will actually play them. My son already takes lessons and I took some years ago. We really liked the sound of them after playing just about everything we could find in this town (used & new premier, taye, gretsch, tama, pearl, pdp). He currently plays on a SCA at practice now so that could why he liked it, I liked the brand, color, and most of all the price.

• Members

Whew. Another wild night in the old drum forum. Watch those flying bar stools.

Originally posted by 1001gear

Please, call me Gear. Or just Ear would be fine. I gotta admit "Sir" was pretty cool though.

Umm.. the
:rolleyes:
or are you still ahead of me?
:D

Yeah. It dawned on me finally what you were referring to...a day later. :o

• Members

Jac: sounds like they may be the SC advantage Nouvous. Good thing you got extra lug housings. It is mostly on the snares only from what I heard on here. THe ones with the higher tension.

When I got them, I was looking at a cheaper used kit. My wife asked me what would really like to have. I showed her a blue fade wood grain laquar SC kit. She got me the same type five piece in a Chesnut wood stain finish for Christmas. It was the last year of the regular Stage Customs. The next Christmas, she got me the add on toms in the natural wood finish. They were SC advantages by then with the split lugs rather than the full lugs like the others.

Has been much easier to find Yamaha dealers than others and is easy to make nice sounds and tune. The SCs also seem to fit inside a wide range of different music styles.. Good luck and let us know how they work for you dude!

• Members

Originally posted by twosticks

Jac: sounds like they may be the SC advantage Nouvous. Good thing you got extra lug housings. It is mostly on the snares only from what I heard on here. THe ones with the higher tension.

When I got them, I was looking at a cheaper used kit. My wife asked me what would really like to have. I showed her a blue fade wood grain laquar SC kit. She got me the same type five piece in a Chesnut wood stain finish for Christmas. It was the last year of the regular Stage Customs. The next Christmas, she got me the add on toms in the natural wood finish. They were SC advantages by then with the split lugs rather than the full lugs like the others.

Has been much easier to find Yamaha dealers than others and is easy to make nice sounds and tune. The SCs also seem to fit inside a wide range of different music styles.. Good luck and let us know how they work for you dude!

Nope, they are the Stage Custom Advantage not the Nouveau. I was wondering about that and I checked with GC management several times because I was confused on the two. Then when I put in layaway I got the serial numbers and checked with Yamaha.

They think they were a special order and customer didn't take them.

One reason we chose them was because of the wide range of music styles. Spoke to a few local pro drummers and they recommended them. Spoke with George Lawrence from George's Drum Shop too and he recommended them as well.

I'm sure they'll rock!

• Members

Jac: Well that's interesting, I think as long as you don't crank down too hard you'll be okay. Also might fully release all tension before replacing heads. That might prevent breakage.

I have also replaced the kick pedal with a DW 4000. The stock one is okay or decent. It just seemed generic or sluggish after awhile and was hard to find a "sweet" spot on it. Good for a back up pedal though and I played on the old one for a few years until I built up speed in foot again.

I had played on so many B-line sets and ghetto sets before that it took me a couple years of playing the Stage Custom to really enjoy a mid-line decent set. Stuff that wasn't so cheap that it made dents went I locked it into place. Cymbal stands that didn't sway when I crashed on a cymbal. Drums that could stay in tune and have to retune each time. Chrome plating that didn't fall off and rust. Lugs didn't come loose. Stands didn't "slide' on themselves etc.....

The above things is why a mid line set beats an Economy or beginner set. Is why I like Yamaha Stage Customs.......Peace and love

• Members

Yamaha told me they were a HYBRID set. I'm sure we'll enjoy them. The hard thing is, since they're only in layaway - I keep seeing other sets that I think may be better but I always fall back on the SC's.

I've already been looking at a better kick pedal. Thought about the DW 5000 series, Eliminator, Iron Cobra...

Thanks for your input twosticks!;)

Archived