Timbales, or Roto's?

TimeKeeper310

• Members

Well, okay...I'm not about to run out and purchase anything, yet. But, I have a feeling, I will, eventually....don't even necessarily have the need for either yet....but, I just keep getting this taste in my mouth...

..so, I know when the time comes....I'll most likely be torn between the 2....I've read reviews on both...both equally, have their share of ups and downs....

..if there is one thing, I'd be armed with, at this point, is the sizes of most timbales I've seen....not sure I'd be crazy about the 'bigger' sizes...anyone using either....or have ever used?

Like I said....don't have the 'need' for any now....but, I'm sure, I could have a bit of fun, when I eventually get them....if, it's timbales, it'd most likely be 2...

feedback?? anyone?:confused: ...ups and downs, you may have encountered...:confused:

• Members

over the years I've had a 12" & 13" set of roto toms, and a snare totally stripped that I used llike a timbale.

I assume you are intersted in integrating the drums into your kit. You're not looking to play the timbales in a salsa band, are you? What are your plans for the drums?

I think the roto toms are more versatile in a drum-set context. They respond well to regular sticks. In regard to pitch and tone, they can fit in well with regular toms.

Timbales are a more distinct and limited tone. For some "effects" hits, you may be able to get away with a small tight snare, rather than a dedicated timbale.

• Members

Originally posted by Thingfish

Are you looking to get an 80's sound or a latin sound?

Hmm..I think I'd hafta say, the 80's sound....since the only bands I play in, are all rock/classic rock...

and when I do this...they will most likely just be used to 'spice' up a couple fills...or just to have fun with...maybe create a 'solo' ???:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by T Hofmann

I'm castin my ballot for 18" floor tom.

Mmmm...that mite even come later...but probably couldn't match my original finish....nevermind that, for me...if anything, I'd most rather do something with my 13" tom..like swap for a 14"..then I'd have 12-14-16...but..they're tuned just right..

it's already looking like an easier decision on the roto's/timbales...

as I said, IF timbale, it'd only be 2, since they're 'usually so big(the more common sizes?)

and the 3 roto's would fit more comfortably?....well..ok..I'll have at least til after Christmas to plan more...I'm sure the bigger task for me...will be deciding the brand/make? :rolleyes:

I'll want 'decent' ones...not like an entire set, for $49...nothing cheezy like that:wave:

• Members
Originally posted by TimeKeeper310

Mmmm...that mite even come later...but probably couldn't match my original finish....nevermind that, for me...if anything, I'd most rather do something with my 13" tom..like swap for a 14"..then I'd have 12-14-16...but..they're tuned just right..

it's already looking like an easier decision on the roto's/timbales...

as I said, IF timbale, it'd only be 2, since they're 'usually so big(the more common sizes?)

and the 3 roto's would fit more comfortably?....well..ok..I'll have at least til after Christmas to plan more...I'm sure the bigger task for me...will be deciding the brand/make?
:rolleyes:

I'll want 'decent' ones...not like an entire set, for $49...nothing cheezy like that:wave:

Of course, it is best to have an 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, and a 22. Least ways, you can set it up in any of the popular configurations as long as you have spurs and a lifter for the 18.

• Members

It's Ringo.

cheeseadiddle are 1001gear are correct.

It's Richard Starkey, Ringo Star, Zak Starkey's father.

I lifted the pic from the Drummerworld site. I have no idea what the image is originally from.

here's the whole thing...

George, Paul, Ringo, John.

ringo037.jpg

• Members

I've always liked the concept of an 18" floor tom - but I've never heard one that sounds good that also plays well. 18" seems just too large to respond well to a normal drumstick. It's almost like you have to put the sticks down and use mallets on it to get a really happening sound.

Originally posted by TimmyP

Rotos - although I'm with the gentleman who recommended a big, ballsy floor tom.

• Members

Originally posted by theFoot

just get one 14" roto. set it up with just your snare, BD, and the 18" FT (that you should have coming your way by now), and WHAMO! Now that's a kit, bro.

Holy {censored}, footman. you're a goddam GENIUS.

I'm totally getting one of those now.

Archived