Timbales, or Roto's?

TimeKeeper310

• Members
Originally posted by FitchFY

I've got a set of Remo Roto-Toms.

I honestly have no idea why.

Hell, I don't even know where they came from, come to think of it.

But I've got a set of Remo Roto-Toms.

:wave:

Just getting started on my 'shopping' mission...I've seen some Remo's..have only seen the Pulse Roto's in MF....what other brands/makes are there?....or, where is a good site/store to shop/browse these things?

• Members

Originally posted by T Hofmann

remos are the standard.

I think most other makes are knock-offs.

doesn't necessarily mean they suck, the whole concept of rotos doesn't exactly scream Hi-Q at me...

ok...can't recall ever hearing much positive feedback about them...but...as of yet, the one negative i've heard, is that they would inevitably lose tuning...or turn on their own?...not even sure, which make it was, that i read that about?

i've haven't been out to try any yet(as i'm sure i won't find a set sitting in the local music store here)

of the timbales and roto's....which would naturally be of the higher pitch?

• Members

Since all you have to do is turn the drum a bit to tune it, naturally they have a tendency to de-tune themselves. But it's no big deal; they stay pretty much on-pitch during the course of a performance unless you knock against them or something.

Originally posted by TimeKeeper310

...as of yet, the one negative i've heard, is that they would inevitably lose tuning...or turn on their own?

of the timbales and roto's....which would naturally be of the higher pitch?

A 6" Roto will easily be able to achieve higher pitch than most any timbale.

BTW, for the guy who said Rotos "don't scream HQ".... I have a cheapo set I purchased last year. I have no problem with the quality of them, and the Remos have higher-quality castings than mine and therefore ought be quite sturdy indeed.

• Members

staying tuned thru a performance would be cool.....just didn't know how often they un-roto'd.......but, as I said....if i get them....my hands will most likely be all over them, anyways, while i'm bangin' on 'em.....like..i'll WANT to drop tune, when i'm smackin', makin' sumpin sweet up....

i just have to decide which...either 3 romo's(set/kit).......or, 2 timbale's nothing bigger thgan 12" ...would like 10 & 12..if it's timbales...

• Members

Originally posted by coyote-1

BTW, for the guy who said Rotos "don't scream HQ".... I have a cheapo set I purchased last year. I have no problem with the quality of them, and the Remos have higher-quality castings than mine and therefore ought be quite sturdy indeed.

great.

so you don't need the name brands to get adequate performance.

rock on with yo rotos, be they primo remo or otherwise.

• Members

The quality issue involved here is sheer durability. I used to manage a drum shop waaaay back when, and occasionally some guy would bring in a cracked rototom. It you tune them extremely high and whack the proverbial sh&t out of 'em, the castings are breakable; the cheaper castings moreso than the higher-quality Remo castings. You pay Remo more for that quality difference.

Originally posted by FitchFY

Debating the quality of Roto-Toms is pretty funny; the heads are the only resonating bodies on the instrument. Otherwise, it's a simple design of metal. Essentially, regardless of the brand, they will sound pretty much the same.

• Members

Originally posted by jacarual

Just so I don't have to look these up - what's the dif???

The dif between what, rotos and timbales? You should look 'em up. The knowledge will make you a more well rounded drummer.

roto=tom = has a drumhead mounted to a bearing edge that has the ability to alter the tesnion of the drumead by means of rotating on a threaded spindle. most often there is no resonator, or shell.

timbales = single headed shallow drum usually played played with sticks and ranging in size from apx. 10" - 14". Often associated with Latin styles.

• Members
Originally posted by theFoot

The dif between what, rotos and timbales? You should look 'em up. The knowledge will make you a more well rounded drummer.

roto=tom = has a drumhead mounted to a bearing edge that has the ability to alter the tesnion of the drumead by means of rotating on a threaded spindle. most often there is no resonator, or shell.

timbales = single headed shallow drum usually played played with sticks and ranging in size from apx. 10" - 14". Often associated with Latin styles.

I will look them up when I have more time to sit and read. Busy few days through tomorrow though. Thanks for the explanation though.
:thu: :thu: ;)

Archived