How do I stop a tiny cymbal crack from growing?

Funkdapus

• Members

So I just got an 18" Sabian Hand Hammered thin crash that I bought from a guy online who claimed that it was in perfect condition. So I was looking at it yesterday and I noticed a tiny (maybe 1-2cm) crack on the edge. I like the cymbal and would like to save it from getting destroyed. Is there anything I can do to stop the crack at this point but not affect the sound?

• Members

Nope. Every measure I've ever seen ultimately fails - and usually, in a fairly short time.

You need to pursue a refund or somethng.

So I just got an 18" Sabian Hand Hammered thin crash that I bought from a guy online who claimed that it was in perfect condition. So I was looking at it yesterday and I noticed a tiny (maybe 1-2cm) crack on the edge. I like the cymbal and would like to save it from getting destroyed. Is there anything I can do to stop the crack at this point but not affect the sound?

• Members

IMO the only way to stop the crack is to stop playing the cymbal. If it were a ride cymbal and you played in an acoustic trio, grinding or drilling might have a chance. If backing out is practical, that'd be the preferred option. Failing that you'll have to use it as something besides a crash.

• Members

actually... you can, because I've done it! I had an 18" Sabian Paragon Crash that developed a crack where the bow meets the bell. It started out at about an inch and quickly grew to 2-3 inches. I stopped playing it for about 6months and recently decided to try to salvage it.

With the help of my bassist I merely drilled the crack out of the cymbal. We used a rounded drill bit that left semicircles at the edge of the hole. It's very much structurally intact and no cracks have developed from it. It took about 20 minutes and the only change to the cymbal's sound is that it's slightly more resonant and its pitch has been raised a little bit.

We also took tin snips to my 10" splash that had a good chunck of the edge cracked up. We just clipped around the broken section and made sure our lines were rounded. The splash sounds like it always did except it's a little higher in pitch.

If you don't care about the asthetics of having holes in your cymbals... these are good ways to salvage a broken one!

• Members

I'd pursue a refund - he listed it in perfect condition, and it wasn't, so go through eBay and get your money back. :wave:

If not, well... you can try drilling, but more or less, be emotionally prepared to see it grow, my friend. :(

• Members

He was a good cymbal. Only made noise when asked to. But when it did, he sang. Sang like the heavens. When he was tapped light, he was the flutter of a butterfly on a spring morning, when he was tapped hard, he roared like a lion demanding his food. In his prime, he was like no other. After the crack, he was just a version of his olderself. He tried to sing, but his raspy attempts weren't as clear as he sung before. He shall be missed. :cry:

RIP

• Members

Well... I have a 22" Zildjian A ride that's cracked, and I drilled a hole in it about 2 years ago. Since then it's gotten bigger, but it's still not extremely noticable. Before that, the crack was there for about a year. I just drilled the hole about 3/4", or maybe a little less, and it was fine.

• Members

I have drilled cymbals before. Depends on the size of the crack...kind of like windshield auto glass. If the crack is long but not splintered, I've used tin snips to cut a tiny wedge. If the crack is really small, I've drill an 1/8 hole right at the stopping point of the crack. It will split to the hole but no more. I've even gone so far as to drill a number of holes and made it a sizzler if need be.

If you JUST bought this, contact the vendor, If you get no response, use ebay safe haven and open a dispute...you just want what's fair...

• Members

take some pics, don't use it and file a claim. If you had this cymbal for many years I would tell you to buy a new one. I've never liked salvaging broken things but that's just my opinion. More power to you if you are pleased with the results.

• Members

What I did and it worked {to date}, was drill an 1/16" hole 1/4" away from the front of the crack. Its lasted quite a while now. Broke my heart to see my 1940's trans stamp get a hairline. Its the most awsome sounding cymbol. But if it came that way from eBay, it woulda been returned the same day.

• Members

I got a 1-2 cm crack on the edge of my 10'' A thin zildjian splash. I was pretty upset, cuz hey, who want's to pay for new cymbals every year? So, since there was nothing I could do with it, I said wut the heck, i'll try drillin it. Didn't work. The crack proceeded past the whole. Then I had a clever idea to cut a triangle to the end of the crack. Ever since then (2-3 years) it hasn't cracked any more. The cymbal is a little dryer, but it's still a great sounding splash. I'll post a pic later.

However, if you just bought it, don't settle for a crack. I'd only suggest you alter you're cymbal when you can't take it back and don't have much to lose accept for a potentially ruined cymbal that was already ruined.

Picture later today

• Members

If you cant send it back, which you really should do, drill a hole like others have said. If you need pictures to know how to drill a hole, don't even try to do it. You take a drill and put a small bit such as 3/16, 1/8, 1/16 and put in in the drill. Hold or clamp the cymbal down and drill away usually about 1-2cm further than where the crack is headed. I've done this to many of my friends cymbals and they all but one are still using them. sound shouldn't change very much more than what it already has due to the crack. good luck with what you decide to do with that cymbal.

• Members

Send it back. You got screwed. "Cracked" and "perfect condition" are not the same thing.

Imagine if you bought a car that was in "perfect condition", but it made a wierd engine knocking sound, and belched black smoke. Other than that it ran just fine. Would you try to get your money back on the car?

Same thing.

Archived