recommend me a drum set?

zuul777

• Members

Hi.

I'm picking out a drumset for my church's contemporary worship. We don't play extremely loud, and the sanctuary is quite large with high ceilings.

Right now we're using a Pearl Forum 5pc (7 yrs old) with:

zildjian 13" A mastersound hihats

zildjian A custom 20" ride

zildjian A 16" med crash

The owner of that needs his stuff back, so we have $1200 (pre-tax) to spend on the entire setup. Would like a shell a little nicer/better sounding than the Forum series, and we like the cymbals (although we wanna toy with some other hihats...)

Going out to Sam Ash and Guitar Center tomorow night probably.

Thanks for any advice or recommendations!

• Members
  • Members

Hi.

I'm picking out a drumset for my church's contemporary worship. We don't play extremely loud, and the sanctuary is quite large with high ceilings.

Right now we're using a Pearl Forum 5pc (7 yrs old) with:

zildjian 13" A mastersound hihats

zildjian A custom 20" ride

zildjian A 16" med crash

The owner of that needs his stuff back, so we have $1200 (pre-tax) to spend on the entire setup. Would like a shell a little nicer/better sounding than the Forum series, and we like the cymbals (although we wanna toy with some other hihats...)

Going out to Sam Ash and Guitar Center tomorow night probably.

Thanks for any advice or recommendations!

As far as bang for the buck (no pun intended) my suggestion would be any of the yamahas. They don't make a bad drum...real sweet round tones, easy to tune. SA and GC sell them with and without hardawre. Stage Customs and Rydeens will run you anywhere from 400 to 600, Gives you room to add any number of cymbals and cymbal packs. I buy cymbals individually so I test each one for specific needs. But Yammies rule in the beginning to medium priced sound market...

• Members

Might help if you clued us as to your thoughts on the old kit. Did you like it? Did it cut the music? Etc. etc...

Just guessing at it I'm thinking it might have been a little boomy in there. (?)

Anyway if that is even partially there, (micro pun not intended) you could take advantage of that worship hall reverb and go with jazz sized Rydeens. Also leave you big headroom on the budget.

• Members

I was at the drum shop where I shop yesterday.(that sentence sounds weird) Anyway, I think this kit is one of the best deals going right now. Pacific X7. It's a seven piece lacquered finished kit with hardware for $850. It's a beautiful looking and sounding professional kit. Check out their website and you can see the different finishes that are available.

• Members

I do a lot of my shoping in the scratch and dent specals at musiciansfriend.com. My latest purchase was a PacificDrums LX series set with the 900 series hardware for $599.00 plus about $60.00 shipping. There are some seriously good deals there sometimes. you may be able to step up to a better set than you think and still have money left for cymbals.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

You're going to need to go used, IMO. Those cymbals will eat at least half your budget by themselves, and if you're buying a kit with hardware for

On the used market, you should be able to piece together a pro or semi-pro 4-5 piece, with all hardware and the requisite cymbals.

*EDIT: Dur. You could probably improve on the Forums, even buying new, especially if you find a closeout.

• Members

Aaaa...this is hilarious...you'll get as many different recommendations as there are brands. Allow me to throw Mapex into the mix. There are unsurpassed deals right now on M Pro and M Birch kits that kill some of those already mentioned.

• Members

Aaaa...this is hilarious...you'll get as many different recommendations as there are brands. Allow me to throw Mapex into the mix. There are unsurpassed deals right now on M Pro and M Birch kits that
kill
some of those already mentioned.

YES... +10!!!

Archived