OT:old geezers and boomers question...

twosticks

• Members

Listening to my older CDs and Carmine's OT thread got me thinking;

I was raised on radio during the 70's, MTV during the 80's etc. I guess I know I'm old when Time/Life offers a CD collection with songs I remember from from high school. I thought it was odd when the commercial would mention songs from Culture Club. I never owned any CC, my friends never owned any CC, but it was on the radio some.

I guess my question is what bands were cool during the 60's and 70's? It seems that Gordon Lightfoot was semi cool then as well as now. Captain and Tennille not so much but they did have a few catchy songs. Elton John kinda did the same thing, but yet has remained a big seller. What do you geezers and boomers think about guys like Barry Manillow, Bread, BTO, Doobie Brothers, Chicago, ELO, Meatloaf, Eagles, Little River Band, Ted Nugent, Kansas, Bee Gees ( early days until disco) KISS, Guess Who, Neil Diamond, Steely Dan etc... you can add to this list.

I would like a little diatribe (short discussion) about what people really were listening to or liked, what was going on, their first albums. I would also like to hear when you first went from AM to FM stations, what the scene was like and so on.

From what I remember Boston, Steve Miller, and Fleetwood Mac was rock, Leo Sayer, Nick Childs, Starlight Vocal Band was pop, and Bread, Jim Croce and later Air Supply was "lite" music.

Or it may be like I remember and others said it was like the Midnite Special, where you could have Leo Sayer/ KISS/ David Bowie in the same show. What are your thoughts???

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

*Back then when I still cared, and in no concise order,

Ventures

Turtles

Kinks

Byrds

Mamas and the Papas

Beach Boys

Peter Paul and Mary

Buffalo Springfield

Crosby Stills Nash

Beatles

Tommy James and the Shondells

Dave Clark 5

Steve Miller

Cat Stevens

Cream

Vanilla Fudge

Deep Purple

King Crimson

Jethro Tull

Black Sabbath

Led Zeppelin

Jimi Hendrix Experience

CCR

GFR

Iron Butterfly

Yes

King Crimson

Steely Dan

Toto

:bor:

**You can probably guess where I grew up from this list.

Don't worry I left out a couple thousand other hit acts. :D

*Diatribe

** Diatribe continued.

• Members

yes, I wish I grew up when you grew up with all the great music. When almost all the music was good. When bands and artists really wrote and performed their songs. I was really young but I really remember hearing the Boston debut on headphones. The older Fleetwood, and Tusk being so different. Was it because some many creative people were in the business? or was it from the different songs that might on be radio at any given time?

I think is a mixture somewhat, kinda like how cable started off with a few channels. Thats what we learned to love. But was so many true musicians at the time. With Brickhouse you had songs like Wildfire at the same time! I was born too late! Thanks for sharing 1001!:thu:

• Members

Well in the 60s, that American Dream thing had taken permanent hold. TV turned from black and white to color. Rock was a booming industry.

It was like - pfft it was behavior lessons for the masses. They had to put out a wide spread because of the diversity of subcultures, and they were probably just fishing anyway.

By the time the 70s rolled around the son of big bizness crowd was thru with college and were firmly entrenched in the communications industry - it's their industry after all. Anyway avoiding speculation on the economic requirements of this machine, I suppose at this point the push was focussed toward a more accomplished self image. The music end had evolved considerably. Better technology, better players, smarter tunes, - Boston, Eagles, Toto, Journey -bigger business ...

That stuff's all above my head though. Me just drummer. :D

• Members

Actually, the 70's were the area that had the most impact on me. It seemed like there was a new band every week back then, Maybe it's was the age I was and I just payed more attention back then. We also listened to a lot of obscure {censored} then, I still do.

Sabbath

Zepplin

Deep Purple

Uriah Heep

Yes

White Witch

JGB

Savoy Brown

Foghat

Edger Winter

ZZ Top

BOC

Robin Trower

SOME Kiss- first two albums

Angel

Bob Seger- live bullet

Sticks- again first and second album

Rush

J. Tull

Montrose

AC/DC

Dust

Pink Floyd

Aerosmith

UFO

O.K. now I'm thinkin' too hard and I'm startin' to get a head ache. There were severalo others, just can't remember who they were. Later

• Members

If you can remember any of that stuff, you didn't truly experience it. :D

And twosticks, there has never been a time when "almost all the music was good." Time has a way of filtering out all the crap.*

It will do the same for today's music, though since I'm an old fart and sound just like my parents, I think there'll be less left over that still stands up to scrutiny.

* A wise man once said, "90% of everything is crap."

• Members

60's CCR, Led Zepelin, Cream, Who, BEATLES, Roll. Stones, But also

Motown acts. I liked Bread, Bee Gees and some of the "lite" music too.

70's Little Feat, Aerosmith, Boston, Eagles, Lynard Skynrd, Steve Miller,

Elvin Bishop, Robert Palmer, BEATLES, Wings, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd.

• Members

I should just give you my ipod...I've got about 3500 tunes of just classic rock on it from Paul Revere and the Raiders all the way up to the beginning 80's.

Pickinatit....I see you use a lot of Sunn gear. What the hell ever happened to the old Coloseum PAs. They just dried up and died. Was it because of the bulk, cause they sure were heavy! Come to think of it...any of you geezers remember Shure Vocal Master PAs, with the 5' tall 6-10 cabinets? Oh I know I just brought back some memories out of the closet now! :eek:

But back to the music shall we...:D

• Members
I should just give you my ipod...I've got about 3500 tunes of just classic rock on it from Paul Revere and the Raiders all the way up to the beginning 80's.

Pickinatit....I see you use a lot of Sunn gear. What the hell ever happened to the old Coloseum PAs. They just dried up and died. Was it because of the bulk, cause they sure were heavy! Come to think of it...any of you geezers remember Shure Vocal Master PAs, with the 5' tall 6-10 cabinets? Oh I know I just brought back some memories out of the closet now!
:eek:

But back to the music shall we...
:D

Shure vocal master PA:were were playing above Raleigh, NC, one awful night, and somehow the lead singer managed to snatch the PA head off the table it was on by one of the cables..that was the loudest reverb slap I have ever experienced..but the old thing kept grinding!!

• Members

Shure vocal master PA:were were playing above Raleigh, NC, one awful night, and somehow the lead singer managed to snatch the PA head off the table it was on by one of the cables..that was the loudest reverb slap I have ever experienced..but the old thing kept grinding!!

Scares the crap out of ya didn't it! :thu::thu::thu: Remember...you either had a 3' half stack...oooo, or the full 5' full stack...WOW! :eek:

Ya know what's really sad though...you can't even find a picture of one on the internet...I tried. :rolleyes: How pathetic is that! :p

• Members

If you can remember any of that stuff, you didn't
truly
experience it.

Well, I didn't take my first hit of weed until I went to college in 1973, but I was into music long before. First it was the Beatles, Then Paul Revere & the Raiders (remember Where The Action Is?), Then I got Tommy and my musical outlook changed completely. I listened to that LP every day for three months straight. Then in quick succession it was The Doors, Jethro Tull, Grand Funk Railroad, Alice Cooper, and Deep Purple. I lived about 100 miles south of Detroit, so Motown was on the radio a lot. I wasn't into it at the time, but I came to appreciate it years later. There was lots of stuff I didn't get into: Stones, Grateful Dead, Dylan. Just not my cup of tea.

I first heard Led Zeppelin when I was stoned. Guess what happened after I stopped getting high? Zeppelin is still my favorite band. Just goes to show you that you don't need drugs to appreciate good music.

• Members

This was my old set list from a band we had going in 69/70 my senior year in high school. 7 piece working cover band with horns with tight 3 part harmony.... We were knockin down 375 to 400 a night. If you are too young to reconginze the songs .. Utube them ,,, that is how i re constructed the list for the most part. rat

House of the rising sun

Along comes mary

Sunshine psalm

Aint to proud to beg

Shotgun

My girl

Spinning wheel

More and more

Get together

You don

• Members

I grew up in the same time period Sticks, 70's and 80's. I can remember my dad having a state of the art 8 track tape player in the car when I was a kid. (LOL) He would listen to the Beatles, Beach Boys and Dobbie Brothers over and over again. I loved them as a kid until I discovered Kiss. :D Yeah, I was one of those kids Gene and Paul made some bucks on but you know what, I liked it as a kid, it got me interested in playing music rather than just listening to it. Still listen every once in a while today and it takes me right back, as do the Beatles, Beach Boys and Doobie Brothers.

• Members

Rhat...I've played EVERY one of those tunes as well except:

Sunshine psalm

Hey mr spaceman

I don't know them? And you forgot "Red Rubber Ball" by Inner Cyrkle, "Windy" by the Association, Green Tambourine by the Lemon Pipers, Pictures of Matchstick Men, by Status Quo and a biggy "Journey to the Center of the Mind" by Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes. Memories anyone?

• Members

Come to think of it...any of you geezers remember Shure Vocal Master PAs, with the 5' tall 6-10 cabinets?

It was out dream PA in my first band. I would lust after the pictures of it in the catalog and dream of the day when we had one .....

There was one on ebay the other day ... might still be there. It looked pretty minty. I wanted to bid on it! But I wonder how bad a case of nostalgia you have to have to actually buy one now...

Here you go. $50! Pick up only in Las Vegas. I want it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHURE-VOCAL-MASTER-PA-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ250151091752QQihZ015QQcategoryZ47094QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

Sunshine psalm

Hey mr spaceman

I don't know them? And you forgot "Red Rubber Ball" by Inner Cyrkle, "Windy" by the Association, Green Tambourine by the Lemon Pipers, Pictures of Matchstick Men, by Status Quo and a biggy "Journey to the Center of the Mind" by Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes. Memories anyone?

Wow. There's a flashback. I completely forgot about Journey to the Center of the Mind. We used to kick an old Fender spring reverb for a big crashy sound effect when we played that one.

• Members

I grew up in the same time period Sticks, 70's and 80's. I can remember my dad having a state of the art 8 track tape player in the car when I was a kid. (LOL) He would listen to the Beatles, Beach Boys and Dobbie Brothers over and over again. I loved them as a kid until I discovered Kiss.
Yeah, I was one of those kids Gene and Paul made some bucks on but you know what, I liked it as a kid, it got me interested in playing music rather than just listening to it. Still listen every once in a while today and it takes me right back, as do the Beatles, Beach Boys and Doobie Brothers.

do you remember his rolling tray under the couch lol. rat

• Members

Sunshine psalm

Hey mr spaceman

Sunshine psalm was a cyran shames song. Scratch in the sky album if i remember. The harmony was a bitch, the shames were known for tight harmony.

mr spaceman was a byrds tune.. also with tight harmony

Our band was pretty well built around 3 chamber choir singers. Those guys ate that harmony up.

If i could get the singers ,, i think a corp/ festival band could do pretty well with that old list......No one that i have seen is really doing a festival show of those old covers. ya got alot of motown/ soul acts out there .. but no one is taking on the wicked harmony intensive stuff on that list. I think you could book a band for big money that could nail that list. It would be a big band... We ran with 7 .. and somtimes pumped it up to 10 if we feed in some extra guys from jazz band into the horn section. We had a sax player , and trombone player and conga drummer that would sit in for yuks on some stuff. They liked to do it ...and their help was always welcome when it came time to load in and out. we ran huge backlines back then.... our band was pretty gear intensive... we did all one nighters and had our own PA and get this .. light show. We had a oil emersion show with our own light guy. rat

• Members

If you can remember any of that stuff, you didn't
truly
experience it.

And twosticks, there has never been a time when "almost all the music was good." Time has a way of filtering out all the crap.*

It will do the same for today's music, though since I'm an old fart and sound just like my parents, I think there'll be less left over that still stands up to scrutiny.

* A wise man once said, "90% of
everything
is crap."

Drumtechdad, If I didn't experience it, then why the hell am I in recovery?:D Actually, my memory's better long term then short for sure- I think, wait a minute, that's not right. What I meant to say was................{censored}! Nevermind.

• Members

* A wise man once said, "90% of
everything
is crap."

I guess you're right, there was "Tiptoe Through the Tullips" "Disco Duck" "Convoy" "Sugar, Sugar" "I Think I Love You" "Green Tamborine" "You Light Up my Life" "Torn Between Two Lovers" "You and Me Against the World" Shaun Cassidy and Leif Garrett...... To Shay!:thu:

• Members

I guess you're right, there was "Tiptoe Through the Tullips" "Disco Duck" "Convoy" "Sugar, Sugar" "I Think I Love You" "Green Tamborine" "You Light Up my Life" "Torn Between Two Lovers" "You and Me Against the World" Shaun Cassidy and Leif Garrett...... To Shay!
:thu:

Bingo! We have a winner! :D

• Members

Ya got it wrong... it was a double album (Frampton Comes Alive, or Every Good Boy Deserves Favour... probably Big Bamboo...) and his drivers license.
:rawk:

Maybe that's what happened to my Kiss Double Platinum album as a kid. I thought that thing just dissappeared. :eek:

Archived