OT:old geezers and boomers question...

twosticks

• Members

I guess you're right, there was "Tiptoe Through the Tullips" "Disco Duck" "Convoy" "Sugar, Sugar" "I Think I Love You" "Green Tamborine" "You Light Up my Life" "Torn Between Two Lovers" "You and Me Against the World" Shaun Cassidy and Leif Garrett...... To Shay!
:thu:

I grew up listening to my sisters crank their Beatles, Monkees and Herman's Hermits 45's in the 60s. I was 12/13 in '73 when I started getting into rock. I was a big time Bad Company fan (my first concert was Bad Company "Runnin With the Pack" tour in '76), along with all the other classic bands everyone's listed already.

Speaking of vintage crap of the day...

Billy Don't Be a Hero

Having My Baby

Kung Fu Fighting

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I grew up listening to my sisters crank their Beatles, Monkees and Herman's Hermits 45's in the 60s. I was 12/13 in '73 when I started getting into rock. I was a big time Bad Company fan (my first concert was Bad Company "Runnin With the Pack" tour in '76), along with all the other classic bands everyone's listed already.

Speaking of vintage crap of the day...

Billy Don't Be a Hero

Having My Baby

Kung Fu Fighting

I.CAN'T. GET. IT. TO. STOP....."everybody was kung-fu fighting...dinky-dinky-dinky-dinky-dinky-dinky-dink..those cats were fast as lightning....

• Members
Ya got it wrong... it was a double album (Frampton Comes Alive, or Every Good Boy Deserves Favour... probably Big Bamboo...) and his drivers license.
:rawk:

LOL i forgot about the double album thing ... but then i forgot alot about that era of my life lol. It proves i lived it lol. rat

• Members

OK, somebody bought one of those 10,000 greatest hit cd's from Time Life didn't you! I can feel it...wait..wait...listen....is that Tubular Bells off in the distance?

I remember it well........

But I remember seeing that Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress) wondering if she'd Go All The Way and Smile A Little Smile For Me.* She was quite The Entertainer because she kept saying Hello It's Me, Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me, Do You Know What I mean? So I asked her Brother Louie if that Green-eyed Lady would be more receptive if the Moonlight Feels Right where she could be Stuck In The Middle With You and me and Drift Away, as she would always be Still The One Holdin' On To Yesterday. All I asked for was a Little Green Bag and a little Afternoon Delight, because I told her Nights Are Forever Without You, and I knew she was a real Sentimental Lady. I said come on baby, Come And Get Your Love, but with all the Spiders And Snakes runnin through my mind, I knew I'd be Hitchin' A Ride to nowhere. She was a real Hot Child In The City, a real Devil Woman looking for the Spirit In The Sky, just doing The Hustle and looking for Good Times. There was always Fire in her heart enough to cook Popcorn, and a Smoke From A Distant Fire lingering like a Wildflower and Falling Apart At The Seams. All she asked was More, More, More because she was Hooked On A Feeling about Making Our Dreams Come True.And it was Too Late To Turn Back Now, with her being in the Driver's Seat of my Chevy Van on a Beautiful Sunday, but I Saw The Light of my Imaginary Lover with Sad Eyes*who just wanted to Get Down Tonight on the Love Train. I said You Make Me Feel Like Dancing Higher And Higher, and I'd Really Love To See You Tonight just to to Dance With Me and Escape because I Never Can Say Goodbye Pretty Lady. I'm Your Boogie Man Up On The Roof and please Don't Leave Me This Way my Goodbye Girl with Ebony Eyes...Shannon...my Pretty Lady...

Need I go on to the 80's...whew!

• Members

ROFL Carmine and BroadSt! :D
Is it good that I remember Freedom Rock???

I guess it's better than spending thousands of hours and money at the record store or so I've been told. I was one of the first 500 to call and got the FREE bonus CD "Trash Hits of 1978"

Back when Trans Ams were the bomb, Gas was high and at times over a dollar!, you wondered if Cheryl Ladd could really replace Farrah, I'm with Tom Petty, I ain't paying more than $7.98 for no vynil record, my friend was always playing those five tones from "Close Encounters" while I was playing "Space Invaders" (which had Awesome graphics!), I thought those plexiglass Vista sets would probally get old after a while, Pearl 'Exports' and Sabian cymbals? never heard of them, Typing on a TV screen where others all around the world can see you what you're typing with no long distance charges? Bull! Maybe in a Star Trek show which they're making into a movie next year (1979):)

• Members

Gas was high and at times over a dollar!

OT- Were you like me and had to spend the night at a gas station in 72/73 with odd and even day distribution? I had to camp out in my old Ford Econoline 150 overnight, just to get enough to go to school. And I thought I'd never see the likes again...go figure! Now we just keep going up and up...

• Members
ROFL Carmine and BroadSt!
:D
Is it good that I remember Freedom Rock???

I guess it's better than spending thousands of hours and money at the record store or so I've been told. I was one of the first 500 to call and got the FREE bonus CD "Trash Hits of 1978"

Back when Trans Ams were the bomb, Gas was high and at times over a dollar!, you wondered if Cheryl Ladd could really replace Farrah, I'm with Tom Petty, I ain't paying more than $7.98 for no vynil record, my friend was always playing those five tones from "Close Encounters" while I was playing "Space Invaders" (which had Awesome graphics!), I thought those plexiglass Vista sets would probally get old after a while, Pearl 'Exports' and Sabian cymbals? never heard of them, Typing on a TV screen where others all around the world can see you what you're typing with no long distance charges? Bull! Maybe in a Star Trek show which they're making into a movie next year (1979)
:)

Holy crap, that brings back some memories. Trans Ams from the Smokie and the Bandit fame? haha - And I always preferred Cheryl Ladd over Farrah. I wouldn't touch Farrah since the Six Million Dollar Man was her husband. He could kick my ass. Never liked Star Trek but I was a complete and total Star Wars geek growing up.

• Members

Let me tell you about Cheryl Ladd. I played at the inaugural ball of the first President Bush. She was there and was GORGEOUS!!!! Norm Crosby the comedian came on and did a bit and said "I'd like to say hello to Chery Ladd in the audience tonight, who came along with her husband, who they just call "you lucky bastard"! And it was the truth...what a knockout! And let me tell you who else...Marilyn McCoo...Oh my god!!!!!!!!!!:thu: fine!:D

• Members

Cherly Ladd was on one of the first posters I put up in my room as a kid. Loved her until the Dukes of Hazzard came out and out walked Daisy Duke. LOL

Marilyn McCoo, I remember the name. Did she host Solid Gold in the early 80's?

• Members

Cherly Ladd was on one of the first posters I put up in my room as a kid. Loved her until the Dukes of Hazzard came out and out walked Daisy Duke. LOL

Marilyn McCoo, I remember the name. Did she host Solid Gold in the early 80's?

Yes...she was married to Billie Davis and was in a group called the Fifth Dimension who had a couple of #1 Singles...Aquarious, Up Up & Away etc. Here she is in 2006.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://delivery.viewimages.com/xv/72170664.jpg%3Fv%3D1%26c%3DViewImages%26k%3D2%26d%3D17A4AD9FDB9CF19396908EAF14430D35C9E1E4730258498BADC6245A218E8B94&imgrefurl=http://www.viewimages.com/Search.aspx%3Fmid%3D72170664%26epmid%3D3%26partner%3DGoogle&h=194&w=297&sz=37&hl=en&start=5&um=1&tbnid=Xcy1B86xPEIbKM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3DMarilyn%2BMcCoo%26imgsz%3Dsmall%257Cmedium%257Clarge%257Cxlarge%26ndsp%3D21%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DN

Now get this...she was born in 1943, so she's 63 years old in this pix...not too shabby even now!

• Members

Hi,
Remember the Bogen P.A. systems? Used bull horns for speakers. This is mid to late 60's. Then all the lucky bands used Sure vocal masters, and who can forget lugging around the Voice of the theatre cabinets and a couple os Leslie cabinets with a Hammond B3"OUCH"

Back then for me it was (in no special order)
The Beatles (Ringo)
ELP (Carl Palmer)
Zeppelin (Bonzo)
Yes (Bruford version)
King Crimson (Bruford again)
Mahavisnu Ochestra (Billy Cobham)
All Buddy Rich
Early Chicago (David S.) Can't spell his last name! you know, the Italian guy.
BST (Bobby Columby)
And many more. Great era for drummers.

• Members
Hi,

Remember the Bogen P.A. systems? Used bull horns for speakers. This is mid to late 60's. Then all the lucky bands used Sure vocal masters, and who can forget lugging around the Voice of the theatre cabinets and a couple os Leslie cabinets with a Hammond B3"OUCH"

Have you been looking in my garage? And it was called a Bogen "Challenger" I might add. We used everything you mentioned, including the Vocal Master (6-10 cabinets) twin sets of Lansing VOTs, and our different keyboard players used:

Vox Jaguar single manual organ
Farfisa organ
Wurlitzer electric piano
Fender Rhodes-suitcase model
Hammond Porta B
and finally a full B3 with twin leslie 122s (147s)

The Bs came later cause noone could afford one and most just thought the Leslies would do the trick! And let's not forget the original BOSE cabinets on the stands and the echoplex for special effects! Can I take you back or what!:D

• Members

Yes...she was married to Billie Davis and was in a group called the Fifth Dimension who had a couple of #1 Singles...Aquarious, Up Up & Away etc. Here she is in 2006.

Now get this...she was born in 1943, so she's 63 years old in this pix...not too shabby even now!

AH yes, I remember her now! yes pretty sweet. Solid Gold and the Solid Gold dancers, man what a show! I've loved the lip synching and "air" drumming on the drums.

I was really young during the early 70's but I remember the OPEC imbargo with Carter. In Okla. A lot of oilmen and oilfield workers made BIG money in the oilfields in Okla, Texas etc during that time.

Yes Smokey and the Bandit, CBs and trucks! My wife had a 1976 van when we met which we still have. It runs like a top but the alternator always goes up and down on long trips. The rust spots are getting bad too but it's the best haulin' and crusin' thing on four wheels. The biggest thing is how much of the thing is made of REAL metal, not plastic like you see today! You just don't have cars that last 30 years anymore hardly!

• Members

Twosticks...don't I know that. My 69 Ford E150 was ALL metal and really took a pounding. I know everything today is new and improved, but I also see everything now-a-days having planned obsolesxnce. hell, even the music gear back then was built to be road worthy...HEAVY...but fully transportable...

• Members
AH yes, I remember her now! yes pretty sweet. Solid Gold and the Solid Gold dancers, man what a show! I've loved the lip synching and "air" drumming on the drums.

I was really young during the early 70's but I remember the OPEC imbargo with Carter. In Okla. A lot of oilmen and oilfield workers made BIG money in the oilfields in Okla, Texas etc during that time.

Yes Smokey and the Bandit, CBs and trucks! My wife had a 1976 van when we met which we still have. It runs like a top but the alternator always goes up and down on long trips. The rust spots are getting bad too but it's the best haulin' and crusin' thing on four wheels. The biggest thing is how much of the thing is made of REAL metal, not plastic like you see today! You just don't have cars that last 30 years anymore hardly!

You need to call the dude from MTV and get them to Pimp Your Ride. I can imagine them putting a drum set in the back of that 76 van for you.:thu:

• Members

Check your grounds on the charging system..corrosion on them will act just like a resistor, and usually will help alternator die!

• Members
Am I the only one here who remembers Don Kirshner's Rock Concert show? And somebody has to say something about the REAL Saturday Night Live!

I remember Rock Concert, and I'll see that and go ya one better. I used to watch "Playboy after Dark" :thu: and ShinDig, Hullabaloo, and Where the Action Is with Paul Revere and the Raiders.

• Members

wow guys...thanks for the memories!! I'll add just a couple.
I remember the hihat fill in Incense and Peppermint (Strawberry Alrm Clock), a quick cheeeit, cheeeit. Sweet Pea (Tommy Roe) with that one two and da three e and four. Riding on the floor tom during Mony Mony...and being allowed to go wild,,filling in constantly on "I can see for miles" by the Who.
My God, the strobe lights! What a time.

• Members

Yes, I remember Shindig and Hullabaloo.

Does anyone remember the movie "Having a wild weekend"? It was a Dave Clark 5 movie. A buddy of mine and myself went to see it at the local movie theatre and we were bragging to a couple of girls that we had a band. I think I was 13 at the time. We did not realize there boy friends were there too. We got beat up pretty good after the show:-)

Funny you should mention Paul Revere and the Raiders. Our band opened up for them in Boston a couple times. They are still very entertaining, great players. Drummer is from Cuba, been with the raiders close to 30 years. Great drummer and a great voice. Once I figure out how to upload images I will put some pictures up.

• Members

Yes, I remember Shindig and Hullabaloo.

Does anyone remember the movie "Having a wild weekend"? It was a Dave Clark 5 movie. A buddy of mine and myself went to see it at the local movie theatre and we were bragging to a couple of girls that we had a band. I think I was 13 at the time. We did not realize there boy friends were there too. We got beat up pretty good after the show:-)

Funny you should mention Paul Revere and the Raiders. Our band opened up for them in Boston a couple times. They are still very entertaining, great players. Drummer is from Cuba, been with the raiders close to 30 years. Great drummer and a great voice. Once I figure out how to upload images I will put some pictures up.

Friends tell me there still playing down at Disney World from time to time. Now there doing the Branson Missouri gig...here ya go:

http://www.paulrevereraiders.com/main.html

Archived