Bill Bruford's band YES - recommendations?

zarazabas

• Members

Depends on the stuff you're looking for. The more popular stuff is on Fragile. I like them all but Fragile at least has a variety of different tunes. The tracks aren't album sides yet at that point. Don't forget some of his stuff with King Crimson if you can dig it up...

• Members

Depends on the stuff you're looking for. The more popular stuff is on Fragile. I like them all but Fragile at least has a variety of different tunes. The tracks aren't album sides yet at that point. Don't forget some of his stuff with King Crimson if you can dig it up...

Thanks Carmine, i'll check out Fragile first then. I'm not really sure what i'm looking for to be honest, just good music! I have a few King Crimson albums already, which i got because i had heard other drummers who i like cite Bruford as an influence, so i decided to check some of his stuff out. I really like the Crimson stuff so i thought i should look into some of his other stuff too. Have you heard any of his stuff with Earthworks?

• Members

Thanks Carmine, i'll check out Fragile first then. I'm not really sure what i'm looking for to be honest, just good music! I have a few King Crimson albums already, which i got because i had heard other drummers who i like cite Bruford as an influence, so i decided to check some of his stuff out. I really like the Crimson stuff so i thought i should look into some of his other stuff too. Have you heard any of his stuff with Earthworks?

Not really, I didn't keep up with him after he went out on his experimental thing a while back. He is a bitch of a drummer and a real complex, accurate precisionist though...

• Members

Peter Gaberiel left Genesis after "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" tour in 1975, Phil Collins was the singer for Genesis on 1976's "A Trick of the Tail" album. On the following tour, Bruford was the tour drummer.

Genesis made another studio album "Wind and Wurthering"( late 76'). The album "Seconds Out"(1977) is a Live album from that tour which includes a few songs that Bruford performed with the band (in 76'?). (I know 'Cinema Show' is one of them) and the others are Chester Thompson and Phil on drums.

For what it's worth, I hope this helps as well. :)

• Members

:wave:Check this one out by Yes as well, some great Bruford work here as well. Also Bill has a video out "Bruford and the Beat" It's kind of dated but still it's Bruford playing so enough said. Bill also has a technical book "When in Doubt, Let it Roll" Some great practice routines as well as some of his transcripts.

• Members

Bill has always been my favorite drummer, so I'm happy to give you some ideas of where to find his best playing.

With YES I'd start with the big three: Close To The Edge, Fragile, and The Yes Album (not YES, which is an earlier album). Close To The Edge is the pinnacle of his time with YES. Two earlier albums, YES and Time And A Word show off some of his jazzier roots. You can get the best of those two albums on Yesterdays, with the addition of YES's version of America by Paul Simon. Some hate their version, I like it. You can also check on YouTube and see video of them recording America.

With King Crimson I'd recommend Red, Starless And Bible Black, USA, and Larks Tounge In Aspic. In the 80's Crimson reformed and Bill did some nice work on Three Of A Perfect Pair, Beat, and Discipline. Some of their later stuff including the double trio THRAK material can take a little getting used to.

He was with Genesis on their Trick Of The Tail tour. There is a great cut of him on Cinema Show on the Seconds Out album. If you can find the British Import of Three Sides Live, the fourth side is live as well and includes a cut of Watcher Of The Skies/It from the Trick Of The Tail Tour.

RumStik is correct about finding UK's first album. It's got some of his best playing on it. Presto Vivace is a classic. You should also look for Concert Classics Vol. 4, a live album that has some songs the four original members never recorded in the studio. You get to hear Bill's version of Ceasar's Palace Blues, later recorded in the studio with Terry Bozzio in the group.

Feels Good To Me and One Of A Kind are two early solo albums. I'm not a big fan of the female singer on Feels Good To Me, but the instrumentals are great. One Of A Kind may be his best solo album and if I remember correctly it won Modern Drummer's best album that year.

As for Earthworks there have been many incarnation's, each with their own feel. Bill has been sort of a British Art Blakey, bringing along a new wave of young english jazz artists. It's a move away from progressive rock and back to his jazz roots. I have various versions of the band on CD. Dig and All Heaven Broke Loose are early versions of the band and quite interesting. My two favorites are Apart And Yet A Part, and Footloose And Fancy Free. The second is a live two disc CD.

Any questions or other recommendations, such as his piano/drum duets with Patrik Moraz, let me know.

• Members

All of the above as keric mentioned; also don't forget "B.L.U.E. Nights (Bruford Levin Upper Extremities)", an album he did with bassist Tony Levin, and "Master Strokes, 1976-1985" a compilation of the solo/jazzy stuff he did during that period.

• Members

:wave:Check this one out by Yes as well, some great Bruford work here as well. Also Bill has a video out "Bruford and the Beat" It's kind of dated but still it's Bruford playing so enough said. Bill also has a technical book "When in Doubt, Let it Roll" Some great practice routines as well as some of his transcripts.

+1 "Close to the Edge" is Yes' masterpiece.

• Members

All of the above as keric mentioned; also don't forget "B.L.U.E. Nights (Bruford Levin Upper Extremities)", an album he did with bassist Tony Levin, and "Master Strokes, 1976-1985" a compilation of the solo/jazzy stuff he did during that period.

I saw B.L.U.E. at The Bottom Line in NYC. What a great show. Tony Levin has to be one of my favorite bass players. A bit of a character as well.

• Members

^ I read somewhere that Bill said Tony was one of his fave musicians to work with.

Lucky you to see them at Bottom Line. I'm only 200 miles N of NYC but I haven't had the chance to get down there to catch any shows. I don't think Earthworks will be touring US anytime soon according to what Bill said recently in Drumhead mag :( ; they're doing well in 'Yurp though.

• Members

Close to the Edge is a must have album in my opinion. Not just for the drumming, but also it has some of the beutiful music on it. "And You And I" is one of my al time favorite pieces of music.

I also thouroughly agree with getting the first UK album. Excellent music on that one too. Amazing synth work by Eddie Jobson.

King Crimson - Disclipline is another one I agree with - the drumming takes a much different course there.

• Members

Who's the singer on the first UK? He's on a Holdsworth album too. Reminds me of Greg Lake.

RumStik is right. John Wetton was the lead vocalist for UK. He does have a Greg Lake quality to his voice. Maybe that's why he was lead vocalist for King Crimson after Lake left.

Bill's latest piano/drums duet venture with Michiel Borstlap is impressive as well.

Archived