do u ear plug up?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been wanting to get some ear plugs for practice lately. My brother uses some $300 ones he got, where they took molds of his ear and only he can use them. He got them somewhere in Chicago. You can adjust the decible reduction and he says you can still easily talk with and hear others. A little expensive, but maybe worth it.

• Members

So as of now I have been using the throw away foam ones that basically cut out everything. After this thread I have now switched the the hearos...

WOW

such an improvement for the minor cost difference. They are basically the price of a bulk pack of throwaways. Im surprised at how much more i like them

• Members
I've been wanting to get some ear plugs for practice lately. My brother uses some $300 ones he got, where they took molds of his ear and only he can use them. He got them somewhere in Chicago. You can adjust the decibel reduction and he says you can still easily talk with and hear others. A little expensive, but maybe worth it.

Skull Screws--I paid 5.95 for them ,ear plugs that cut 25-30 decibels, take a 6 buck chance before 300 ,right?:thu:

• Members

My brother uses some $300 ones he got, where they took molds of his ear and only he can use them. He got them somewhere in Chicago.

Sounds like they're Sensaphonics, which are quite nice.

I have some Ultimate Ears Super Fi 5's like Zeromus mentioned he's using. His are the extended bass designed mainly for Hip Hop/Soul listening. I use them for listening to my Zen. They sound great but I'm unhappy with the silicone fittings. They work well, but I haven't found any that won't work themselves loose from a lot of movement. I've wondered about the possibility of custom ear molds taken so that they would stay in better. Based on that, I couldn't see using them as a drummer for IEM's. They do sound great, and are quite a bit cheaper than the Sensaphonics. I think I paid about $130 for mine.

There's no way I could justify $300+ for IEM's. The quality of the monitor mix alone wouldn't be good enough to merit a hi-end IEM.

A cheap and effective IEM solution would be a set of Koss Plugs. They're about 20 bucks. They're foam and REALLY do a good job of isolating. The hi-end on them is pretty dull, so you need to EQ to get it up, but actually for a cheap set if buds, I was impressed. And they'll stay in your ears. And if you accidentally step on one you're only out 20 bucks. Can't say that about Sensaphonics.:thu:

• Members

Funny experience yesterday....I live in an apartment so I have to go to the local drum room down the street....I usually use the cheap foam ones when I'm not using my Shure E3's for jamming to MP3's....well they had a pair of vic firth isolation headphones there. So I put them on over the foam ones and it actually seemed to sound better for some reason. And double the protection. It was weird too because if I moved my jaw around I got a crazy "wah" or "talk box" effect from the drums.

Those VF's are definitly much better than the cheap foam plugs by themselves but I'm not a big fan of the "muff" design (love the other muff though :)

• Members
hi

im new to drums and work in the construction industry, i try to wear hearing protection, but i also reckon that it will be a god idea to use some for drumming also

what you guys wear?

chris
:thu:

I either use the cheap ones people get from Asda (or Wal Mart depending on your country!) which were recommended by Gregg Bissonette or I use Docs Pro Plugs which work slightly better because they don't block everything out. Best thing to do is to try several of the cheaper options so you don't end up spending loads when ther is no need!:thu:

Archived