do u ear plug up?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I always wear earplugs when I play, when I rehearse, go to shows, etc. I didn't for a long time, but learned my lesson and started. Now, I don't go without them.

I use some I got at Walmart for like 5 bucks, the db rating is in the low 20's if I recall right.

• Members

I always wear earplugs when I play, when I rehearse, go to shows, etc. I didn't for a long time, but learned my lesson and started. Now, I don't go without them.

I use some I got at Walmart for like 5 bucks, the db rating is in the low 20's if I recall right.

do u get that ringing sound in your ears now then?

• Members

Definitely use the plugs. I wear them loosely, not too tight. We're not trying to eliminate the sound, we're just trying to tone down some frequencies and manage the volume a little.

I've found that once I've adjusted to them and then take them out, the sound is so harsh and obnoxious. I think everything sounds better with them in.

Also, I'm the only guy walking off stage who isn't deaf from a night of intense volume. No ringing. I hear just fine.

There's no coming back from hearing damage, so protect your ears!

• Members

I forgot to pack them today for practice and played without them and I wont be doing that again anytime soon, my ears are ringing like crazy... Always protect your ears...

ouch, i use basic ear protection but it seems to do the trick my ears seem fine after practice

• Members

yeah but you gotta to get the right ones. not those cheap 99 cent ones that cram in your ear.

get these http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hearos-High-Fidelity-Ear-Filters?sku=421214

they're really worth it. you can still hear everything fine but it just filters out all the damaging highs. but if you have them on you can still have a conversation with a bandmate and hear everything fine. they're perfect.

• Members

yeah but you gotta to get the right ones. not those cheap 99 cent ones that cram in your ear.

get these

they're really worth it. you can still hear everything fine but it just filters out all the damaging highs. but if you have them on you can still have a conversation with a bandmate and hear everything fine. they're perfect.

i use industry standard ones that cost around 30 quid uk, expensive but rather pay that then lose my hearing

• Members

You can also loose your low end hearing just as fast as your high end hearing. If you loose your low end you are seriously screwed, b/c you won't be able to hear speech, where high frequency loss you won't hear "S" sounded etc. It doesn't matter what frequency the sound is, if it's at too high a SPL for too long, you will loose that frequency.

To answer the question, I always wear hearing protection. Plugs when I practice with my bands, and at shows. Isolation head phones when it's just me practicing. It does take some getting use to the difference in sound between the two, but it's very do able. If I didn't wear hearing protection, my snare would make me deaf in no time, solid shell metal snares (bell brass and copper).

• Members

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100083845&N=10000003+10401001

I used to use those and they were great, seriously as good as the musicians ones I'm pretty sure they're the same too, cuts off the same db's. Now I use my skull candy full metal jacket ear phones they cut off almost as much as the ear plugs and it's a good quality headphone

• Members

get these

+1million on those! Thats what I use every time!!

• Members

I have been subjected to a double whammy of sorts, in that the only thing I do as much as drumming is shooting rifles. I practice at the range several times a week shooting hundreds of rounds from big caliber guns. I cant tell you how many times I have been talking to people and all of a sudden, I lose all hearing and I just watch their lips move. It is seriously scary.

I have also been a gunner in the navy and didn't always wear hearing protection then either. I had an audiologist tell me I have 50% frequency loss in my right ear and 30% in my left. (can you guess which side I shoot from and which side my China WAS on?)

Now for 3 years I have been wearing one of those dorky looking headset muffs that I got from a friend who works at the airport runway. I dread it when I forget to wear any protection now as I get terrible tinnitis (ringing) in both ears with any real loud music for more than a few minutes.

THANKS TO YOU GUYS FOR POINTING OUT THOSE EARPLUGS. I will definately check them out, they look a lot less inconspicuous than those big YELLOW ear muffs I have been using.

• Members

I tried putting the earplugs i get from work, those disposeable ones, but find out the minute i out them in i tearing them straight out again cos i cant hear the top end of the guitars. I know i need the cos once i managed to get thru 3 songs before i took them out and man when we played the 4th song my ears couldnt beleive how loud it actually really is. I r eally need to hear that top end or so im lost. Maybe my hearing is already stuffed up! who knows. 15 years of playing without em :(

NICK

• Members

Yeah I've got mild tinnitus as well. To many years of loud concerts, loud drumming and jamming; ALWAYS listened to the stereo/walkman very loud. I started using the plugs a few years back an now won't play drums without them. I went to a three day concert last summer and about half of it I didn't use plugs and realized that was a big mistake. I just can't get away with that {censored} anymore. Even my guitar amp at close range on a bedroom level can cause an increase in the ring.

Check out the January 2007 modern drummer. There is an excellent article on hearing and protection.

If your young I would say you've got a choice to make. It IS awsome to rock out with no plugs....there's just something about music and concerts and rock that kicks ass when turned up. Even the very best plugs still don't give you that satisfaction. But ultimately it will come at a price...I made my choice and I don't regret it.....but now I am doing what I can to not make it worse.

• Members

I tried putting the earplugs i get from work, those disposeable ones, but find out the minute i out them in i tearing them straight out again cos i cant hear the top end of the guitars. I know i need the cos once i managed to get thru 3 songs before i took them out and man when we played the 4th song my ears couldnt beleive how loud it actually really is. I r eally need to hear that top end or so im lost. Maybe my hearing is already stuffed up! who knows. 15 years of playing without em
:(
NICK

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hearos-High-Fidelity-Ear-Filters?sku=421214

• Members

Huh...somebody say something? Nod or raise your hand. Yes unfortunately I nevered used any earplugs. The highs are shot in my right ear but the left is pretty solid. Spent the last 6 years with headphones for monitors with a click track banging away in the right. Maybe that's where the highs went... Do yourself a favor and wear something comfortable and protective...:thu:

• Members

Only 12 db reduction? Thats not enough.

this is from modern drummer;

volume of grooves at drummers ear no protection

quiet 105db

medium 110db

solid 115db

max 125db

Exposure time limits from the National Institute For Occupational Saftey and Health;

90 db for 2 and a half hours

95 db for 48 minutes

100 db for 15 min

105 db for about 5 min

The article has much more detail about how they get the results and the science behind it. To much to copy here. Regardless long term exposure at these levels will cause damage.

• Members

thats not right. on Hearos website, they say that it cuts upto 20db.

I think MF messed up with the description. In fact on their own website that provides a longer description it says 20 dbs.

fiddler

That sounds much better. Still I would rather be up around 30 though. Just a typo I guess.

Archived