GG-How Many of You Have Had Enough!

Carminemw

• Members

Tightheads, to me, anyway, was almost like an afterhours club. HC is where everybody could go, everybody gets in, and everybody was welcomed. that is great. Tightheads seemed like the place you go when you want a little more. A little strange, so to speak. If HC was Disney, TH was Bakshi.

If HC was Pearl Exports, TH was Sonor Signature. Maybe these arent good analogies, but thats how I saw it.

I really miss TH, and hope its up and running soon.

HC, she is NOT Disney. OK?

OK!

HAH!

/WD

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey, how did this turn into a HC vs. TH thread?

There have been accusations thrown at TH members far too often for things that have causes generally known to occur and reoccur on any other forum on the net. I you GG types are gonna start blaming TH for the mess this forum has been in ever since i first joined it ten years ggo, then i sure hope the more sensible people will get the {censored} out of here and get with the forum where people are people, and not politically correct robot psychos.

{censored} you whoever threw the first stone at TH.

• Members

i'm still trying to figure out what started this thread.

i've been on HC for a couple of years, and nothing seems out of the norm here.

as far as the HC vs. TH thing goes... let's just leave it as they are very different places and i doubt the influx of posts from TH members here has done anything negative to this forum. in fact, i doubt most people here notice any difference.

cheers!

• Members

At the end of the day, I don't see any of this really changing. First and foremost... this is the internet. It's a breeding ground of anonimity and people who aren't discussing things face to face with other people (at least at the time of posting), so there will always be a level of "stupidity" to wave through. It's also quite true that things tend to go in waves here - someone new will show up and anger everyone, or turn themselves into the self-appointed whipping mule (electric drums, anyone?).

The point of the matter is that any type of community needs to be maintained. If a good thread comes up, then chime in on it. Ignore the "what's the best bass drum pedal" questions and put the annoying people on "ignore" if it really upsets you that bad.

Ultimately, HC is probably the only forum I'll ever really use, since I'm not big on the internetting experience, but it's a great way to kill time on a slow day at work! :p

• Members
The point of the matter is that any type of community needs to be maintained. If a good thread comes up, then chime in on it. Ignore the "what's the best bass drum pedal" questions and put the annoying people on "ignore" if it really upsets you that bad.

Good point, you are about to be ignored...

...just kidding :p

• Members

Carmine,

I understand your feelings, but I generally agree with Fitch.

I see this place as a huge sandbox where everyone can play and those that don't like it, go play in their own little sandbox.

I'd much rather be playing or teaching, than typing on the internet anyway.

• Members

Carmine,

I understand your feelings, but I generally agree with Fitch.

I see this place as a huge sandbox where everyone can play and those that don't like it, go play in their own little sandbox.

I'd much rather be playing or teaching, than typing on the internet anyway.

For me Tom, by first coming here, I caught up on 15 missing years virtually in a career's blink. I learned, and grew, and questioned, and heaven knows, I disagreed. But through it all, I tried to keep some decorum and style. Granted, this confrontational atmosphere may be like this everywhere, but to me, it's not a justification...it's a symptom of something bigger than the sum of this group. These issues I have mentioned are not a TH/HC thing, it's not a young fart/old fart thing, not a metal/pop, noob/veteran or any of the other contrasts we have. As you and the others have said, I'll never be able to stop it, but damn straight if I can't try. Why? Because I do care, whether I've monetarily invested in this forum or not. My time is just as valuable as EVERYONE ELSES, and I've posted my share. I just don't see a need to waste it with ego or innuendo.

Maybe now that I'm getting back into playing, I'll be here less physically (a resounding relief to some of you) but that doesn't mean that my loyalties won't still be here. But I see enough crap out there in the real world every day, and I like coming here for a refreshing change. Call me a w

• Members

My time is just as valuable as EVERYONE ELSES...I just don't see a need to waste it with ego or innuendo.

Just remember...what is hip today just might be come passe...and then what will we have left?

Lots-o-words there Carm. Who were you quoting? Regardless, that's an absolute. If it's hip today, it will certainly be passe tomorrow, and what you're left with is the next hip thing. (not to be confused with Hip-Gig, which is a copyrighted name, and will fall out of fashion in another 3 years, but if you hold on to your Hip-Gig for 20 years it'll worth somethin' again)

Now on to the innuendo thing...

innuendo can be quite valuable. Why, just the other day I was tossing around some innuendo and it helped me get lucky! Bada-Bing! When well placed, an innuendo can go a long way to getting into someone's pants. Maybe folks here are just practicing?

• Members
Lots-o-words there Carm. Who were you quoting? Regardless, that's an absolute. If it's hip today, it will certainly be passe tomorrow, and what you're left with is the next hip thing. (not to be confused with Hip-Gig, which is a copyrighted name, and will fall out of fashion in another 3 years, but if you hold on to your Hip-Gig for 20 years it'll worth somethin' again)

Now on to the innuendo thing...

innuendo can be quite valuable. Why, just the other day I was tossing around some innuendo and it helped me get lucky! Bada-Bing! When well placed, an innuendo can go a long way to getting into someone's pants. Maybe folks here are just practicing?

Man I LOVE a quick witted thinker!!! Clever!!!:thu:

And Slappy...I like being around here as well! You're one of the comrads I look forward to hearing from all the time!:thu:

• Members
I'm still curious as to why there is a need to have a secret handsake club inside a forum environment. You're obviously a solid contributor, and the trivia and lyrics and such are actually a great idea, but why make it such an invite only thing with the whole "Geezer Guild"? Is it really that necesarry? I don't respond to any of those, because I don't feel the need to fit into a special category inside a public discussion. It's like there's a sort of high school "cliche" feel to it.

Oh man I'm sorry Ski, but the lyric thing isn't just for the Geezer Guild. I put the GG in front of it to let everyone know it's gonna be more in line with older classic stuff...like dated materials...same thing for the trivia. I don't have a clue about newer bnads and players so I just stick to items that I knew about. Anyone can jump in...well now I just feel stupid!:eek:

• Members
Oh man I'm sorry Ski, but the lyric thing isn't just for the Geezer Guild. I put the GG in front of it to let everyone know it's gonna be more in line with older classic stuff...like dated materials...same thing for the trivia. I don't have a clue about newer bnads and players so I just stick to items that I knew about. Anyone can jump in...well now I just feel stupid!
:eek:

Oh man, no worries I really had no idea, and just assumed that it was ONLY for the members of said guild. I'm glad I asked, I will definnly be more open to joining in on the discussions now. Although at 33, I'm not quite sure I can consider myself a geezer yet, but I really am looking forward to being a dirty old man when the time comes.

• Members

I agree with you ski. The little club thing that goes on here is utterly carried away. Go look in the guitar, bass and keyboard sections here. I noticed about a half dozen of them in the guitar section. I'm sorry. Just because I play and like Ludwigs, don't mean I want to be a member of the Ludwig Losers. Or the Pearl Piss Ants, or the Tama Toenails, or the Yamaha Yucks, or the dw dick heads, or the Pacific Poop Shooters, or the Sonor Senilitites, or the Gretsch Glands, or the Mapex Momma's Boys. I'm middle aged, cresting the hill and looking at a fast descent down the slippery slope of old age. The last thing I want to be a part of is a geezer guild.

• Members
Oh man, no worries I really had no idea, and just assumed that it was ONLY for the members of said guild. I'm glad I asked, I will definnly be more open to joining in on the discussions now. Although at 33, I'm not quite sure I can consider myself a geezer yet, but I really am looking forward to being a dirty old man when the time comes.

I'm 33 and a proud Geezer! :thu:

• Members
The last thing I want to be a part of is a geezer guild.

I could say "sorry....you won't have to" but I wouldn't be surprised if you wanted me to say that. Cheese...you are welcomed or not welcomed to be a member...it's up to you because I hold not ill feelings towards you or anyone here who truly values BEING a forum member here. I DO and will continue to be one with or without your blessing. If you have something to teach me as far as drumming goes, I'll value your opinions, but if it's just going to be a put down session, flame fest, or an oogling from the wings type of peer pressure diatribe, I'll pass on that one and just remain a member of the so called bushwa born looser old farts society. Just put me on your avoidance list and I guess never the twin shall meet...

And just for the record all, I made up the "bushwa born looser old farts society" as poetic license in gest. No one ever called the GG that so you don't have to go look it up in any previous thread...:D

• Members

Well, I've watched this thread from the start and have stayed away from it for the same reasons I haven't posted on several threads at all lately- I haven't felt the urge or need to.

I'd say from what I've read, everyone's had their opportunity to speak their piece. Some I've agreed with, and some I haven't, but let's be honest, we all knew it would be a "hot" thread as soon as we saw Carmine post it. But hell guy's let's let it go. All points well taken at this juncture.

I have a {censored} load of respect for a ton of people on here, too many to name. I got back into this late in the game and you guys are responsible for bringing me up to speed on drumming in general after 26 years of being away.

I see Carmine's point and understand where he's coming from. Ski's right- People suck today, both in the "real" world and the "perceived" world of the internet.

Since this is a Drum Forum, let's get back to talkin' drums. That's why I come here and I'm sure most all of you do.

I've learned a ton both on here and Tightheads. I hope Cheese you get it back up soon. Their just two different forums, GCR alluded to that clearly and he's right.

Yea, skip the threads that don't appeal to you and move on. I'd say it is cyclical. Plus Jenk's comment I'd say is absolutely dead on.

One final note and I'll shut the hell up. As far as the GG deal, I had a part in that as I egged Carmine on to do it. To me it's far from a click, (that's just how I spell it, easier for me), it's "tongue-in-cheek". I'm the last 49 year old that wants to friggin' grow up. If it's come off that way, as a click, that sucks. I've learned as much or more from you younger players as any of the older guys. I was as excited then to find a drum forum as I was getting back into playing. I dig this deal, all of it. If a custom drum maker came out with a new snare that had a vagina, I'd buy it. I can only dream I guess.

So anyway, let's just get on to the business of talkin' drums and raggin' on each other here and there and ignore the bull{censored}. Just my 2 cents.

(That snare with a vagina thing is probably a bad idea. It would most likely eventually turn on me, take me to court and get the rest of my kit, leaving me for a friggin' lead guitar player or somethin'.:freak:)

Later

Archived