Fun OT: Beer!

twosticks

• Members

That doesn't sound weird at all, sounds like you are alergic to hops, or something, I think that's fairly common, and the reason micro brews are worse is cause they actually have ingredients in it.

I'm alergic to milk and cheese, but I can get down on some velveta, same kinda thing.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Never had a drumming under the influence charge, but I'm sure there's
someone
here who has.

:wave:

Rogue makes fantastic beer. Dead guy, Super dead guy, it's all amazing.

Pilsener Urquell is the ideal beer. Grolsch is also a freaking treat.

The best beers worldwide are Belgian. Do yourselves a favor and find out why.

Yuengling is a great stand-by beer. Thank God I can buy it in MD, when I lived in Ohio I'd import it by the case whenever possible.

When it's hot and/or I'm broke, it's High Life. That's the only vaguely potable mass-brewed american beer. period. and I love it so...

This weekend its Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (joyful joyful...) and the Saranac Beers of Winter sampler. Anybody interested in different takes on traditional styles should pick one up: India Brown Ale? why the hell not?

• Members

:wave:

Rogue makes fantastic beer. Dead guy, Super dead guy, it's all amazing.

Pilsener Urquell is the ideal beer. Grolsch is also a freaking treat.

The best beers worldwide are Belgian. Do yourselves a favor and find out why.

Yuengling is a great stand-by beer. Thank God I can buy it in MD, when I lived in Ohio I'd import it by the case whenever possible.

When it's hot and/or I'm broke, it's High Life. That's the only vaguely potable mass-brewed american beer. period. and I love it so...

This weekend its Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (joyful joyful...) and the Saranac Beers of Winter sampler. Anybody interested in different takes on traditional styles should pick one up: India Brown Ale? why the hell not?

Yeah, this is why I enjoy thirst-quenching with Tim. Never a dull moment for my taste buds or my liver!

• Members

I'm an absolute beer snob, and have tried literally hundreds of different kinds/brands of beers. Beer isn't just a thrist-quencher for me; it's a hobby. I brew my own beer as well.

I tend to prefer dark ales (porters, stouts), and have a sick infatuation with India Pales (regular Pales also). There are some lagers and pilsners out there that I like as well, although most of them tend to be from across the pond. My favorite brewery out there is my local and trusty Summit Brewery.

And like T Hofmann pointed out, the best beers out there are Belgian. They are MASTERS at beer.

• Members

Ah, a topic close to my heart! My Scottish blood makes beer a very important topic to me.
:)

Widely available beers
: Newcastle is always good, .... and a Guinness is a safe bet.

Imports
: Anything Scottish.
:thu:
McEwan's is awesome but gets you MESSED UP. When I was in Scotland, I found the Isle of Skye brewery beers: Red, Black, and Brown Cuillin Ales, and are what God probably drinks. There were the three best beers I've ever had in my life.
:D

Ay, another Scotsman! Yeah, McEwans is a good bet. I'll have to try the Skye brewery beers on my next trip over.

Yuengling is good! A pal from PA brought some out and I was pleasantly surprised!

• Members

What is LCBO or beer store ?? sorry if I sound stupid. I really don't know how they sell alcohol in Canada. Any info would help. Thanks.

Well it depends on the province as they all have different laws but generally they are sold in government controlled stores. At this point many provinces have allowed "beer and wine" stores which are privately run but can't sell hard liquor. And these store get their supply from the government distribution centers anyway. Basically they offer a bit of convenience (open later) and getting your beer cold.

Alberta is an exception as I they have a fully private system. It's funny though because contrary to popular canadian opinion alcohol is MORE expensive on average in Alberta as compared to say BC.

Personally I think its a good system. It's totally profitable and the Liquor board employees make good money and they are not afraid to card people who might be minors. They can refuse people who are drunk or might be buying for minors without fear that their boss might fire them for losing sales as in the private stores. It's taxed pretty high in canada but the revenue is suppose to go to treatment and health; (in theory anyway) and given that alcohol is responsible for a very large percentage of illnesses, I think that's fair. (I think its something like 80% of hospital beds in N. America are filled with people who have smoking or alcohol related illnesses.)

As for beer, my favorites that I've tried so far are Australian. Coopers Pale Ale is my all time favorite beer and James Boags and Cascade are two others from down under that I think blow the doors off of anything else I've had. And that does include German beer thank you very much.

• Members

Don't drink anymore due to medical reasons but my choices where German Weiss beers, my bother-in-law would bring a case over every six months,nothing but the best in taste when it comes to German beers,real smooth,next would be Grolsch,good beer and last would be Becks at ice cold temps with the glass frosted white for about an hour. Man this is too early in the morning to be talking beers:facepalm:

• Members

I learned to drink alcohol at my rowing club, we usually only have Heineken. When they started building our new club house a few years ago, Heineken first put two 1000 liters beer tanks in the basement before the rest of the building was built :lol:

I however like Amstel more. I also like the dutch beer Alfa very much. Jupiler (Belgian) is good from time to time.

Last summer I did a huge roundtrip through the USA. The first weeks were with a friend and we didn't drink very much then.

The first night I was on my own in Chicago i ran into this huge Jazz Festival. I figured I'd get myself a beer. They only had Heineken, Heineken Light and Amstel Light, WTF!!!!

Heineken light isn't even sold in Holland :p

• Members

It's silly cause around here, most everyone drinks Smirnoff Ice, those vodka coolers that taste pretty sweet. It's pretty much what everyone drinks when they start, since it goes down easy... but most keep drinking it.

I can't stand the stuff, too much like candy and at 7%, tends to result in rough nights for those who don't know how to handle it.

I'll drink it if it's all they got (sometimes happens) but most of the time I prefer bud, bud lite, or keith's.

Archived