Moving a big kit on and off quickly

korgan

• Members

Friendly hello to everyone again!

I'm preparing for my senior recital (Bachelor or Music), and of the many things on the program two will be drum set pieces. The later will be a jazz trio -- my own arrangement of Night in Tunisia -- the other is a drum set/multi-percussion duet by Max McFarland titled Synergetic Simpatico. It really is going to be a fun piece to play, but I'm worried about getting both my kit and the multi-percussion set ups off the stage in timely manner.

I've included a picture of the setup below, but keep in mind that my kit will be on a rack, excepting of course the hihats and the pedals. It may be feasible to build a rack for the multi-percussion setup as well.

The problem here arises when you remember that while this piece will be the first on the program (in order to allow for maximum setup time), the piece following it will be for marimba and all of this will need to be removed from the stage in a window about two minutes. Wheels? I do have alot of helping hands, will that be enough?

Anyhow, enough ranting, tell me what you think. Thanks!

SynSimp-Setup.jpg

• Members

Willy - I'm going to have some of the stage workers backstage with me in order to help bring instruments on and off stage. I guess I'll just have to make sure that things are rehearsed in advance, and get it done quickly.

Fortunately for me the diagrams were included with the score. I'm not exactly sure what program they were drawn up in, but if I have any thoughts, I'll post 'em up here.

sirskatealot - I've actually had that thought but 1. I don't know how stable of a performance platform that would be, and 2. I doubt that a cart that size could maneuver the catacombs of the backstage area. Food for thought though, definitely.

Thanks to the both of you. Any other thoughts? The more I think, the more I'm pretty sure it'll end up being leg work that solves it.

• Members

Just a small addition, aside from the "many hands make the work quick" thoughts expressed hereinabove. ..

I'd also make sure that the place in which the set ups are gonna go after they're struck from the stage is clear of obstructions and easy to get to. Knowing where they're gonna go, how to best get them there and the most efficient placement of them when they get there are considerations I'd make.

Just a thought.

Have fun w/ the recital. Break a leg.

• Members

Willy - I'm going to have some of the stage workers backstage with me in order to help bring instruments on and off stage. I guess I'll just have to make sure that things are rehearsed in advance, and get it done quickly.

Fortunately for me the diagrams were included with the score. I'm not exactly sure what program they were drawn up in, but if I have any thoughts, I'll post 'em up here.

sirskatealot - I've actually had that thought but 1. I don't know how stable of a performance platform that would be, and 2. I doubt that a cart that size could maneuver the catacombs of the backstage area. Food for thought though, definitely.

Thanks to the both of you. Any other thoughts? The more I think, the more I'm pretty sure it'll end up being leg work that solves it.

Ditto on carts. See if the prop people have any rolling platforms.

• Members

In college, I played a talent show and used an 8'x8' platform with casters underneath it for my kit. The whole thing was at most 6" off the ground and just cheap construction, pair of 4x8 sheets of plywood on top and a basic frame underneath. It worked. As long as you have the room on stage to use such a device, go for it. The innovation may show your advanced level of dedication to everyone.

Otherwise, you can move it all by hand with enough people in less than two minutes. I have a 6 piece kit (7 of you count the aux snare) with 7 cymbals on a rack, double bass pedal, hi-hats, floor tom and two of us can relocate the kit easily in 2 minutes.

• Members

Ok, so it seems like maybe using a cart to unload from the stage may be efficient? I'm planning on moving this all into an empty storage room made for two grand pianos, so there will be plenty of room. But thanks Beaker... it will be tight with two marimbas, four timpani, a piano, and all this stuff. I think the halls will end up storing some of the other instruments so that we can just wheel this stuff into the storage room.

Thanks for the encouragement all! It seems like maybe even the carts that they use to cart the front ensemble during marching season might work just to load things off. I guess we'll see.

Jenks - I don't think you really understand what I'm doing. This is not an original piece, it is a piece composed by someone else. They arranged the parts, wrote out the instrumentation, and also kindly provided the chart shown above. I am simply performing the piece.

Archived