Trying a Neil Peart set up

Thirsty93

• Members

Thats a curious qoute. The rap against Peart seems to revolve around the fact that he is pure, cold technique, with very little feeling to his playing, as opposed to someone like Bonham, Watts, etc. However, wouldnt students do well to study someone like Peart purely for the technical aspects that he would bring to their playing? Like him or hate him, hes a technical monster, and I cant imagine a study of his methods and techniques harming anyones technique, as long as the other greats were studied too. What do you think? Am I off base or misinterpreting your point?

Well, when I wrote that I was coffee-deficient, but I think what I meant was that such an unusual setup probably only works for Peart. Younguns are impressionable, as I discover from checking out another forum. :facepalm: They're full of "gotta have this because so-and-so's got it."

See, I went through the whole conservatory scene, I remember a cello player bitching because if she studied with one teacher she'd have to have her cello nearly flat--because that's what the teacher did--while if she studied with another she'd have to have it nearly straight up and down--ditto. She played in-between and wasn't up for a dramatic technique change.

Yeah, much to learn from Peart, but I never did and the kid hasn't because neither of us can stand the singer for longer than 30 seconds. He's way into Gavin Harrison, though, so that's cool.

By the way, hows your kids band coming along?
:wave:

Thanks for asking. Actually it gives me an excuse to post these--he's got an awful lot of {censored} to hit, but everything's within reach and he doesn't have to reach above his shoulders to hit his highest tom! This is a freebie they played Friday night, they're honing up for a BOTB round upcoming. Too bad you can't see the K Custom Hybrid ride or the Eliminator double that reduced my Christmas haul to a nice fleece and my wife's to a couple of books!

IMG_2328R.jpg

IMG_2329R.jpg

• Members

YYZ is a Rush song like JimmyNZ said, but it also stands for the airport desination they fly into when returning home to Canada. WW

Here's my smaller electronic (Yamaha/Pintech/DIY) version of NP's kit:

1purple-rear.jpg
2purple-front.jpg
4purple-tomsS.jpg

That is by for the sweetest elec.kit I have seen:thu:

I just like to try new things with my kit,:)

• Members

Well, when I wrote that I was coffee-deficient, but I think what I meant was that such an unusual setup probably only works for Peart. Younguns are impressionable, as I discover from checking out another forum.
:facepalm:
They're full of "gotta have this because so-and-so's got it."

See, I went through the whole conservatory scene, I remember a cello player bitching because if she studied with one teacher she'd have to have her cello nearly flat--because that's what the teacher did--while if she studied with another she'd have to have it nearly straight up and down--ditto. She played in-between and wasn't up for a dramatic technique change.

Yeah, much to learn from Peart, but I never did and the kid hasn't because neither of us can stand the singer for longer than 30 seconds. He's
way
into Gavin Harrison, though, so that's cool.

Thanks for asking. Actually it gives me an excuse to post these--he's got an awful lot of {censored} to hit, but everything's within reach and he doesn't have to reach above his shoulders to hit his highest tom! This is a freebie they played Friday night, they're honing up for a BOTB round upcoming. Too bad you can't see the K Custom Hybrid ride or the Eliminator double that reduced
my
Christmas haul to a nice fleece and my wife's to a couple of books!

IMG_2328R.jpg

IMG_2329R.jpg

Got it. I understand where your coming from about Peart. I dig him, but frankly, Gavin Harrison is doing it for me in a big way lately. I really like his stuff.

The kids gig looks really cool. Hes older than I thought! For some reason, I dont know why, I always pictured a young 10 or 12 year old.

As far as christmas, I hear you. a few pair of Air Jordans, some videos and a whole lot of other toys seriously deleted mine and the wifes haul.

Somehow, though, its all worth it, dont ya think?

• Members

I think ALOT of the people that say things about Neil's playing are just jealous of the way he can play.It's like Eric Clapton guitar playing,if you ever read eric's autobiography you will know that these guys are perfectionist's.you got to figure these guys do this day in and day out for most of there lives and have the means and capability of having other great people show them a trick or too.It would be nice to get invided to DW and Sabian and have them say let's design and build anything you want.WHAT A LIFE!!!

• Members

Thats a curious qoute. The rap against Peart seems to revolve around the fact that he is pure, cold technique, with very little feeling to his playing, as opposed to someone like Bonham, Watts, etc. However, wouldnt students do well to study someone like Peart purely for the technical aspects that he would bring to their playing? Like him or hate him, hes a technical monster, and I cant imagine a study of his methods and techniques harming anyones technique, as long as the other greats were studied too.

What do you think? Am I off base or misinterpreting your point?

OK. nunna my biz but you know I can't resist a shot at Neo.

Technical monster. I find this curious. What can he do besides hit stuff in order? He doesn't even seem particularly coordinated. ??

• Members

drumtechdad,

Your son has a sweet looking acoustic kit. I'll bet he's having a blast at that age playing in a band. Brings back memories from way back for me. I never gave NP much thought until I picked-up "Anatomy of a Drum Solo". Wow! It's amazing to see him breakdown his solo techniques.

thirsty93,

Thanks, I would love to sit behind your kit for awhile. I did the purple sparkle wrap and installed the Pintech triggers on the acoustic drums. The hardest part was matching the purple on the three high toms with the purple sparkle wrap. Kinda fun though.

Here's the red kit I had before the purple one:

1above-back.jpg

3front-mid1.jpg

• Members

I think ALOT of the people that say things about Neil's playing are just jealous of the way he can play.

Don't be silly. One can admire a man's accomplishments and abilities without being a fan of the uses to which he puts them. Meanwhile, one is jealous of Peart yet not jealous of, say, Buddy Rich or Gavin Harrison?

Nope. It's called taste. No accounting for it!

It would be nice to get invided to DW and Sabian and have them say let's design and build anything you want.WHAT A LIFE!!!

Now yer talkin'. :wave:

[see? I managed to write this post without a single mention of 23" bass drums. No, wait . . . :p ]

• Members

OK. nunna my biz but you know I can't resist a shot at Neo.

Technical monster. I find this curious. What can he do besides hit stuff in order? He doesn't even seem particularly coordinated. ??

Of course its your biz! We're having a good time here, albeit the same one we always seem to have on this site regarding Neo.

Technical monster. He hits stuff in order. What drummer doesnt? Take Thomas Lange. No one is going to say that he cant play. However, if youve ever heard him play with a full band, hes a horror. Minneman, Mangini, same thing. All these uber-technical guys with the four way coordination that is unthinkable for us mere mortals, are technical monsters, yet have, in my humble opinion, very little groove or passion. Now, Peart, I suppose, could fit into this category, but the fact remains that he is a technically minded drummer who also happens to have had success with a band.

So I think that love Rush, or hate Rush, the fact remains that "technically" Peart is a very accomplished drummer. Would you agree with this?:confused:

• Members

Of course its your biz! We're having a good time here, albeit the same one we always seem to have on this site regarding Neo.

Technical monster. He hits stuff in order. What drummer doesnt? Take Thomas Lange. No one is going to say that he cant play. However, if youve ever heard him play with a full band, hes a horror. Minneman, Mangini, same thing. All these uber-technical guys with the four way coordination that is unthinkable for us mere mortals, are technical monsters, yet have, in my humble opinion, very little groove or passion. Now, Peart, I suppose, could fit into this category, but the fact remains that he is a technically minded drummer who also happens to have had success with a band.

So I think that love Rush, or hate Rush, the fact remains that "technically" Peart is a very accomplished drummer. Would you agree with this?
:confused:

That's the part that snags though. Admittedly I don't pay any attention to Rush. I still go by my original smug impressions about them. I have yet to hear anything from them that might even tempt me to brave the Rush experience in sufficient depth to understand Neo's mastery of Rushcraft. Such as that is, I do think Peart's drumming is advanced intermediate kit stuff at best. I think the sheer numbers of Peart clones bears this out. There's a learning curve for sure but it's mostly rock with more specific connective rolls and fills.

• Members

Thirsty, really nice man and looks fun!

WildWes, very cool ekits, 'specially the purple

DTD, Your boy is growing. Kit looks great!

mrias, DTD, race, 1001, Thirsty- NP. Can't even catch up, nor do I need to, carry on.

race, that second shot of them in the gym must have been VERY early, like right at or before Fly By Night maybe? That would have been cool.

Doug and Tim, battle on.........................lefty loosy, righty tighty

• Members

Thirsty, really nice man and looks fun!

WildWes, very cool ekits, 'specially the purple

DTD, Your boy is growing. Kit looks great!

mrias, DTD, race, 1001, Thirsty- NP. Can't even catch up, nor do I need to, carry on.

race, that second shot of them in the gym must have been VERY early, like right at or before Fly By Night maybe? That would have been cool.

Doug and Tim, battle on.........................lefty loosy, righty tighty

Thanks marko46.

They've been a labor of love and fun to play. WW

smiley-music013.gif

Archived