"Influence"

BenG

• Members

Influence. The word means so much. Who you listen to, What you listen to, how you listen to it, why you listen to it, what you play, why you play it...etc. What do you guys generally look to when seeking influence? A certain genre? Artist? Song? Teacher?

I just think it's interesting to see what else people do when looking for a little upper. Recently, I will watch anything by Benny Greb, listen to "No Place Like Soul"; an album by Soulive. Or Maceo's work with Jamal Thompson.

• Members

My dad liked classical music so I've always been biased that way. Not so much toward the genre but the sheer craftsmanship - the attention to detail, the completeness... I use that attitude to drive the unhacking of my craft... lot's of work to do there.

• Members

genre-wise, I normally gravitate towards newer progressive/experimental music.

A lot of those guys (Jon Theodore, Chris Tsagakis, Zach Hill, Andrew Forsman, Thomas Pridgen) play with so much technicality and so many intricacies that it drives me crazy.

I always listen very closely to those guys and try to listen for all the nuances and little fills (how they do them, where they place them, how does it complement the music). Then, I try to adapt some of it into my own playing and think about where everything should fit and what I can add to make what I do better.

Ultimately, I'm influenced by music that makes me think.

• Members

I have lots of influences, though I prefer the term "inspirations." I've been listening to lots of Simon Wright lately, both his AC/DC and Dio work. I love his playing--solid, heavy, and precise, like a modern Bonham.

For me, to be "influenced" is to incorporate elements of that drummer's style into your own playing. My playing reflects a mixture of different influences, all quite different. They're drummers whose work I always find interesting and listen to constantly. These players include Cozy Powell, Phil Rudd, Dave Holland, Vinny Appice, Mick Fleetwood, Roger Taylor, Bill Ward, Dave Lombardo, Mike Wengren, Pete Thomas, Lee Kerslake, Tommy Aldridge, Aynsley Dunbar, Alan White, and Jimmy Chamberlin.

• Members

Rudiments provide great inspiration, when looking for it aside from the obvious. Separating the L from R, different drums or surfaces, can really produce great rhythms and polyrhythms.

Then there are always my musical influences. Won't go into all of that because I'm tired.

• Members

i think besides people influencing the way we play, our gear does too. My friend's dad owns a recording studio and once in a while we get to mess around with all the different kits and snares he has. Going from a high tuned piccolo snare, where you'd probably like to play lots of ghost notes and funk, to a real low, fat snare, where you'd probably just rock the {censored} out/ or ballad- has a big influence on how you go about playing the instrument.

• Members

I don't seek influence, but sometimes I'll hear a lick and try to imitate it--then do something with it that I like better. For me it's usually something simple like playing the hats with my feet on the off-beat of a fill; it's not a huge change technically, but it can really mess with the feel of a lick.

Mikestix also has a really good point--I'll play differently depending on the sort of kit that I'm using

Archived