Underrated

ArtVandelay

• Members

Same thing that happened to Billy Squire's career. You go prancin' around in a woman's blouse .. unless you're Freddy Mercury.. .you're in for a major fail.

I saw Billy Squier with the Ringo Star All Star band last summer. He can still rock the house. Gregg Bisonette on drums too by the way. Wearing flamboyant women type clothes never seemed to hurt Steven Tyler or the lead singer for the Black Crows.

• Members

Go back and listen to some Buddy Holly. Jerry Allison was a hell of a drummer for his time. Probably not too many people know.

Did he play on the recording of Peggy Sue? I once saw the drummer on that demonstrate the "groove" for it. He said he just turned off the snares and played paradiddles all the way thru. I always thought it was pretty neat.

• Members

I saw Billy Squier with the Ringo Star All Star band last summer. He can still rock the house. Gregg Bisonette on drums too by the way. Wearing flamboyant women type clothes never seemed to hurt Steven Tyler or the lead singer for the Black Crows.

Yes, but they don't prance around.

• Members

I love all of the names I am seeing but I have to throw this out there.

Steve Bowman, he is the drummer on the Counting Crows first album "August And Everything After". Even if you are not a fan you have to listen to the drum tracks, this guy's musicality is by far some of the best I have ever heard.

• Members

+1 on Prairie Prince.

You know who I rarely if ever see mentioned here? Chad Wackerman. He followed Vinnie into Zappa's band, played with Holdsworth, Men At Work, and many others as well as touring as a drum duet with Bozzio.

Here's another - Stan Lynch from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. (Not that his replacements have been anything but stellar but he's the original and doesn't get enough credit IMO.)

• Members

My entry: Al "Tootie" Heath

He's the guy who played on Nina Simone's My Baby Just Cares For Me. He played on the whole of her first album - Little Girl Blue - and has a great feel. Also did some tasty stuff with Wes Montgomery.

He's one of those handful of drummers from that time who preferred to play in a supportive roll, rather than go for 20 min drum solos or over-playing. Al Harewood is another drummer like that.

I just love Heath's feel and when he does solo, it's usually short, to the point, tasteful and brings a smile to my face. Can't ask for more than that.

Not much on yootoob featuring him, but there is a bit. However, if you search for The Heath Brothers you'll hear a fair bit of him.

• Members

Tony Thompson (RIP) also came to mind recently - I saw the vid for Some Like it Hot on VH1 classic. He was really awesome. His playing even made a lot of disco enjoyable. All the stuff with Chic...and his drumming on Upside Down at the beginning is so cool (and I really don't much like the song, but the drums in it are kick ass so I always leave it on if I catch it). Then his stuff with Bowie, Robert Palmer, and the Power Station is all awesome. He also played with Led Zeppelin a couple of times.

Archived