Underrated

ArtVandelay

• Members

Was listening to some Stone Temple Pilots today and was getting lost in the awesome drumming of Eric Kretz. Got me thinking about drummers I love who never get much mention when people talk about favorite drummers.

2 that come to mind for me are:

1. The aforementioned Eric Kretz. I always felt like he has a very Bonham-esque quality without being an obvious imitation. He also fit STP's music perfectly.

[YOUTUBE]EIQf_3Cw6Q4[/YOUTUBE]

2. Tyler Stewart from Barenaked Ladies has to play thru a variety of styles and plays the perfect parts for all the BNL songs be it power pop, country, swing, or klezmer.

• Members

I'm not a huge fan of heavier music, but I loved the Pilots in their heyday. Them and Soundgarden (although there seemed to be a little rivalry between the two if interviews were anything to go by). Matt Cameron is a great drummer, but I don't think he's underrated (seems to get a lot of respect).

• Members

Chuck Biscuits. He was/is THE rock basher. Love me some Biscuits, which is saying alot, because i can't stand rock bashers. Fit Danzig perfectly, nobody has captured that vibe since.

CEM....BIG TIME respect for that call.....I wasn't sure anyone remembered Chuck.....

Here's some really old biscuits with his first band....Punk pioneers DOA

[YOUTUBE]gCfb4Rn2uwM[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Wow, good call on Tyler Stewart! Any drummer who's job it is to switch styles on a whim gets high points in my book.

Based on that, I need to toss into the ring Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz from Weird Al Yankovic's band and Ryland Steen from Reel Big Fish. Both of those guys need to hop around during the tunes and make it feel legit!

Dominic Howard of Muse... yes! :thu:

• Members

Crap,

I can't think of anybody after watching that vid man..

All I can think of is what a crazy ass front man he is.. Dude is an amazing showman.

I think it was in 96 when they released Tiny Music, I saw them live. It was one of the best shows that I have ever seen. The old guy's first experience in a mosh pit and I held my own. Sent my 50 year buddy crowd surfing. It was a real rock show.

By the way, I always thought Buddy Miles was underrated and you know Eric Singer is a solid rock player, good live too. Don Brewer kinda underrated, I could on.:blah:

• Members

Plush. Creepy subject. Awesome tune. The easiest drumming I've never heard anyone nail.

+1 to that statement. I've heard a million and one cover bands play STP, and they ALL do "Plush," and it always feels bad. That's one of those tunes that guitarists, bassists, and vocalists can nail, and drummers... well, they tend to let it down.

• Members

Chuck Biscuits. He was/is THE rock basher. Love me some Biscuits, which is saying alot, because i can't stand rock bashers. Fit Danzig perfectly, nobody has captured that vibe since.

Agree 100% with you man.. Hasn't been worth a crap since. He was the perfect drummer for early Danzig.

• Members

Scott Underwood - Train

Harry Blazer

Joey Kramer - Aerosmith

Ali Jackon Jr. - Wynton Marsalis (Check out the drum solos on tracks 8 and 10 on Wynton Marsalis and Willie Nelson Two Men with the Blues)

Alex Van Halen - Van Halen (Yeah, he's a big star. But when people talk about the great rock drummers, he's seldom mentioned. He's phenomenal.)

• Members

Agree 100% with you man.. Hasn't been worth a crap since. He was the perfect drummer for early Danzig.

Hell, that entire original lineup was a monster. Eerie Von, John Christ, Biscuits, just a total powerhouse. Why they didn't get together after Tiny Elvis is beyond me.

• Members

And from WAY OUT of left field. . . I give you. . Marc Craney. This guy could groove his ass off. Pay no attention to the flouncing gaywad in front of the band. . . just close your eyes and listen to the drumtracks.

There's a pretty cool drum break at about 4:40 into the clip.

[YOUTUBE]vHt1t-GxNWw[/YOUTUBE]

This one's not bad either. Again, pay no attention to the whispybarechested studio 54 reject singer.

[YOUTUBE]r_pGNpk6CxI[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I have a bunch of the early stuff. Ross Vannelli is the only one who got jazz rock right. Great changes and zero brass. Every tune is a milestone in stuff I'd never have thunk. They should've stacked Grammys with that stuff. Wonder what happened?

Archived