Is my friend giving me a good deal?

viic

• Members

My friend is selling me a bass drum, with the two air toms and one floor tom and a throne for $200, Its a Pearl Custom Export, I think the deal is pretty great and comparing the prices I have seen online it looks like a steal, he says its in perfect shape and the drum heads are fine. He said he could get me a crash stand and a ride stand and a pedal for another 100, so In total I would pay $300 for all of the things mentioned.

Do you guys think I should go for it, Ive been wanting to get a drumset for a while now, and I have the chance, or do you think I should wait and buy other set?

Also I would need some input on cymbals and I want a good snare, Im asking him the specifications of the pedal and stands tomorrow. Sorry for all these newbie questions, thanks

• Members

Doesn't sound like too bad of a deal. I've heard Export Customs sounds pretty nice before. If you want a good snare, find a used Ludwig Acrolite somewhere, and do the same for your cymbals. Don't skimp on your cymbals. I'm sure everyone else will say the exact same thing, but you can make crappy drums sound good, but you can't fix a bad cymbal. Don't buy new. LossForGain has some great deals in the spam section of these here message boards. You can't go wrong with any of his stuff.

• Members

I'm with Thomas, the drums sound like a good deal. You will be given lots of advice about snare drums. It will bode you well to splurge out on a decent snare that you can afford. Snare drums tend to become drummers best friends (cymbals too).

Welcome to the forum.

• Members

I'm with Thomas, the drums sound like a good deal. You will be given lots of advice about snare drums. It will bode you well to splurge out on a decent snare that you can afford. Snare drums tend to become drummers best friends (cymbals too).

Welcome to the forum.

+1 ,it sounds good,--air toms??????

• Members

Not real up on that brand so can't really say if $300 for this is good or not. However, just make sure going in you understand that after you buy this you'll only be about 40% there money wise. I've put together a list of other things you'll need to make it a real drum kit that you could actually play:

hi-hat stand and hi-hat cymbals - $250

snare drum - $100

snare drum stand - $45

ride or crash cymbal - $100

second ride or crash cymbal - $100

Even if you only buy one ride or crash cymbal, you're still lookin' at another $500 you'll have to throw into this to have something you can play.

Just a quick look in my area found:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg

/1189688565.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/msg

/1188729369.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/1188660629.html

You may be able to find some better deals but these are pretty much bottom line prices. If it were me, I'd look for a used kit that already has all of this stuff for around $500 or less. I see 'em on craigslist all the time.

Archived